• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So let's say Wisconsin wins the Big 10 Championship

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nonsense.

Bama - Undefeated.. that is a better resume
PSU: Big 10 east champs and a head 2 head voctory over PSU.. better resume.

now, THAT is nonsense.

PSU has 2 losses, that by default makes their resume worse than Ohio State's.

You're right, Alabama has a better resume thanks to being undefeated.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now, THAT is nonsense.

PSU has 2 losses, that by default makes their resume worse than Ohio State's.

You're right, Alabama has a better resume thanks to being undefeated.

Not that simple, when you lose to them head to head. OSU didnt win the division or the head to head match. That is hard to overlook, unless you are a OSU fan.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that simple, when you lose to them head to head. OSU didnt win the division or the head to head match. That is hard to overlook, unless you are a OSU fan.

It's pretty easy to evaluate. Just take all names off the schedules and look at them objectively.

PSU: 2 losses, one to a bad unranked team and one badly to a top 10 team. They have 1 top 10 win and one other top 25 win. If they win the CCG, they will have a second win vs a top 10 team.

Ohio State: lost just the one game, to a top 10 team on the road in close fashion. They have 3 wins vs other top 10 teams and one other top 25 win.

The resumes aren't that close.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you guys just lying when you argued it should be conference champs only?

I'm getting a you were a liar vibe now the shoe is on the other foot!

When did I say this? When Bama played LSU in the NCG? If so, then yeah you are correct lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it seems to me that a few years back that some fans were complaining about two SEC teams getting into the BCS final game. I was one of them and I still don't like the idea of a team that doesn't play in their CCG making it to the college football playoffs. I don't care if it's the SEC, BIG 12, PAC 12, BIG 10 or whatever conference.

Different system, you can't compare the two. The goal of this committee is to get the BEST four teams. Period.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it seems to me that a few years back that some fans were complaining about two SEC teams getting into the BCS final game. I was one of them and I still don't like the idea of a team that doesn't play in their CCG making it to the college football playoffs. I don't care if it's the SEC, BIG 12, PAC 12, BIG 10 or whatever conference.

so, you are not for the "best 4 teams". and want to stick to unwritten rules and blindly take 4 teams that are not the best 4. got it.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be true if this were the final week of voting, but it's not.

Ohio State's problem is, they can't do a damned thing about their 'resume' now and most all other top 4 contenders can.

They don't need to, they will STILL have the best resume.

Bama is in even with a loss IMO
Clemson is playing an unranked team, but they will be in with a win.
Washington is playing a top 10 team but their resume is weak so far. I think they will be in bc they only have 1 loss.
Wisconsin and Penn St have two losses. Penn St will still have a worse resume. Wisconsin will have probably the best resume but 2 losses and a lose to Ohio St.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nonsense.

Bama - Undefeated.. that is a better resume
PSU: Big 10 east champs and a head 2 head voctory over PSU.. better resume.

*Ohio St

Uhh....no

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. So if either team wins....what happens?

And yes, Ohio State has wins over Oklahoma away from home, Wisconsin away from home, and Michigan. There 1 loss coming on the road at Penn State.

I believe those are all top 10 teams. Their resume is fan fucking tastic.

and they took a currently ranked team behind the woodshed and embarrassed them on national TV

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty easy to evaluate. Just take all names off the schedules and look at them objectively.

PSU: 2 losses, one to a bad unranked team and one badly to a top 10 team. They have 1 top 10 win and one other top 25 win. If they win the CCG, they will have a second win vs a top 10 team.

Ohio State: lost just the one game, to a top 10 team on the road in close fashion. They have 3 wins vs other top 10 teams and one other top 25 win.

The resumes aren't that close.

This is missing the forest for the trees.

This should say

Ohio State: lost just the one game to PSU, to a top 10 PSU team on the road in close fashion. They have 3 wins vs other top 10 teams, not named PSU and one other top 25 win. Once again SOS is an awesome stat, but OSU lost to PSU

PSU: 2 losses, one to a bad unranked team and one badly to a top 10 team. They have 1 top 10 win over OSU and one other top 25 win. If they win the CCG, they will have a second win vs a top 10 team, including OSU. They are playing the CCG game because they beat OSU and won the BIg 10 East, which OSU did not do, because they lost to PSU

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, you are not for the "best 4 teams". and want to stick to unwritten rules and blindly take 4 teams that are not the best 4. got it.
Never said that I wasn't for the 4 best teams getting into the college football playoffs. Both you and I don't know who the "best 4 teams are". What "unwritten rules" are you referring to?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This should say

Ohio State: lost just the one game to PSU, to a top 10 PSU team on the road in close fashion. They have 3 wins vs other top 10 teams, not named PSU and one other top 25 win. Once again SOS is an awesome stat, but OSU lost to PSU

PSU: 2 losses, one to a bad unranked team and one badly to a top 10 team. They have 1 top 10 win over OSU and one other top 25 win. If they win the CCG, they will have a second win vs a top 10 team, including OSU. They are playing the CCG game because they beat OSU and won the BIg 10 East, which OSU did not do, because they lost to PSU

If you're comparing resumes, you should do it blindly, which is why I said eliminate the names from the schedule.

