• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So let's say Wisconsin wins the Big 10 Championship

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Wisconsin and Penn State had a higher SOS than OSU. Both Wisconsin and Penn State are in the CCG.And Penn State beat OSU head to head. Which is covering the play off criteria

The SOS rankings you pulled up is a different valuation. It isn't SOS. It is skewed.

PENN ST does not have a higher SOS. Look at these two sites that rank SOS.

Ohio St has a SOS of 15 and 15.
Penn St has a SOS of 45 and 39.

You know how many different sites they have SOS rankings. A lot. If you actually look at the schedules and compare, Ohio St has a better SOS, better wins, a better loss(es).

RealTimeRPI.com College Football/NCAAF - College Football Power Rankings and Analysis, A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

NCAAF Sagarin - NCAAF Football - USA TODAY

It is more than that. If you watch the games, which obviously you don't the eye test of each team is also looked at. Like I said, beating a dead horse. :suds:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU is not in the CCG because they literally lost to Penn st. Literally, as in it actually happened. Don't try and blame Michigan for OSU's shortcomings.
Except what I said is 100% true.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize you're using a formula based strongly on rankings. Which is reliant on human polls right? Here's one of many that use a much more reliable formula.
BCF Toys - 2016 SOS Ratings
So you've found "many" other SOS rankings that say PSU had a harder schedule? I'd like to see them. There have already been 3 presented that show OSU having a tougher schedule just in the last few posts.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, you're kidding me. You've never struck me as being this dumb. Come on, man.
Oh don't get me wrong I like stats. But they are only a small portion of the picture. Wins, head to head and CCGs play a big role. And like I said based on the criteria. Wisconsin and Penn State have a stronger SOS. On quite a few sites that don't go by the polls. But more importantly they are both playing in the CCG. And PSU has the H2H win over OSU. Which holds a lot more weight than numbers. Stats are fun but they can be manipulated to make any case

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SOS rankings you pulled up is a different valuation. It isn't SOS. It is skewed.

PENN ST does not have a higher SOS. Look at these two sites that rank SOS.

Ohio St has a SOS of 15 and 15.
Penn St has a SOS of 45 and 39.

You know how many different sites they have SOS rankings. A lot. If you actually look at the schedules and compare, Ohio St has a better SOS, better wins, a better loss(es).

RealTimeRPI.com College Football/NCAAF - College Football Power Rankings and Analysis, A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

NCAAF Sagarin - NCAAF Football - USA TODAY

It is more than that. If you watch the games, which obviously you don't the eye test of each team is also looked at. Like I said, beating a dead horse. :suds:
Why do computers favor us so much?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you've found "many" other SOS rankings that say PSU had a harder schedule? I'd like to see them. There have already been 3 presented that show OSU having a tougher schedule just in the last few posts.
Based on the AP, coaches and play off polls. Polls are human judgement calls. Which are basically the same popularity contests. That made the BCS system flawed. I just want what everyone else does the best teams in the play offs. Not my favorite team in the play offs. If SC is there I want it to be because the proved it on the field and belong there

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh don't get me wrong I like stats. But they are only a small portion of the picture. Wins, head to head and CCGs play a big role. And like I said based on the criteria. Wisconsin and Penn State have a stronger SOS. On quite a few sites that don't go by the polls. But more importantly they are both playing in the CCG. And PSU has the H2H win over OSU. Which holds a lot more weight than numbers. Stats are fun but they can be manipulated to make any case
So you value one arbitrary game more than 12 games? That's what you're telling me when you say a CCG win is more important than how a team has looked for the 12 game season. As far as SOS, OSU has played 2 of the top 7 teams in the nation on the road and won, and only lost to #8 on the road because of a miraculous fluke.

PSU has faced 1 top 10 team on the road and got beat by 39.

The fact that you have complete tunnel vision and refuse to objectively look at the teams tells me I'm wasting my time. Ohio State is better, it's a simple fact. If we weren't, we wouldn't be ranked 2nd while they're 8th. Fluke upsets happen. Look at Bama and Ole Miss in 14/15. Clearly Bama was the better team those years, just like clearly OSU is the better team this year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the AP, coaches and play off polls. Polls are human judgement calls. Which are basically the same popularity contests. That made the BCS system flawed. I just want what everyone else does the best teams in the play offs. Not my favorite team in the play offs. If SC is there I want it to be because the proved it on the field and belong there
So if Wisconsin wins the arbitrary 13th game over the 4th best team in the conference, this means they're more deserving than an Ohio State team who has fewer losses, a better resume, and a H2H win in Madison? This is why I can't get through to you. You completely and entirely lack objectivity.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Wisconsin wins the arbitrary 13th game over the 4th best team in the conference, this means they're more deserving than an Ohio State team who has fewer losses, a better resume, and a H2H win in Madison? This is why I can't get through to you. You completely and entirely lack objectivity.
Wisconsin's 13th game is far from arbitrary, they 100% earned it.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt see a reason they shouldn't. I can see your argument over Wisconsin to a point. A lot more than your argument over PSU. 11-2 with a division title,a conference championship and a H2H win. Is too much of a stretch imo

But I do think the CCG matters

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt see a reason they shouldn't. I can see your argument over Wisconsin to a point. A lot more than your argument over PSU. 11-2 with a division title,a conference championship and a H@H win. Is too much of a stretch imo

But I do think the CCG matters
11-1 with a far better resume > anything PSU can do at this point.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you value one arbitrary game more than 12 games? That's what you're telling me when you say a CCG win is more important than how a team has looked for the 12 game season. As far as SOS, OSU has played 2 of the top 7 teams in the nation on the road and won, and only lost to #8 on the road because of a miraculous fluke.

PSU has faced 1 top 10 team on the road and got beat by 39.

The fact that you have complete tunnel vision and refuse to objectively look at the teams tells me I'm wasting my time. Ohio State is better, it's a simple fact. If we weren't, we wouldn't be ranked 2nd while they're 8th. Fluke upsets happen. Look at Bama and Ole Miss in 14/15. Clearly Bama was the better team those years, just like clearly OSU is the better team this year.
That CCG is a result of the regular season. Ohio States performance determined their position. No different than Wisconsin and Penn States performance.Earned their spots in that game. Why reward OSU for losing to PSU?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11-1 with a far better resume > anything PSU can do at this point.

Penn State beat Ohio State would be 11-2 with a direct win over Ohio State.They won the division Ohio State also plays in. And if they have a conference championship................... They have a better resume earned on the field

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. So you want a team that lost to the 7th best ACC team and they also lost to Michigan by 39. The same team that Ohio St beat...hmm but yeah you're right Penn St is one of the BEST FOUR. I think you need to look at their whole resume and not just the head-to-head. We can't look at the CCG yet bc it has not been played. At this point, Penn St's resume is nowhere near Ohio St's with an extra loss but they have H-2-H. That is why Penn St is 8 and Ohio St is 2.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't head to head get extra weight over stats and ratings when comparing two teams? You don't have to rely on all the stats and ratings like you do when comparing two teams who haven't played each other.