• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So Bevell says...

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So droider, what play option above should they have taken instead of the one they did?

Obviously just feed the Beast bro, it really is that easy. You guys are way overthinking this and outsmarting yourselves as a result.

As I mentioned in a different thread though, some of this is on Wilson. Not only was his throw bad (too high and leading into the heart of the defense), but he should've really called an audible after seeing the defensive formation.

If they were dead set on throwing on 2nd down, the cardinal rule is that you only attempt one where only your guy can catch it. But throwing down the middle in a bunched set on the goal line is just asking for trouble.

I could've probably lived with that play call had it been on 4th down. But NOT on 2nd down when we still had 1 TO left and could've still quickly regathered to the LOS and run it on again 3rd down even if we didn't get in on a 2nd down run. And if we still didn't get in on a 3rd down run, then we could've called a TO and still had a 4th down play left.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then it would be nice to know if the route to Lockette was the primary. I don't know if the TE route was hot on that play or not. Maybe that info will come out. Still, most people are saying it was the idea of any pass vs run that is proof Bevell is the worst play caller in league history.

The route to Lockette was open, that's why he threw it. Butler was two yards deep into the end zone when Wilson released the ball, and Lockette had space - Wilson just threw it too far ahead and gave Butler the play on the ball. No other receiver had any separation on the play. The throw was bad, had he thrown it to Lockette instead of leading him, it's probably a touchdown. That pick is all on Wilson.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then it would be nice to know if the route to Lockette was the primary. I don't know if the TE route was hot on that play or not. Maybe that info will come out. Still, most people are saying it was the idea of any pass vs run that is proof Bevell is the worst play caller in league history.

It's all speculation at this point in regard to run vs pass. What's done is done. Many will argue that even with a stacked box, New England on the season was still 32nd in the league in short yardage situations and Seattle had the best power back in the league in the backfield.

Regardless, great season, just hated the risky playcall that unfortunately ended the game.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still pissed on the play call but i also have not forgot about Lockette getting tripped up. and no PI called. Had that DB NOT tripped Lockette he was gone for a TD as there was no one close to him that could catch the Division II champion sprinter from behind.

as far as the last play though, you run it, Call a time out if you don't make it ( he would have made it ). You then try a pass play in the endzone if caught great if incomplete the clock stops if there is a INT well that's the risk you take. If Incomplete then you got another shot on 4th down.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was at the 1y line exactly, not half.

There wasn't any option for 3 runs.

If they ran it without a TO they were in 11 (1 TE, 1 RB rest WR's) against goal line. The odds of making that, even with the best RB in the league, isn't that high.

If you call the TO and get your group in you have one shot, maybe two if you spike it in time. You are selling all out on running.

You can't just say they should have ran it without saying HOW and why that is a better option besides the obvious "because what they did didn't work"

You keep saying this like the chances of Lynch getting one yard in 2 plays was improbable. I don't know why you feel that way. There was time for 3 plays with the time out. Lynch is the option every normal person would have used for the first 2 plays. Period. If he doesn't get in in 2 tries (which he would have), then throw the ball. Its not hard. Your love for Bevell has made you delusional.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still pissed on the play call but i also have not forgot about Lockette getting tripped up. and no PI called. Had that DB NOT tripped Lockette he was gone for a TD as there was no one close to him that could catch the Division II champion sprinter from behind.

Seahawks shouldve been called for roughing the punter early in the game and they werent, so it was pretty even-steven if you ask me

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't what he said, he said they were conscious of the clock and wanted to use it.

They felt that they had three chances at the end zone in the time remaining if they threw the ball on the first attempt - cause they trusted with Wilson that the result would be TD or INC, not INT. Had it been INC, then they run the ball with Lynch. If he doesn't get in, then TO and then one more shot for the game. It's unfortunate that the pass was INT, but the idea behind their play calling had nothing to do with running the clock out.

