• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So let's say Wisconsin wins the Big 10 Championship

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when Nebraska lost 62-3 to Ohio State I should have taken it as a 6-3 loss?
Why not, Nebraska lost the game, so what difference does it make how much they lost the game by?

Last edited:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between Western Michigan's resume and Penn States resume is roughly the same as the difference between PSU and OSU. You're getting caught up in like 25% of the resumes and ignoring the other 75%. You're not wrong in your assertion that H2H and league titles should be and are valuable. You're simply discounting everything else. I could say I only want to look at who you lost to and how many times you lost and determine WMU should be in the playoff based on being unbeaten. It's the same thing you're doing

Do you really believe that about Western Michigan's resume compared to PSU and then compared to the difference between PSUand OSU, especially if PSU beats Wisconsin? I don't believe Western Michigan has played anyone who is in the top 25 of the CFP rankings.

I agree there are multiple criteria, but the committee is not required to treat them equally, and we've seen from the past that conference championship and head to head is given great value. Conference championship should be especially valuable here since PSU and OSU are in the same conference.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what criteria the playoff committee uses to pick the 4 teams. I would like to think they would pick a conference champion to play in the playoffs.

1.) Conference champion
2.) SOS
3.) H2H

How you finish is very important as well.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody's been screaming for an 8 team playoff for years and this year is the perfect example. So you might tame a team that didn't win its conference over one that did? Just get rid of the conferences then because they obviously don't mean anything. All these arguments and people huffing and puffing with ridiculous speculation is totally annoying. NCAA champ basketball team wins 6 games in 3 weeks to earn it after a 30+ game season. I don't care how physical football is. Just get rid of one of the ridiculous blowout tune-up games on your schedule and start things a week earlier as far as playoffs go.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine the look on that pasty face Kirk Herbstreit when he finds out Ohio State is out?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really believe that about Western Michigan's resume compared to PSU and then compared to the difference between PSUand OSU, especially if PSU beats Wisconsin? I don't believe Western Michigan has played anyone who is in the top 25 of the CFP rankings.

I agree there are multiple criteria, but the committee is not required to treat them equally, and we've seen from the past that conference championship and head to head is given great value. Conference championship should be especially valuable here since PSU and OSU are in the same conference.
OSU 4 wins vs Top 25 teams, 3 wins vs Top 10 teams, 8 wins vs bowl eligible teams, 0 bad losses, 1 total loss

PSU ( if they beat Wisconsin ), 2 wins vs top 25 teams, 2 wins vs Top 10 teams, 5 wins vs bowl eligible teams, 1 bad loss, 2 total losses

WMU 0 top 25 wins, 0 top 10 wins, 6 wins vs bowl eligible teams, 0 bad losses, 0 total losses

Yep. Pretty similar differences. Now if I pick the 2 or 3vthat favor WMU and pretend the other stuff is not important then heck yes WMU deserves in because I only care about how many losses you have and how many bowl teams you beato. The rest is irrelevant..... see how that works??

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU 4 wins vs Top 25 teams, 3 wins vs Top 10 teams, 8 wins vs bowl eligible teams, 0 bad losses, 1 total loss

PSU ( if they beat Wisconsin ), 2 wins vs top 25 teams, 2 wins vs Top 10 teams, 5 wins vs bowl eligible teams, 1 bad loss, 2 total losses

WMU 0 top 25 wins, 0 top 10 wins, 6 wins vs bowl eligible teams, 0 bad losses, 0 total losses

Yep. Pretty similar differences. Now if I pick the 2 or 3vthat favor WMU and pretend the other stuff is not important then heck yes WMU deserves in because I only care about how many losses you have and how many bowl teams you beato. The rest is irrelevant..... see how that works??

Except that the committee and its predecessors have never used those two criteria you named (number of losses and wins over bowl eligible teams) to elevate a non-power conference team over a power conference team, while they have used conference championships and head to head to elevate one power conference team over another power conference team. See how precedents work?

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Temple 9-3
Minnesota 8-4
Maryland 6-6
Ohio State 11-1
Iowa 8-4
Indiana 6-6
Wisconsin 10-3

If they win, that's 7 teams with records that are bowl eligible. 6 if they lose. Not sure who you missed, but if

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that the committee and its predecessors have never used those two criteria you named (number of losses and wins over bowl eligible teams) to elevate a non-power conference team over a power conference team, while they have used conference championships and head to head to elevate one power conference team over another power conference team. See how precedents work?
rmilla likes the big dogs to get in because "they sell hotels". He actually has used that logic before.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They absolutely use those criteria. Wins over .500+ teams is a big factor and is discussed all the time as are the quality of your losses so not having any of those is probably pretty good lol

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the day I had, I would prefer not to listen to argumentative bullshit. If I wanted your opinion, I'd yank it out of you.
If you don't want to listen to my bullshit, then maybe you might want to know what the fuck you are talking about, before you start jacking your jaws. Ohio State "did not" win the BIG 10 East division; therefore they will not be playing in the BIG 10 CCG.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They absolutely use those criteria. Wins over .500+ teams is a big factor and is discussed all the time as are the quality of your losses so not having any of those is probably pretty good lol

So the commitee and its predecessors have used number of losses and/or wins over bowl eligible teams to elevate non-power conference teams over a power conference team? Oh yeah, I remember the many times that Boise State made it into the BCS championship game.