• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So let's say Wisconsin wins the Big 10 Championship

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado is ludicrously overrated and got smoked by Michigan.

Do you know what I think? If either Wisconsin or Penn State looks really good this weekend, they're in and so is Ohio State. Washington needs to really put on a show, or it's out of luck.

Let's review the committee's criteria:
Selection Committee Protocol | College Football Playoff

Note that it says this is to compare teams with "similar" records, not the same record, so 12-1 doesn't necessarily beat 11-2 if both are conference champions. On the second criterion, it's pretty clear that Wisconsin and PSU both have much stronger strength of schedule than Washington. There is no head-to-head or common opponents to compare.

As for Ohio State, they just need to be "unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country", and the fact that they're sitting at #2 tells you what the committee thinks about that.
UW could very well get left out, It happened in the third year of the BCS. If CCG's go chalk, then the committee has a very tough decision on their hands.

Last edited:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado is ludicrously overrated and got smoked by Michigan.

Do you know what I think? If either Wisconsin or Penn State looks really good this weekend, they're in and so is Ohio State. Washington needs to really put on a show, or it's out of luck.

Let's review the committee's criteria:
Selection Committee Protocol | College Football Playoff

Note that it says this is to compare teams with "similar" records, not the same record, so 12-1 doesn't necessarily beat 11-2 if both are conference champions. On the second criterion, it's pretty clear that Wisconsin and PSU both have much stronger strength of schedule than Washington. There is no head-to-head or common opponents to compare.

As for Ohio State, they just need to be "unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country", and the fact that they're sitting at #2 tells you what the committee thinks about that.
If we are going by current SOS.Wisconsin and PSU both have a stronger SOS than OSU. Wisconsin ranking 3rd and PSU 6th to OSU's 25. I think its time some people give Wisky and PSU some credit. Theres good reason they are in the CCG

That criteria doesn't favor OSU

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just what does 'similar' mean to you?

Does it mean 'identical'?

I think not.

11-2 is about as 'similar' to a full season record as 11-1 can get without being identical...

oD19L.gif

Last edited:

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think not.

11-2 is about as 'similar' to a full season record as 11-1 can get without being identical...

oD19L.gif
It all depends on what a group of select talking heads think on that final week. What games gave they watched, who have they listened to, where they get their "unbiased" info from? Who knows. This isn't the NFL where shit gets settled on the field, it's the FBS where championships are won between chosen teams.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think not.

oD19L.gif
Misread your post and replied to the sentiment @BigAppleBadger ...

:behindsofa:

The sentiment I disagree with is UW should get hosed by the Committee at 12-1 including a CCG win over ranked CU...

I would venture to guess the current SC team would probably hang a loss on tOSU, Michigan, Penn State or Whisky on the road the same week they beat UW.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think not.

oD19L.gif
SC has the most wins with the toughest schedule. They will have the head to head win over the PAC champion.Which will make them the PAC champions regardless.And the H2H games we lost have no relevance.Thats similar am I doing it right :noidea: :dhd: #USCNATTYONAPLATTER

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rankings this week still don't mean much because it doesn't project conference champions which is # ONE on the ranking criteria list for the committee. There's still a chance they can kick OSU out for not playing a conference champ game and there's also a chance 2 BIG teams make it even if the Huskies and Clemson win out. I think Michigan will be ranked 5th this week.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rankings this week still don't mean much because it doesn't project conference champions which is # ONE on the ranking criteria list for the committee. There's still a chance they can kick OSU out for not playing a conference champ game and there's also a chance 2 BIG teams make it even if the Huskies and Clemson win out. I think Michigan will be ranked 5th this week.
You obviously haven't been reading this thread GD.

tOSU is a lock! A LOCK! :dhd:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its an odd comparison between the two. Washington played more top 25 teams at time of game. Clemson has more wins over top 25 teams following season end.Washington has the better loss. And the higher ranked CCG opponent. These are at time of games and final rankings added for comparison

yDWVOod.png
iTGB9eU.png

Clemson has a better resume

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End of season is all that matters. Don't forget - ND, Michigan State and Texas were all top 10 teams at one point.

Right. The beginning of the season is only a valuation of the end results of the previous year. I like to look at the end of the season, all the rest doesn't matter.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You obviously haven't been reading this thread GD.

tOSU is a lock! A LOCK! :dhd:

That's just regurgitation of EPSN drivel.

If PSU wins they will have the head to head and Conference Championship game win then if Clemson and the Huskies win big it could be all over but the crying for the butt hurt OSU fans. Sorry, but you couldn't even win your own division so that doesn't lock you into the CFP's.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the rankings aren't going to mean anything until after the CCG's. Conference championships are a part of the criteria. As is head to head.As well as the extra game and added SOS. And it may very well catch OSU in the end IMO

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just regurgitation of EPSN drivel.

If PSU wins they will have the head to head and Conference Championship game win then if Clemson and the Huskies win big it could be all over but the crying for the butt hurt OSU fans. Sorry, but you couldn't even win your own division so that doesn't lock you into the CFP's.
We'll see. What a waste of a playoff to not include the 2nd best team in the nation only to include inferior teams.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I like looking at both. But I can be a bit thorough when looking at stats and breakdowns. I do the same thing when I bet on a game. I'll break down the match ups within the match ups. By looking at everything you get a much clearer picture. Whether we like it or not rankings are not pure. There are too many variables. From conference dynamics to scheduling down to human error. For instance while we may see more ranked teams before games for Washington.And more ranked teams after for clemson. We may not be looking at the near upset over Clemson by Troy.And the manner in which Washington won the games they are supposed to.

There are some things I just cant look past. Like H2H and conference championships. They do hold weight and I am not a fan of the BCS era system.I don't want to see a team get in over politics. Like the Alabama /LSU rematch game. I want to see the best team get in. And if thats been proven on the field. It is what it is imo.

I see your point but at the beginning of the year, rankings at their worst projections for the most part, we see it year in and year out.
Now as far as on the field, you are right. It's more than head-to-head and it's more than one game. It's the ENTIRE resume. Rankings are perfect but by the end of the year not only with the schedules the teams have played and their resumes but with the eye test you know how good a team is. Upsets happen week in and week out but you can't base a whole season on one week. You have to look at it one week at a time and you can't just look at one week in the middle of the season and say, "this team beat that team. They are the better team." That's not hope this system works.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12-1 and 11-2 with a conference championship > 11-1 with a remote control and a zima on CCG weekend
Thankfully those who know college football know better than this line of thinking. Real logic:

11-1/Three top 10 wins, 4 ranked wins overall/Top 10 in both scoring offense and defense against one of the toughest schedules in the nation > everyone not named Alabama.