It's not that they threw the ball. It's the fact that they ran an automatic throw type pattern out of a gun when they have the most mobile qb in the league and the balls' on the fucking 1 yard line. Bevell's a fucking ass hat. People have been saying this for some time but some people just wont see how easily replaceable the clown is even when he shit the bed with the Super Bowl on the line.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The route to Lockette was open, that's why he threw it. Butler was two yards deep into the end zone when Wilson released the ball, and Lockette had space - Wilson just threw it too far ahead and gave Butler the play on the ball. No other receiver had any separation on the play. The throw was bad, had he thrown it to Lockette instead of leading him, it's probably a touchdown. That pick is all on Wilson.

The thing you don't get is that we dialed up a high risk play for no fucking reason when we have the most mobile QB in the league and the most punishing RB in the league. It was a timing pattern that required a really good throw. Why run it? Why not play action with a roll out, or about 1000 other throwing plays that you could have called?

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to throw in that situation, still not the best idea, roll RW out and he has option to run and if no one is open, throw it away, clock stops, 3rd down with a TO left. If he runs and does not make it call the TO. Maybe uses 6-7 seconds.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is plenty of room for reasonable people to disagree on wether the play call should have been a run or a pass. A pass, in and of itself, is not an indefensible play call against a defensive formation clogging the middle of the field. I can see the logic of pulling the ball back and throwing, even if I don't agree with it in this particular situation.

But if you are going to pass, what is the fucking sense of running the pattern into the very clogged part of the field you are trying to avoid, and then asking your 5'10" QB to throw over the defenders, but still put the ball low enough that your WR is the only man who can make a play on it? The geometry is impossible. It was a stupid, risky play call with our personnel.

A bootleg, or a PA pass makes sense if you are going to go that route. Maybe split Willson out wide and get a matchup you like against a safety for the fade.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevel?....Tough loss, but if you're at the 1 yard line with 25 seconds to go in the SB the head coach should be calling the plays. Doesn't matter who called the plays all season. This one's on Pete Carroll. He's responsible for all the players and coaches.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was at the 1y line exactly, not half.

There wasn't any option for 3 runs.

If they ran it without a TO they were in 11 (1 TE, 1 RB rest WR's) against goal line. The odds of making that, even with the best RB in the league, isn't that high.

If you call the TO and get your group in you have one shot, maybe two if you spike it in time. You are selling all out on running.

You can't just say they should have ran it without saying HOW and why that is a better option besides the obvious "because what they did didn't work"

How? Simple you hand the ball off ... You don't run a slant ,you don't over-think it... After the Lynch 1st down run you make sure the right personnel gets in the game and you pound the rock .... You have 3 plays with a timeout in your hip pocket ....you use Lynch and we're celebrating a title again .... Wizard there is just no justification for risking passing the ball in that moment ... We didn't have too .... We have the best back in all of football for that situation ... You cannot justify that calL... Bevell cost us a title by once again using Lynch as a diversion and playing pussy ball at the goal line ... You don't say oh wow we don't have the personnel vs there goal line D... We have to throw ...NO!!! The Super Bowl was in the balance, and Lynch is your best option .... Too not use him there is a football sin.... and we're paying for that sin

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well according to Millen neither Lockette or Kearse did their jobs on that play as well. Blame all 3. Kearse was supposed to run a rub route and didn't get the clear, Lockette used poor technique to sell the fake, and Wilson didn't get the ball to the best location.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Bevell gets fired by the end of this week.

There was way too much traffic in that area to throw the ball.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? Simple you hand the ball off ... You don't run a slant ,you don't over-think it... After the Lynch 1st down run you make sure the right personnel gets in the game and you pound the rock .... You have 3 plays with a timeout in your hip pocket ....you use Lynch and we're celebrating a title again .... Wizard there is just no justification for risking passing the ball in that moment ... We didn't have too .... We have the best back in all of football for that situation ... You cannot justify that calL... Bevell cost us a title by once again using Lynch as a diversion and playing pussy ball at the goal line ... You don't say oh wow we don't have the personnel vs there goal line D... We have to throw ...NO!!! The Super Bowl was in the balance, and Lynch is your best option .... Too not use him there is a football sin.... and we're paying for that sin

Boogie, go calm down man. Really. Walk back away from the edge of the cliff and take at least 20 deep breaths. Try some meditation if you need to.

