• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sidney Rice experiment failed. Who is to be the Seahawks new #1 WR?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think Kasen Williams stays another year at UW. He was a phenomenal talent in HS but so far has not not really lived up to his expectations in college football. I think he has more to gain by staying at UW than going to the draft. The talent is there, but the production is a huge question mark for him. Even more so now with the injury.

I agree. He may not be available for the combine and I think it would benefit him to have one more year of college to develop his game which regressed a bit in 2013.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this year Kearse gets his chance, next off season I see the Seahawks drafting a big WR with some speed. Who that is, is anyones guess. Anybody have a guess at who could fit the bill in the next draft?

i'm a huge doug baldwin fan. But i agree. Give the #1 spot to Kearse. He has shown to have some production most of the time the ball is thrown his way

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the need to bring in someone, I really would hate to move into next season and not tried to use a first for an offensive lineman. You'd think that the Seahawks would be picking within the last few picks of the round, so obviously the very top talent won't be available, but there isn't any reason a solid tackle couldn't be had. I'm sure someone like Cameron Erving (Florida State) or Antonio Richardson (Tennessee) should be around.

After that, it really could depend on how Kearse and Lockette perform to decide if a second round pick should be used on a WR. There should be some good ones left in the second, but with the possible departure of 2 of the top 3 CBs on the team, there may need to be some time devoted to a CB. I also wouldn't mind looking at guards in the second, guys like Anthony Steen (Alabama) or Xavier Su'a-filo (UCLA) (though the last time the Seahawks used pick 1 and 2 on linemen it was Carpenter and Moffitt).

I'm not sure that WR is one of those positions where you need a 1st rounder to have a top tier talent. The last few year have shown that there are a lot guys taken in later rounds who have been extremely productive. So, I wouldn't mind if the Seahawks got to the 4th round before they look to address this, and that is only if Kearse and Lockette don't show they can perform consistently.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate and Kearse will have to deal with this and step it up.

Baldwin is more of a slot and lacks the length those guys bring. Even when Harvin starts playing, he's versatile as hell, but still not a guy you line up at the WO spot regularly.

It's really time for Kearse to prove himself. Perfect op.

briwas101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to say the whole Sidney Rice signing did not work out and monday could have very likely been his last game in a Seahawks uniform. So I don't think it is too early to say that the Sidney Rice signing has been a bust.

I'm not saying it was a stupid move at the time, bringing in a 6'4 #1 WR who was only 25 at the time of signing him was the right move by the front office. Rice's injuries have obviously taken a serious toll on his ability to get separation and make big plays.

What does everyone think?

I've never understood why people say a bad move was the "right move at the time".

If it was a bad move then it was the WRONG move at the time.

The Hawks paid big money for a WR that had shown he has trouble staying healthy and only had ONE good season before he hit FA.

No, it was not the right move at the time. It was never the right move. It was never going to be the right move.

The Hawks wasted big money on a player that failed to improve the team when they could have spent that money elsewhere.

The Hawks are successful because of:
1. Their drafting.

2. The constant churn at the bottom of the roster that brings in serviceable players on cheap contracts instead of spending decent money on veterans who have peaked.

Their FA moves have been HOLDING THEM BACK.

I said on the ESPN board for years that there are ALWAYS about 10 teams that have a decent chance of walking away with the Lombardi, but what separates the winner from the has-beens is the ability to AVOID giving out big contracts to players who don't deserve it.

Did signing Rice prevent us from being a good team? Not at all.

Did it prevent us from being better than we currently are? Absolutely.

Unfortunately the Hawks didn't learn their lesson from the failed Rice signing and they decided to make an even bigger mistake and trade for Harvin and give him a huge contract.

The Hawks fail SO HARD when it comes to big contracts.

briwas101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we should just stop trying to trade for #1 WR's or signing them as FA's. It has obviously not worked under the Carroll and Schneider regime. This FO is real good at finding defensive talent, but not so much when it comes to offensive talent. I say we need to draft a WR with one of our top two picks. With so much money tied up in Harvin, we won't have much flexibility when it comes to the WR position. We just gotta hope and pray that the guy we draft pans out and contributes immediately.