What it comes down to is for the 2nd year in a row, Ohio State had their lone loss come to the team they couldn't afford for it to come against, so PSU won the east division title. Does that mean PSU, a team that lost 2 games with an easier schedule, is better than Ohio State? I wouldn't think so, but they were better on that day. Last year, Bama lost to Ole Miss. Did that make Ole Miss the better team?

Like last year, Ohio State could well be the odd team out thanks to not winning the conference. Unlike last year, they could have wins against 2 different conference champs if Wisconsin and OU win their conferences, so that should save them if that scenario plays out. If PSU wins the B1G, it will be much harder for Ohio State to get in unless Washington loses considering how strongly the Committee seems to value conference championships.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different system, you can't compare the two. The goal of this committee is to get the BEST four teams. Period.
I agree, it's the job of the college football playoff committee to get the "Best" four teams. I'm sure they have some type of criteria to follow to make sure they get the best 4.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 200,000.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU: 2 losses, one to a bad unranked team

If you're talking about Pitt, they also beat Clemson in Death Valley, which only proves one thing: that college football is wild as shit.

Ohio State has had their appearance in the playoffs. Step aside.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're comparing resumes, you should do it blindly, which is why I said eliminate the names from the schedule.

What it comes down to is for the 2nd year in a row, Ohio State had their lone loss come to the team they couldn't afford for it to come against, so PSU won the east division title. Does that mean PSU, a team that lost 2 games with an easier schedule, is better than Ohio State? I wouldn't think so, but they were better on that day. Last year, Bama lost to Ole Miss. Did that make Ole Miss the better team?

Like last year, Ohio State could well be the odd team out thanks to not winning the conference. Unlike last year, they could have wins against 2 different conference champs if Wisconsin and OU win their conferences, so that should save them if that scenario plays out. If PSU wins the B1G, it will be much harder for Ohio State to get in unless Washington loses considering how strongly the Committee seems to value conference championships.

I think OSU is better, but that is just my opinion. This check the resumes blindly meme is retarded. They played each other and are in the same division. Things like SOS and S&P+ ratings are great. We use them, because there is very little overlap among P5 teams. We dont need to do that in this circumstances and it seems completely ridiculous to say "to compare the teams fairly, you need to ignore the head to head data and focus on the tertiary information." Could you imagine scientists saying something like that?

Last edited:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This should say

Why is it so hard for fans to realize that Penn State beat Ohio State and won the BIG 10 East division? If winning a major conference division and getting the chance to play in their CCG is not important, then get rid of all college divisions and just schedule whatever team you want every year.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think OSU is better, but that is just my opinion. This check the resumes blindly meme is retarded. They played each other and are in the same division. Things like SOS and S&P+ ratings are great. We use them, because there is very little overlap among P5 teams. We dont need to do that in this circumstances and it seems completely ridiculous to say "to compare the teams fairly, you need to ignore the head to head data and tertiary information." Could you imagine scientists saying something like that?

So you value head to head above all other data. Which I would agree with when it comes to things like seeding. By your rules, the NY Giants are currently better than the Cowboys since they won head to head and we should ignore everything else until they play again.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think OSU is better, but that is just my opinion. This check the resumes blindly meme is retarded. They played each other and are in the same division. Things like SOS and S&P+ ratings are great. We use them, because there is very little overlap among P5 teams. We dont need to do that in this circumstances and it seems completely ridiculous to say "to compare the teams fairly, you need to ignore the head to head data and tertiary information." Could you imagine scientists saying something like that?
Good comment!!

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it so hard for fans to realize that Penn State beat Ohio State and won the BIG 10 East division? If winning a major conference division and getting the chance to play in their CCG is not important, then get rid of all college divisions and just schedule whatever team you want every year.

obviously, it is important. otherwise we wouldn't even be having this conversation and PSU would have no shot at getting in.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you value head to head above all other data. Which I would agree with when it comes to things like seeding. By your rules, the NY Giants are currently better than the Cowboys since they won head to head and we should ignore everything else until they play again.
-
Cowboys look likely to win the NFC east, so your attempt to move the finish line will be ignored.

Not to mention the NFL doesnt have a committee to select. You win your division and you are in, so that would support PSU's case.