• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.It seems to me the biggest hang up is money. Harbaugh wants top dollar and the team doesn't want to pay him top dollar. In this case I would side with Harbaugh because granted he hasn't won the SB but in 3 years the team has barely lost 2 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl and not a lot of coaches can boast that. I mean it's better than his brother who won the SB but couldn't even get his team into the playoffs the next year when it was handed to them on a silver platter.

York just needs to give him top dollar and I believe all this other crap will be put to rest.

I disagree with the bold. Winning the SB > Losing and didn't John go to the AFCC more times? (4 or 5 times) One missed playoffs doesn't counter that. Our Harbaugh could best that soon, though.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm it did happen. Word leaked out about it from the Cleveland side and now the Niners are running damage control. Don't be so naive. Harbaugh admitted in January that he spoke to the Cleveland Browns about coaches. Mike Lombardi and him are buddies. Are you gonna sit there and lie to yourself that Mike didn't check with Harbs to see if he wanted top dollar to come save his neck in Cleveland?

I doubt it happened further than "hey, how about YOU come coach for us" type of joke.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were 15th in the league each of the last two seasons in red zone TD scoring percentage. We didn't play all those games against Seattle.

What's your point? What do we have, aside from MAYBE Crabtree, that resembles a consistent redzone threat in terms of size and ball skills?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We were 15th in the league each of the last two seasons in red zone TD scoring percentage. We didn't play all those games against Seattle.

??????

so lets get rid of Harbaugh if he doesn't get better than 15th in RZ TD's?

again, we ALL want to see improvement, but lets not get rid of the best Coach we've had in YEARS. he isn't only the 49ers best Coach, but obviously coveted NFL wide.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns also released a statement Friday.

"The team conducted an extensive coaching search, and explored several options," the statement read. "That search produced an outstanding head coach in Mike Pettine, and we're excited about his future with the club."

When Pettine was hired, then-Browns CEO Joe Banner acknowledged there was one last "mystery candidate" out there who'd been under consideration but declined to name him.

Pettine called the report "noise" on Saturday and said the issue "has no bearing" on his job. The Browns didn't deny their attempt to acquire Harbaugh, but Pettine said that didn't bother him, either. He said he thought that shows the organization's commitment to turning around the struggling franchise.

There is precedent for a coach being traded. In 2002, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave the Oakland Raiders two first-round picks, two second-rounders and $8 million for Jon Gruden.

Cleveland Browns nearly acquired San Francisco head coach Jim Harbaugh for draft picks - ESPN

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's your point? What do we have, aside from MAYBE Crabtree, that resembles a consistent redzone threat in terms of size and ball skills?

My point is our offense isn't all that and this is an area of major concern. Offensive coaching is part of that responsibility which falls on Harbs shoulders as well.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??????

so lets get rid of Harbaugh if he doesn't get better than 15th in RZ TD's?

again, we ALL want to see improvement, but lets not get rid of the best Coach we've had in YEARS. he isn't only the 49ers best Coach, but obviously coveted NFL wide.

I said let's get rid of Harbaugh?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has certainly earned top dollar, and don't see why he won't get it? paying him top dollar is respecting him, so if they're trying to 'low ball' him, then no wonder?

the bigger issue is his ability to continue working with Baalke? dissension in the ranks never works for any organization.

Word is he wants to be the highest paid and York isn't willing to meet that price until a SB victory is on his resume.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is our offense isn't all that and this is an area of major concern. Offensive coaching is part of that responsibility which falls on Harbs shoulders as well.

I'm talking about the seriousness of the actual conversation.

BTW - I find it interesting that this leaked out AFTER Banner and Lombradi got canned.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is he wants to be the highest paid and York isn't willing to meet that price until a SB victory is on his resume.

Makes sense. If he wants to be the highest paid coach in the league, what's he gonna want AFTER he he actually wins one?

That said, I do think Harbaugh is close to being worth every penny of that.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about the seriousness of the actual conversation.

BTW - I find it interesting that this leaked out AFTER Banner and Lombradi got canned.

Yeah it had to come from Mike.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. If he wants to be the highest paid coach in the league, what's he gonna want AFTER he he actually wins one?

That said, I do think Harbaugh is close to being worth every penny of that.

Yes very interesting how York is supposedly hard balling the shit out of this.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

A TE who has had 13 TDs twice? A physical WR who had averaged six TDs a season despite playing for some bad passing teams? Arguably the best run-blocking OL in the league?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boldin, Davis..... Its not their fault that kaepernick cannot see the field down there.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jim Harbaugh - C - 49ers

According to the San Jose Mercury News, coach Jim Harbaugh is viewed as a "combustible" personality at 49ers headquarters, which led to trade talks with the Browns that ultimately fell apart.

Per reporter Tim Kawakami, Harbaugh is still upset that the 49ers did not extend his contract before the 2013 season, and "things are a little pent-up between coach and management" in San Francisco. Kawakami isn't the first plugged-in writer to pass along word of friction between Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke. We still don't expect much to come of this, at least not this offseason.
Source: San Jose Mercury News

Feb 22 - 3:09 PM

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin, Davis..... Its not their fault that kaepernick cannot see the field down there.

Vernon Davis has HORRIBLE ball skills. Anquan Boldin has good ball skills, but he's not a BIG threat like Megatron, Fitzgerald, Marshall, Jeffery, etc. etc.

The 49ers were 15th, but look at some of the teams in front of them:

1. Denver - Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas
2. Cincinnati - AJ Green
3. Dallas - Dez Bryant
4. Detroit - Calvin Johnson
7. Chicago - Brandon Marshall AND Alshon Jeffery
12. New Orleans - Jimmy Graham

Which guy on the 49ers rosters compares to those guys in the redzone as a threat?

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon Davis has HORRIBLE ball skills. Anquan Boldin has good ball skills, but he's not a BIG threat like Megatron, Fitzgerald, Marshall, Jeffery, etc. etc.

The 49ers were 15th, but look at some of the teams in front of them:

1. Denver - Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas
2. Cincinnati - AJ Green
3. Dallas - Dez Bryant
4. Detroit - Calvin Johnson
7. Chicago - Brandon Marshall AND Alshon Jeffery
12. New Orleans - Jimmy Graham

Which guy on the 49ers rosters compares to those guys in the redzone as a threat?

How's about 5-6, 8-11, and 13-14?

You pickin' cherries dawg?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh was hoping this would go away.

Doesn't seen like everything is so rosy up in hq. Especially after losing to the hawks who went on to win the sb. Bet not too many of them are happy this offseason.

Harbaugh def deserves a raise but not yet does he deserve to be paid the most in the nfl. I can see both sides to this scenario. Hopefully harbaugh wins it all next year and gets his raise and extension so this can go away. If not then yikes.

While I can see harbaugh being maybe too much at times. He is still the best we have had. And we need to keep him. Pay the man a slight raise and don't make him the highest paid until he earns it.

I'm sure this is mostly overblown, at least I hope so.