DING DING DING we have a winner.

FA signing (or trading 1st rounder) has been such a fail for the Hawks. Carroll and Schneider need to admit that they suck at finding good high-priced players. They only know how to fail with that.

We need to draft a WR early to develop and pay close attention to mid-tier FA market this offseason.

I hate to say it, but with all the money wasted on Harvin already i just don't think we will get a quick fix for next season.

Our best hope of improving the passing game next year is to FINALLY work on the OL (Cable has been a huge disappointment like ive said all along).

I would like to see the Hawks transition into a pass-first offense with Wilson but that just isnt going to happen this year or next.

Right now we are still built to be a run-first team and with Michael waiting in the wings i think that will have to be our identity for the next 2-3 years at least.

Just stop throwing big money at failed ex-vikings. They failed in Minnesota and they fail in Seattle.

STOP.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember if I ever shared this on the ESPN boards or merely shared it in discussions I've had with buddies...but I've always liked Terrance Williams coming out of Baylor.

6'2 wide receiver with good speed and a good vertical. And look at what he's doing in Dallas now!

Keenan Allen was also a guy I liked out of the draft.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw two years ago brandon marshall went for what...a 4th round pick? Why did we not ever consider doing that but we throw big money at guys like tj housh, nate burleson, sydney rice...trade a 1st for deion branch

Seriously...how does a team like the Bears land one of the best wrs in the game...who was coming off 5 consecutive 1000 yd seasons for just a 4th rounder

And we traded a 1st rounder for a guy who had never had 1000 yds before?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw two years ago brandon marshall went for what...a 4th round pick? Why did we not ever consider doing that but we throw big money at guys like tj housh, nate burleson, sydney rice...trade a 1st for deion branch

Seriously...how does a team like the Bears land one of the best wrs in the game...who was coming off 5 consecutive 1000 yd seasons for just a 4th rounder

i remeber that deal. Nearly went ape-shit mad

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood why people say a bad move was the "right move at the time".

If it was a bad move then it was the WRONG move at the time.

The Hawks paid big money for a WR that had shown he has trouble staying healthy and only had ONE good season before he hit FA.

No, it was not the right move at the time. It was never the right move. It was never going to be the right move.

The Hawks wasted big money on a player that failed to improve the team when they could have spent that money elsewhere.

The Hawks are successful because of:
1. Their drafting.

2. The constant churn at the bottom of the roster that brings in serviceable players on cheap contracts instead of spending decent money on veterans who have peaked.

I said on the ESPN board for years that there are ALWAYS about 10 teams that have a decent chance of walking away with the Lombardi, but what separates the winner from the has-beens is the ability to AVOID giving out big contracts to players who don't deserve it.

Did signing Rice prevent us from being a good team? Not at all.

Did it prevent us from being better than we currently are? Absolutely.

Unfortunately the Hawks didn't learn their lesson from the failed Rice signing and they decided to make an even bigger mistake and trade for Harvin and give him a huge contract.

The Hawks fail SO HARD when it comes to big contracts.

You do realize you don't need to hit a space down after each sentence, right? You could always just try a paragraph...

Sorry, the grammar nazi came out in me there. But I disagree with you. At the time, bringing in Sidney Rice was the right move. At the time of the deal he was a 25 year old (Maybe 24?) who was a year removed from a 1,300 yard season. When a guy like that hits the market he is likely to draw a lot of interest, just as Sidney Rice did.

You could always make the case that Rice was injury prone, but even when he was healthy with Seattle he had regressed significantly from his 2009 season. Something nobody could have reasonably seen coming. It is just simply bad luck.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Seahawks were trying to trade for Brandon Marshall back when he was with the Broncos. The Dolphins traded for him then the Seahawks signed Sidney Rice. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Mike Williams was slated as the #2 WR. So when the Bears traded for Marshall the Seahawks WR situation was believed to be pretty solid with Sidney Rice and Mike Williams. I could have my timing completely off though, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I get what you're trying to say though.

