• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers v. Cowboys - Divisional Round

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below are the three lowest-graded 49ers players on offense.

Below are the three lowest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Yep, it did look like the Dallas D-line was outplaying our O-line.

Would REALLY help if Kinlaw starts an upward trend. Not asking him to be All-Pro, but at least flash some plays.
So far, I think teh Dline misses Ridgeway more than they missed Kinlaw.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Strange that both of the Dallas playoff games against the Niners ended on weird, unconventional plays. This one was even funnier than the last one.

McCarthy was asked about the last play and how the play was supposed to go, but he didn't want to talk about it.

Looked like Purdy bailed out of the pocket a little too early a couple of times. At times, he looked a little rushed, like he was hurrying too much. Considering the pressure he was getting, it's hard to blame him, really.

IIRC, Shanny said he was playing for the FG and to try and run out the clock at the same time so just in case we stalled or the FG was no good, Dallas wouldn't get any time to move the ball before the half (b/c Dallas was getting the ball first in the 2nd half).
End of the 1st half: Don't like this logic because he starts off thinking "run out the clock". If there were only 35 seconds, then it would make sense, but i believe it was about 1:43 or so? Next, he just allowed 28 seconds to go by before deciding to throw it over 30 yards downfield anyway?!

That is the conservative Shanahan - worrying about stalling and Dallas taking over?! Glass half full thinking is try to score with that much time left, even if a field goal. You need to take advantage of your opportunities and IMO, this was one. I felt he should've run plays like draws, WR screens, check downs, etc. these plays don't stop the clock. Should you stall, then you punt it to THEIR 30 yard line.

Yes, as it turns out we did get a field goal, but the thinking was conservative. Can't be this conservative playing GOOD teams.

Would KC, Buffalo, or Philly think kill the clock? Hell even Dallas would've tried to kick that FG despite Maher.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On 38 dropbacks, Dak Prescott completed just 3 passes beyond 10 yards. The defense really did a good job limiting explosive plays. It's been something the Niners struggled with this season.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On 38 dropbacks, Dak Prescott completed just 3 passes beyond 10 yards. The defense really did a good job limiting explosive plays. It's been something the Niners struggled with this season.
For whatever reason (diff looks, diff pressures, etc) they made Dak uncomfortable in the pocket and he made late throws. Good on the D - it won't be as easy against Philly this week.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For whatever reason (diff looks, diff pressures, etc) they made Dak uncomfortable in the pocket and he made late throws. Good on the D - it won't be as easy against Philly this week.
Yeah, Dak seemed to get uncomfortable even though he wasn't under as much pressure (pass rush) as Purdy. I'm guessing once he threw his first INT, it got even worse for him? Anyway, both INTs were bad throws as opposed to receivers deflecting the ball up. The almost Greenlaw INT was also a bad throw.

This is understandable in play-off games, QB's know their first priority is avoid INTs. More so we're fortunate to have Purdy who SHOULDN'T have even gotten this far?! Purdy didn't wilt as the game went on and just threw it as called. Not all of his throws were good, but he didn't seem uncomfortable despite the pressure. Even when he scrambles, he doesn't seem to get all flustered and make 'forced' throws?

Agree on our defense, as good as it is, Philly is harder to defend. The rules favor the offense too much so OUR offense will need score 30 points themselves. It can be done if we get more TD's vice FG's.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnnydel's breakdown of the Cowboy game: