• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he is alluding to the fact that you shouldn't believe everything you see or read in this case, I can't imagine Harbs not wanting to be the head coach of the 49ers he freak in loves this team, and he has unfinished buisness, you think he's gonna leave before he clutches a Lombardi ? Not if he can help it.

Ok. I didnt really buy it. Anything is possible but I think rumors would have been flying beforehand in the Bay Area

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So who's more important to the team? Harbaugh or Baalke?

Harbaugh, but you still let him walk IF (and I stress if) all the reports surrounding him are true.

Because even if you dump Baalke in favor of Harbaugh there is no guarantee that you'll still keep Harbaugh happy as he would be the coaching equivalent of a high maintenance woman and it would just be better to save the headache and let him go since he would likely find a reason to bolt anyways.

Personally I believe things have been blown way out of proportion when it comes to Harbaugh. I'm sure he doesn't love everything Baalke does but every coach has some disagreements and doesn't see eye to eye with their GM from time to time.

The roster is loaded with talent, the cap situation is excellent with a lot of key guys locked up, he's got the QB he wanted, and plenty of draft picks to keep the window open. It's easily a situation any coach would want to walk into and trade places with Harbaugh.

It seems to me the biggest hang up is money. Harbaugh wants top dollar and the team doesn't want to pay him top dollar. In this case I would side with Harbaugh because granted he hasn't won the SB but in 3 years the team has barely lost 2 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl and not a lot of coaches can boast that. I mean it's better than his brother who won the SB but couldn't even get his team into the playoffs the next year when it was handed to them on a silver platter.

York just needs to give him top dollar and I believe all this other crap will be put to rest.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all sensationalistic bullshit. It didn't happen. Of course the Browns don't deny that it 'happened.' It makes them seem credible, that a top NFL coach would consider coaching that joke of a franchise.

It's the NFL offseason and people need something to talk about. It's nothing more than TMZ-esque nonsense.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Baalke has built this team more than Harbaugh. But coaching in the NFL is the most important than any other sport IMO. I think the major problem in all this is these two can't coexist. Feel sorry for Jed to make these decisions.

IMO Harbaugh needs to settle down on the power hungry attitude and just coach. let Baalke do his thing

Like getting AJ Jenkins in the first round. LMJ in the 2nd round. Shoving players on him that he probably was outspoken about in terms of not wanting. At first Harbaugh did not want to part ways with Dashon Goldson, but when it was explained to him that the team will suffer in the long run (financially) if they pay him top 5 money for a FS, then he succumbed to their plan in allowing Dashon to go. Then that forced the 9ers to use a first round pick on a safety, he was force to take a safety early in the 2013 draft because of your (Baalke) decision to let a prow bowl safety who was a pivotal part of the defense walk.

Harbaugh knows his team and from the onset knew that there was something wrong with the lack of depth at the WR position. Harbaugh knew he was close to getting that SB win, he knows the weakest link was at the WR position. You can tell the coaches were never really supportive of AJ Jenkins even during his first NFL practice, but because of his role as a HC he had to deflect that perception by trying to be supportive of AJ Jenkins (defensive to the the media).

All Harbaugh wanted after a defeat by the Ravens was for our front office to be aggressive with their picks and get us that Austin or Patterson type of receiver to line up with Crabtree and Boldin. He wanted that missing piece to make Kap even more dangerous. Being the stubborn man that he is, he wanted to keep his team intact but that didn't take place (Dashon). I can tell part of his beef with Baalke has to do with personnel issues and what players best fit the scheme they coaches have installed in SF. When you see the Seahawks sending late first round picks for a player like Harvin, and we on the other hand, are stock piling picks to draft players like AJ Jenkins and LMJ is uncalled for.

As an organization, if you feel and experience that you are one or two players removed from wining the SB, then you have to take necessary chances like the Seahawks had done by making a blockbuster trade. That is what the underlying issue is here in regard to Harb's frustration with Baalke. If we had kept Dashon, it would have allowed us to use that first round pick on another position.

Patterson in our lineup would have made our special teams unit be what it's intended to be, "special"! Having Patterson in our offense (same plays we used to run for Mario Manningham) would have made life 2 times easier for Boldin when Crabtree was out. In conclusion, I can relate to Harb's frustration, that's all I'm saying!!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all sensationalistic bullshit. It didn't happen. Of course the Browns don't deny that it 'happened.' It makes them seem credible, that a top NFL coach would consider coaching that joke of a franchise.

It's the NFL offseason and people need something to talk about. It's nothing more than TMZ-esque nonsense.

Umm it did happen. Word leaked out about it from the Cleveland side and now the Niners are running damage control. Don't be so naive. Harbaugh admitted in January that he spoke to the Cleveland Browns about coaches. Mike Lombardi and him are buddies. Are you gonna sit there and lie to yourself that Mike didn't check with Harbs to see if he wanted top dollar to come save his neck in Cleveland?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One good LB? he's only had the most sacks in his first two years than anyone.

mediocre QB? he's only led us to the Super Bowl and CC game in back to back seasons.

Cmon, a little more credit than that

I said Smith was good. He's also an addict and under a felony arrest warrant.

Kaepernick didn't "lead" the 49ers anywhere. He played like shit for most of the Super Bowl and cost us the game at the end by lasering in on one receiver and throwing innaccurate passes.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the sources are current or former Browns. Meaning I think the leak whether BS or not is Michael Lombardi. A few things would make sense on what happened with the Browns. Lombardi believed(real or not) that he can upgrade the coaching staff by firing Chud and after striking out on the DC and OC coordinators from the Seahawks and Broncos he got desperate and went for the moon with Harbaugh. He ended up failing and it's why him and the CEO were both fired after completely botching the coaching hire.