I think the Sidney Rice thing is more bad luck if anything. Out of the 3 big WRs the Seahawks showed interest in (Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall and Sidney Rice) the Seahawks landed with the dud. Boy, sure would have been nice getting Vincent Jackson or Brandon Marshall instead.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that's invested in Harvin he will be the #1.

That being said with contracts coming up for guys like Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Okung and Wilson in couple of years; you are not gonna be able to allocate much more money to the WR position.
Our best bets are to hope a guys like Kearse or Baldwin develop or to hit on a guy in the draft next year. We could make a trade for a guy like Gordon I suppose but we are already without a 3rd in the next trap and I would rather keep our picks if we can. We obviously need to address our OL, CB (Browner and Thurmond likely walking), DL, WR/TE.

Harvin is not and never can be a number one receiver any more than Wes Welker is. If he's your number one target your passing game is in serious trouble.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As much as I hate doing the dreaded triple post I saw this while scrolling up and had to respond.

Some of the guys the Seahawks have signed via free agency:
Cliff Avril: Working out pretty well.
Michael Bennett: Has given the Seahawks an interior pass rush for the first time in a long time. I'd like to see him get a long term contract. He manages to get pressure inside and outside, something that is difficult to find in the NFL.
Brandon Browner: Free agent signing.
Tony McDaniel: Was a guy I was not too sure about when we signed him but has filled in nicely.
Clint McDonald: 3.5 sacks so far already from inside. If you project it over an entire season that is 7. Which is really impressive for a DT.
Zach Miller: Has not been overly impressive statistically but has been an extremely valuable blocker. I feel as if his lack of production is more on Bevell than anyone else.
Michael Robinson: Was a pro-bowl FB. It was recently released that Robinson was actually cut due to an illness that caused him to drop 30lbs. Not because he was a bad player.
Doug Baldwin: UDFA
Alan Branch: Two year starter inside. Was not a big pick up at the time but was productive for the Seahawks.
Mike Williams: Was out of the NFL and is now out of the NFL but served as our #1 WR at one point.
Raheem Brock: As a situational pass rusher accumulated 9 sacks for the Seahawks in 2010.
Breno Giacomini: Before coming to Seattle he was a journeyman. Became a serviceable starter for us.
Paul McQuistan: See above.

Obviously the Seahawks FA signings have not been all bad. Sorry to disappoint you.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin is not and never can be a number one receiver any more than Wes Welker is. If he's your number one target your passing game is in serious trouble.

Where do you come up with this crap? As a fan of the Patriots you should know better than to post this. Wes Welker was the #1 targeted WR in New England every year he was there except 2007 (Moss was targeted 160 times, Welker 145). He's currently tied for the most targets in Denver this season. There's just no reason that a slot guy can't be the guy who gets the most targets.

I see what I call the #1 as a role, not an indication of targets. Some label them x,y,z; I label them 1,2,3. Being a z (3) or slot receiver doesn't make you less skilled, just a different role that of an x's (1) role. I've been thinking that Rice should have been filling in a 2 role, Tate is a hybrid 2/3 and Baldwin is a 3. It's one of the issues I had with the receiving corps, was that not only was there no #1, but receivers have been asked to fill roles I don't think suits their skillsets.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what I call the #1 as a role, not an indication of targets. Some label them x,y,z; I label them 1,2,3. Being a z (3) or slot receiver doesn't make you less skilled, just a different role that of an x's (1) role. I've been thinking that Rice should have been filling in a 2 role, Tate is a hybrid 2/3 and Baldwin is a 3. It's one of the issues I had with the receiving corps, was that not only was there no #1, but receivers have been asked to fill roles I don't think suits their skillsets.

This is what I was trying to say in my original post. That is why I thought some people may have been confused when I said "Who will be the Seahawks new #1".

It is also why despite adding Harvin, I feel like the Seahawks are not finished at WR yet and should not be. Obviously the offensive line is the more pressing concern right now but I think that WR and O-Line need to be our biggest priorities in the offseason. I get the impression that Seahawks fans tend to think our WRs are better than they are since from time to time they will make an incredible catch or a big play. It is easy to ignore the fact that they're not getting open the other 95% of the time.