• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Harbaugh wants to leave. He is a west coast guy coaching one of the most storied Franchises in the NFL. This becomes a relationhip Issue with Baalke and no offense this falls on him. U saw how long it took to find us a good HC. it took like 10 years. We don't want to go through this again. I thought winning is suppose to make everyone happy.

I don't blame Harbaugh for not wanting a Extension. He has made it to 3 NFC championship games and 1 superbowl. Only coach in History to do that. Yes he is missing a Ring but damn the Guy is a Top 3-5 HC in the league.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tweeted Jed York on Saturday telling him fans prefer Harbaugh over Baalke and if Harbaugh leaves the 49ers he's organization will lose support and he blocked me. My statement was something he probably didn't want to hear.

I don't blame him. If I'm an owner, I want to have support/nonsupport based upon winning and losing, not who I have on the team. The pressure is to win, not the pressure to have fan favorites or please those who would leave if so and so wasn't on the team. I'm sure he got these when the QB switch was made and that wasn't linked to winning because both won. If we lose without Harbaugh, and I think that's what would happen, then he can hear it because we'll lose more often. For what? A few million that's not on the cap?

I wonder if owners would prefer coaches to be subject to the cap, but increase the cap accordingly. (Make players and coaches make 50% as opposed to players making 48%.) "I'm sorry, Coach, we'd love to pay you to win for us and you're a winner, but then you'd have fewer players to win with." It would put their money where their mouth is in terms of asking players to take one for the team. This isn't a big deal because coaches make less than many players who have taken less than they could to stay on the team or get help around them.

No one wants to be restricted in paying, so my guess is no, they wouldn't want him subject to the cap, plus it's less money for the team - however, if it worked against other owners, they'd like it. So I suppose the only owners to be in favor of it would be those with bad coaches because they want to limit other better teams in their cap and coaches. If the owner has a good coach, it would just take money away from having good players.

Last edited by a moderator:

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I tweeted Yed York on Saturday telling him fans prefer Harbaugh over Baalke and if Harbaugh leaves the 49ers he's organization will lose support and he blocked me. My statement was something he probably didn't want to hear.

of course not.. no one wants to hear spouted ignorance

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how soon we'll see some photo-ops of the two interacting. Maybe a few smiles or laughs. I know that if it appears as a photo-op it would be acknowledgement of strains and caring about the perception, but if it looks natural and is out there in regular circulation, it'd be good. It wouldn't change how things actually are, good or bad, just get it out of the air a bit.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Is this story just the tip of the iceberg??? The media is taking this football and running for a TD in the slow offseason, but where there's smoke there's usually a fire.

"A high-ranking NFL personnel evaluator I ran across at the NFL scouting combine Thursday morning said he was hearing sensational stories about the San Francisco 49ers. He would not elaborate because the stories were unsubstantiated, but we can assume at least one of them found its way into the news over the weekend." insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=7568

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh has worn out his welcome every where he's been. Reports are that he 'wears' on people. makes sense to me...just look how he acts on the sideline. Good coach or not, i think trading him to the browns was not as stupid as it sounded.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This story just keeps going. Jesus.

Go away please!

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Media is stirring up dramatics to keep the offseason interesting.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Media is stirring up dramatics to keep the offseason interesting.

Baalke, according to his secretary, changed his password, clearly a sign that York has pushed the two to reconcile. It is reported that his password used to be "Schwartzwasright."

Harbaugh and Baalke were just spotted crossing paths in the hallway. It is notable that although they gave each other a pat on the back, it is a bit disturbing that they refused the customary full embrace. The tension was palpable.

At the cafeteria, Baalke and Harbaugh did sit together but across from each other, not next to the other. And they were eating different food.

Coincidentally, the two went to the bathroom at the same time, but there was a sink between the two sinks they were using.