I can see why it's not confirmed if it's current or former Browns staff as saying former Browns would narrow the leak down to just people fired/left the Browns recently like Lombardi. A leak like this coming from him would end any future NFL career.... If the Chud thing didn't already.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe there's already talks or rumors of losing harbaugh... Keep his ass here.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty soon we are gonna regress with Harbaugh if the offense doesn't open up the pass game and get out of the predictable power run game schemes that the league has caught up on. Fangio makes the D run. Did Baalke or Harbaugh want Kaep because so far every backup QB choice has been dog shit. Harbs has got to get it on this year, a lot on the line. We need to see some QB whispering, improved passing offense, and possibly even a Super Bowl victory. Which Jed needs to see as well before he pays top dollar.

IMO only Seattle has caught up after three complete seasons. for this coming season, don't think the LEAGUE will have caught up yet again?

we're all want to see improvements, but getting rid of Harbaugh for making three NFC Championship game, but not winning the SB, doesn't make sense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh, but you still let him walk IF (and I stress if) all the reports surrounding him are true.

Because even if you dump Baalke in favor of Harbaugh there is no guarantee that you'll still keep Harbaugh happy as he would be the coaching equivalent of a high maintenance woman and it would just be better to save the headache and let him go since he would likely find a reason to bolt anyways.

Personally I believe things have been blown way out of proportion when it comes to Harbaugh. I'm sure he doesn't love everything Baalke does but every coach has some disagreements and doesn't see eye to eye with their GM from time to time.

The roster is loaded with talent, the cap situation is excellent with a lot of key guys locked up, he's got the QB he wanted, and plenty of draft picks to keep the window open. It's easily a situation any coach would want to walk into and trade places with Harbaugh.

It seems to me the biggest hang up is money. Harbaugh wants top dollar and the team doesn't want to pay him top dollar. In this case I would side with Harbaugh because granted he hasn't won the SB but in 3 years the team has barely lost 2 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl and not a lot of coaches can boast that. I mean it's better than his brother who won the SB but couldn't even get his team into the playoffs the next year when it was handed to them on a silver platter.

York just needs to give him top dollar and I believe all this other crap will be put to rest.

he has certainly earned top dollar, and don't see why he won't get it? paying him top dollar is respecting him, so if they're trying to 'low ball' him, then no wonder?

the bigger issue is his ability to continue working with Baalke? dissension in the ranks never works for any organization.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
How did the 49ers/Harbaugh-almost-but-not-really-to-Cleveland scenario happen? My most plausible 9-step thesis, and what it means ? Talking Points

This pretty much lines up to what I'm thinking.

This all has more to do with the contract and leverage more than anything.

I believe Harbaugh wants to remain the 9ers coach but he also wants to let them know he doesn't have to coach for them and could go elsewhere.

On the flipside I believe the 9ers want Harbaugh to remain the coach but also want to let him know they could move on from him if need be.

If Harbaugh wanted another coaching job I feel he would've went after one already. Ultimately the 9ers gig is easily one of the best jobs to have right now since as I mentioned earlier the team is in great shape for the foreseeable future and it's clear he and the family are happy in California.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, this is dumb. If you don't want to pay him UNTIL he wins a SB, add a clause in the current contract that says he gets a 4 or 5 million bonus with a SB win. Or escalate his annual salary immediately to the top 3 level in the league if he wins. This is not that complicated.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
To me, this is dumb. If you don't want to pay him UNTIL he wins a SB, add a clause in the current contract that says he gets a 4 or 5 million bonus with a SB win. Or escalate his annual salary immediately to the top 3 level in the league if he wins. This is not that complicated.

From what I understand the 9ers are offering him an incentive based contract if he wins the SB but I think he just straight up wants the cash now.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Maybe it's not that easy?! Perhaps Harbaugh's camp want it to be guaranteed. He wants to be paid (no clauses) like the top 2 coaches in the league despite of not winning the SB; and is basing it on his accomplishments so far in the league. Sometimes it's easier said than done when it comes to negotiating between two parties.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO only Seattle has caught up after three complete seasons. for this coming season, don't think the LEAGUE will have caught up yet again?

we're all want to see improvements, but getting rid of Harbaugh for making three NFC Championship game, but not winning the SB, doesn't make sense.

If York decides not to pay his asking price then what?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did the 49ers/Harbaugh-almost-but-not-really-to-Cleveland scenario happen? My most plausible 9-step thesis, and what it means ? Talking Points

This pretty much lines up to what I'm thinking.

This all has more to do with the contract and leverage more than anything.

I believe Harbaugh wants to remain the 9ers coach but he also wants to let them know he doesn't have to coach for them and could go elsewhere.

On the flipside I believe the 9ers want Harbaugh to remain the coach but also want to let him know they could move on from him if need be.

If Harbaugh wanted another coaching job I feel he would've went after one already. Ultimately the 9ers gig is easily one of the best jobs to have right now since as I mentioned earlier the team is in great shape for the foreseeable future and it's clear he and the family are happy in California.

It's a power play with the outcome undecided. Hopefully it doesn't blow up.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's not that easy?! Perhaps Harbaugh's camp want it to be guaranteed. He wants to be paid (no clauses) like the top 2 coaches in the league despite of not winning the SB; and is basing it on his accomplishments so far in the league. Sometimes it's easier said than done when it comes to negotiating between two parties.

Ego is the biggest barrier in my opinion. I wouldn't budge if I were York beyond adding incentives. Three times close doesn't impress me. He's closer to Dan Reeves than Vince Lombardi right now. And I like Harbs for the record.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We were 15th in the league each of the last two seasons in red zone TD scoring percentage. We didn't play all those games against Seattle.