• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sidney Rice experiment failed. Who is to be the Seahawks new #1 WR?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to say the whole Sidney Rice signing did not work out and monday could have very likely been his last game in a Seahawks uniform. So I don't think it is too early to say that the Sidney Rice signing has been a bust.

I'm not saying it was a stupid move at the time, bringing in a 6'4 #1 WR who was only 25 at the time of signing him was the right move by the front office. Rice's injuries have obviously taken a serious toll on his ability to get separation and make big plays.

Sadly Sidney Rice is just the latest in a number of failed attempts by the Seahawks to bring in a #1 WR. Some other names on that list include T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Deion Branch.

But to the second topic of this thread,

Who will be the Seahawks new #1 WR?

This may be a redundant question for some of you as your automatic response will likely be "Percy Harvin"

Harvin is not who I meant. I'm asking who is going to be the Seahawks prototypical, big #1 WR? As it stands the Seahawks top 3 WRs are Percy Harvin (5'11 184lbs), Golden Tate (5'10 202lbs) and Doug Baldwin (5'10 189lbs).

There is an obvious lack of size on the Seahawks WR depth chart. Percy Harvin is a great player but does not fit the typical #1 WR mold, nor does Doug Baldwin or Golden Tate (Who is at the end of his contract)

With Rice's likely departure due to his cap hit, Golden Tate's inflated ego looking for a big contract he does not deserve, the Seahawks are likely to have a gap at WR that needs to be filled.

Who are the options?

My favorite option is Josh Gordon.

He is only 22, a big play WR and he has played outstandingly on a Browns team without many other playmakers to take the heat off him. I also like him because he is still under his rookie contract for another 2 years and therefore will not be a huge cap hit. I bring his name up before other free agent WRs because of that small cap hit. Percy Harvin's contract will be around a $10m cap hit per year, and it makes sense to try to get someone in there who will not cost a lot.

Another option is Larry Fitzgerald.

Not a fan of trading for Fitz for a number of reasons. He has a large cap hit, he is 30 years old and the Cardinals will likely require a premium in return for trading him to a division rival.

Hakeem Nicks:

Good player, although I worry about the possibility of his stats being inflated being with a Giants team that throws the ball a lot. Also the concern with him is the large cap hit.

Draft:

Always an option but the Seahawks have not had a ton of luck drafting WRs in a long time. It is a crapshoot and I'm not sure I want the Seahawks to be starting a rookie 2nd or 3rd round pick at WR.

What does everyone think?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Rice's likely departure due to his cap hit, Golden Tate's inflated ego looking for a big contract he does not deserve, the Seahawks are likely to have a gap at WR that needs to be filled.
Care to elaborate on this or you just gonna stick with the strategy of pulling things out of your ass?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to elaborate on this or you just gonna stick with the strategy of pulling things out of your ass?

I know he's not a big Golden Tate fan, but that was a pretty ludicrous statement.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why exactly would the Browns want to trade him?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Josh Gordon idea. Before Rice got hurt, I wasn't sure about another first round pick being traded for a WR, but now it's gonna be evident that this receiving corps is rubbish. I'm not sure if 1 first rounder gets him, and not sure if Browns look to trade him during the off-season.

As for free agents, there are a few options I like, but most will be calling for similar money as Harvin, which I am not sure can be done long term right now.

Eric Decker is a guy who has benefitted from Peyton Manning, and having plenty of other talented WRs defenses have to account for. He is 6'3" 206 pounds and runs good routes, so teaming him up with Harvin should keep the D from targeting one over the other.

I really have never been a huge Nicks fan, so not sure I'd be too excited to bring him in.

I do like Danario Alexander, but injury problems should be a concern, but should also make him rather inexpensive.

Darrius Heyward-Bey has shown that he has become a solid WR, something that when he was drafted I wasn't sure he ever would. His numbers are a little down this year, but he's the outsider coming in (Wayne going down should give him more opportunities). He is 6'2" and has speed while also most likely being rather cheap. Oh, and he's only 26.

