• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So let's say Wisconsin wins the Big 10 Championship

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. The committee made this CFP to select the BEST four teams. It's like some people dont even pay attention to what the committee says. :L
I'm not "wrong". Follow the conversation backup to the origin and you'd see we weren't talking about what the committee says. It's like some people don't even pay attention to the conversation. :L

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU didn't win the big 10. But if they do, then perhaps no one from the big 10 should make the playoffs. it's the complete opposite of arbitrary since CCGs and a 4 team playoff are the only systems we have right now. Change it up then their is room to discuss letting DIVISION runner-ups in the playoffs.... just like what is done in pro sports.
FIFY

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm no they would not. In fact it's not close.
They beat Ohio State head to head - Huge
They would've won the conference - Huge

Basically Ohio State's argument is we beat a 2 loss Michigan team and didn't lose to Pitt early in the season.

I think Penn State has the better argument overall.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You havent looked at their resume and Penn St's resume then.
Were you guys just lying when you argued it should be conference champs only?

I'm getting a you were a liar vibe now the shoe is on the other foot!

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you guys just lying when you argued it should be conference champs only?

I'm getting a you were a liar vibe now the shoe is on the other foot!
Yeah it seems to me that a few years back that some fans were complaining about two SEC teams getting into the BCS final game. I was one of them and I still don't like the idea of a team that doesn't play in their CCG making it to the college football playoffs. I don't care if it's the SEC, BIG 12, PAC 12, BIG 10 or whatever conference.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it seems to me that a few years back that some fans were complaining about two SEC teams getting into the BCS final game. I was one of them and I still don't like the idea of a team that doesn't play in their CCG making it to the college football playoffs. I don't if it's the SEC, BIG 12, PAC 12 or the BIG 10 or whatever conference.
The football gods have a way of tormenting your soul until you relent.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basically Ohio State's argument is we beat a 2 loss Michigan team and didn't lose to Pitt early in the season.

Totally agree.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Penn State did win the BIG 10 East. Ohio State came in second.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State is in. There's no way they could justify dropping the number 2 team out of the playoffs after they beat the 3 team.

If Washington beats Colorado and Clemson beats Virginia Tech(Bama might still make it even if they somehow lose to Florida) then the playoffs will be

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Washington

Clemson or Washington gets upset, then you'll likely see OSU and the B1G champ make it.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State is in. There's no way they could justify dropping the number 2 team out of the playoffs after they beat the 3 team.

If Washington beats Colorado and Clemson beats Virginia Tech(Bama might still make it even if they somehow lose to Florida) then the playoffs will be

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Washington

Clemson or Washington gets upset, then you'll likely see OSU and the B1G champ make it.
It will be interesting, that's for sure.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10 champ is not going to get in, nor should they in a 4 team playoff.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way they could justify dropping the number 2 team out of the playoffs after they beat the 3 team.
This would be true if this were the final week of voting, but it's not.

Ohio State's problem is, they can't do a damned thing about their 'resume' now and most all other top 4 contenders can.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU was in the top four till the last poll then got punked. We have precedent.

Best case scenario for Ohio State to get in now is for OU to win the B12 and Wisconsin to win the B1G. It would help if Washington lost, but that might not be necessary. In this scenario, Ohio State has wins over 2 P5 champs and has a good claim to get in. If Washington loses, then there's a good chance both Ohio State and Wisconsin get in. 90%+ chance they get in here.

Worst case for Ohio State would be in PSU won the B1G, Washington wins, and OU loses to Okie St. In this scenario, I can definitely see the committee sending washington and PSU instead of Ohio St. 50-50 chance they get in here.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be true if this were the final week of voting, but it's not.

Ohio State's problem is, they can't do a damned thing about their 'resume' now and most all other top 4 contenders can.

this is true, but they also have the best resume in CFB and will continue to have the best resume in CFB after the championship games. It'll come down to how much the committee values a conference championship.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming PSU wins the Big 10. They should be in and they should be seeded over OSU. I dont want to hear about SOS. PSU beat them and won the conference. That ends the debate. OSU will be the 3rd/4th seed if PSU wins out. There is a chance they get bounced. I dont think it gets to that point, but I would not be shocked.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is true, but they also have the best resume in CFB and will continue to have the best resume in CFB after the championship games. It'll come down to how much the committee values a conference championship.

This is nonsense.

Bama - Undefeated.. that is a better resume
PSU: Big 10 east champs and a head 2 head voctory over PSU.. better resume.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll come down to how much the committee values a conference championship.
Or discounts not even winning a division championship. But, there is precedent in the old BCS system since Bama didn't even win their division in '11. While some would argue the computers didn't know they failed to win their division, the pollsters damn sure did and they discounted it. I can see the committee doing so as well.

If they don't don't weigh conference or division championships or show they are valued, then the "we are protecting the regular season because it needs to matter" argument spewed by many won't hold much water.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or discounts not even winning a division championship. But, there is precedent in the old BCS system since Bama didn't even win their division in '11. While some would argue the computers didn't know they failed to win their division, the pollsters damn sure did and they discounted it. I can see the committee doing so as well.

If they don't don't weigh conference or division championships or show they are valued, then the "we are protecting the regular season because it needs to matter" argument spewed by many won't hold much water.

The decision would be less impactful this time. Bama was handed the #2 slot and a rematch. If OSU comes in they will need to win 2 games . That nice thing about growing the number of playoff participants from 2 to 4.