Harbaugh was spotted wearing the same thing as he did yesterday but a new pair of khakis, one without the pen mark accidentally drawn on his right side, a sign that this tension is affecting his wardrobe.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now, this probably won't happen and if it did, it would have to happen with the Niners cooperation, but if it did, do you think it best for Kaepernick to wait until next year to sign an extension?

1. If Harbaugh went to Miami, Kaepernick could go with him.
2. Older defense and no Harbaugh here would hurt his chances of success.
2. Winning a SB this year would up the amount (though they could rectify that later).

An extension now is good for security in case of injury. Plus, he'd be paid now. But if this report were true and it happened, being stuck here without Harbaugh and an older defense might be more unappealing than Miami with Harbaugh. I think Kaepernick is confident he can play without Harbaugh, but it'd be a good thing. See what happens with Crabtree, too? Miami could be SF East.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add to this, as York has said and was mentioned in the above article, Harbaugh might be best to wait until after the draft to extend anyway because he wants his players and if Harbaugh feels like it's 2012 all over again and he's not getting his amount, that might tip the scales. A good draft and a respectable raise might do?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He wants personnel say so it could be more than just money. Baalke and Maraathe aren't going away. Those are Yorks buds and there isn't anything wrong with that.

it is definitely more than money.

any chance Harbaugh didn't like some picks, so didn't give them GOOD chances to succeed? Jenkins and LMJ come to mind, but other late picks?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know I just feel that if the situation was as bad as it's being made to sound Harbaugh could've very easily bailed already.

He would be in high demand and would be able to command a huge deal from whatever teams pursue him.

Of course I'm not disputing things aren't all sunshine and rainbows in the front office but with his personality it's just going to be like that where ever he goes. Walsh and DeBartolo had plenty of spats during their time together as well.

I believe when it comes down to it Baalke and Harbaugh clash because Baalke thinks more in the long term and Harbaugh thinks more in the short term.

Which oddly enough probably makes them perfect for each other because Harbaugh keeps Baalke from thinking too long term and Baalke keeps Harbaugh in check by making sure we aren't pouring everything into one year and not being able to be competitive down the road.

but he is under contract to the 49ers?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is definitely more than money.

any chance Harbaugh didn't like some picks, so didn't give them GOOD chances to succeed? Jenkins and LMJ come to mind, but other late picks?

If true, there would be a breaking threshold:

The worse a player is, the more it doesn't make a difference.

The better the player is, the more chance they could help the team, and therefore not giving them good chances to succeed hurts the team. But the better the player is, the more likely Harbaugh would like them, too, and therefore give them good chances to succeed.

But the more middle of the pack they are, the more of a waste these picks are, if in fact, Harbaugh is fighting a battle here.

Having said that, Harbaugh is too much of a competitor to be that passive aggressive. I guess aggressive would be the better term as nothing there would be passive besides lip-service he'd give those players in the media.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To add to this, as York has said and was mentioned in the above article, Harbaugh might be best to wait until after the draft to extend anyway because he wants his players and if Harbaugh feels like it's 2012 all over again and he's not getting his amount, that might tip the scales. A good draft and a respectable raise might do?

obviously, it is good when coaches provide input on potential draftees. in an ideal world, all the scouts and coaches get input. but inevitably, there will be differences of opinion, and SOMEONE has to make the call? someone has to be responsible for the final decision, and that guy is the GM.

Harbaugh is supposed to provide input/insight, and didn't Baalke say he does especially with QB's? Harbaugh isn't supposed to force "his" players onto Baalke.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but he is under contract to the 49ers?

I had the same question, but no one responded.

Yeah, I don't think it was bad enough for that, but if he bailed, wouldn't that mean sitting out two years if no buyout? I know, he could go to college football for two and then come back to the NFL, but he doesn't have a coach option to leave to another NFL team, does he? I know Urban Meyer when he was at Utah and Florida had a clause saying he could leave to be the Notre Dame coach if offered without penalty (I'm sure he couldn't be paid for the remaining contract years but there'd be no other repercussions from Florida/Utah).