You are mixing up things. They went with 11 personnel and apparently intended to run out of that formation, but the Pats went to a goal line 3 DB formation so their book said to change to a passing play. It's really that simple.

I say they shouldn't have dicked around with 11 personnel. Go with full goal line to begin with. Go 22 or even 23. That would have been the better situation.

Who is that on? Pete Carroll. 110%

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie, go calm down man. Really. Walk back away from the edge of the cliff and take at least 20 deep breaths. Try some meditation if you need to.

You are mixing up things. They went with 11 personnel and apparently intended to run out of that formation, but the Pats went to a goal line 3 DB formation so their book said to change to a passing play. It's really that simple.

I say they shouldn't have dicked around with 11 personnel. Go with full goal line to begin with. Go 22 or even 23. That would have been the better situation.

Who is that on? Pete Carroll. 110%

There's nothing wrong with a passing play. The problem is which passing play they called. Idiotic. Indefensible. Whatever. You obviously take this very personally for god knows what reason so you'll defend the indefensible at this point. The reason everybody is saying it was an awful call is because it was an awful call.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing wrong with a passing play. The problem is which passing play they called. Idiotic. Indefensible. Whatever. You obviously take this very personally for god knows what reason so you'll defend the indefensible at this point. The reason everybody is saying it was an awful call is because it was an awful call.

Did you even read what I said? :L

What part of just go all out for the run didn't you get?

If you are even going to try and suggest a different passing play would have been better, then by all means tell us exactly which one because getting 2 on 2 with no safety and having your target up against an undrafted free agent rookie seems about as good as it gets.

You aren't going to convince me a different pass was a viable alternative. The mistakes was running 11 personnel out there intending to run with it and then balking when they saw the defense. Just put your run package in there and don't worry about disguising it as a passing play. If you want to win on the run, then don't dick around with that stupid shit, just run it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you even read what I said? :L

What part of just go all out for the run didn't you get?

If you are even going to try and suggest a different passing play would have been better, then by all means tell us exactly which one because getting 2 on 2 with no safety and having your target up against an undrafted free agent rookie seems about as good as it gets.

You aren't going to convince me a different pass was a viable alternative. The mistakes was running 11 personnel out there intending to run with it and then balking when they saw the defense. Just put your run package in there and don't worry about disguising it as a passing play. If you want to win on the run, then don't dick around with that stupid shit, just run it.

Dude, just stop. They dialed up the most high risk passing play when the ball was on the 1 which happens to be the worst route you can run with a short QB. Just let it go. The call was awful. Everyone besides you says it was an awful call because it was an awful call. Drop the whole browbeating arrogant crap as well. If you think that was anything but an awful call then you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch was 1/5 from the 1 yard line this season and everyone forgets the epic fumble by Bettis in 2005 on a 'lock play.'

Just saying.... the pass was fine there, I would've just liked a fade (something with a bit less INT potential) or Wilson roll out.

That said, they prob. wanted the quick slant so there was no chance Wilson takes a sack or runs for a loss, because I believe if the slant was incomplete, Lynch was getting the ball the next two plays. That also may have kept the Pats on their toes for another pass or roll out.

End of day it was a bleh pass by Wilson, a poor sell by Lockette, and an all pro play by a corner nobody expected.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, just stop. They dialed up the most high risk passing play when the ball was on the 1 which happens to be the worst route you can run with a short QB. Just let it go. The call was awful. Everyone besides you says it was an awful call because it was an awful call. Drop the whole browbeating arrogant crap as well. If you think that was anything but an awful call then you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

How about you just stop looking like an uninformed pissed off asshole?

I would love for you to right now give me a quote where I said it was a good call. In context of course.

Please, go do that.

There are two of you saying the same shit over and over again and just looking like retards doing it. It's time to prove it or maybe understand what is actually being said and get past it.

I'd like that proof right here. vvvvvv