As for the draft, I'm not sure there are any real super stars coming out. I know that there's a lot of love from Pac-12 announcers for Marquise Lee, but a 6 foot flat, I don't think he's much defferent than having another 5'11" guy (I really do like big WRs on the outside as long as they can get seperation). Here are a few I like in the first couple rounds who are the big WR types I would like to see come in to work with some of the smaller WRs we already have - anticipating all underclassmen listed will come out:

Mike Evans (Texas A&M) 130-2206-16 (6'5" 225) I have watched him a little bit, but I honestly can't tell right now how much of his success is his skill or Manzell's.

Brandon Coleman (Rutgers) 81-1567-18 (6'6" 220) He hasn't been Mohamed Sanu for Rutgers, but he has been the best receiver for the team since Sanu left.

Allen Robinson (Penn St.) 135-1925-17 (6'3" 210) Had over 1000 yards receiving and 11 TDs for a Penn State team that could have just fallen apart after what happened to the program. It looks like he will be finishing with those kind of numbers again.

Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt) 215-3173-22 (6'3" 205) Led the SEC in receptions in 2012 (2nd in yards) for a team that just isn't as good as the teams they play. He is on pace to duplicate his 2012 numbers (94-1323-8).

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Browns are probably asking for a king's ransom in return, which is probably why Gordon didn't get traded yesterday.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that's invested in Harvin he will be the #1.

That being said with contracts coming up for guys like Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Okung and Wilson in couple of years; you are not gonna be able to allocate much more money to the WR position.
Our best bets are to hope a guys like Kearse or Baldwin develop or to hit on a guy in the draft next year. We could make a trade for a guy like Gordon I suppose but we are already without a 3rd in the next trap and I would rather keep our picks if we can. We obviously need to address our OL, CB (Browner and Thurmond likely walking), DL, WR/TE.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that's invested in Harvin he will be the #1.

I don't think so. He's gonna be the slot, and that's a completely different position and has completely different responsibility than a #1 does. The need to go out and get a viable #1 to help Harvin should be high on the list for this pass offense.

I'm not saying that Harvin won't get the most targets, just that the position he plays isn't the same that is being discussed when you talk #1 WR. The way I see it, it's like trying to add a Randy Moss to be the #1 even though you throw the ball more often to Wes Welker.

Now the Seahawks could aleviate some of the need for a true #1 by getting their TEs involved more, but there just hasn't been a concerted effort to get Miller and Willson more involved in the passing game.

In the end, unless there's better personnel, or a change in offensive game calling, Harvin won't solve our receiver issues, no matter how good he is.

EducAsian69

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we should just stop trying to trade for #1 WR's or signing them as FA's. It has obviously not worked under the Carroll and Schneider regime. This FO is real good at finding defensive talent, but not so much when it comes to offensive talent. I say we need to draft a WR with one of our top two picks. With so much money tied up in Harvin, we won't have much flexibility when it comes to the WR position. We just gotta hope and pray that the guy we draft pans out and contributes immediately.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kearse will fill his spot. You have to develop your own guys. I'm sure they will address it further in the draft. But you cant look for the quick fix every time, Gordon has his own problems, Nicks is another injury case and Fitz is a pipe dream.

Personally, I feel like Kearse is a lateral move at worst. I'm not panicking, I could totally see this end up being a good thing.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Williams would be nice right about now

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this year Kearse gets his chance, next off season I see the Seahawks drafting a big WR with some speed. Who that is, is anyones guess. Anybody have a guess at who could fit the bill in the next draft?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would venture to guess the Hawks draft O-Line in the first round and maybe second round or a tall WR in the second. I don't know who's out there but we need some height at that position.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would venture to guess the Hawks draft O-Line in the first round and maybe second round or a tall WR in the second. I don't know who's out there but we need some height at that position.

Well, I posted this about the big receivers in the draft. These are the ones projected 1st or 2nd round.

Mike Evans (Texas A&M) 130-2206-16 (6'5" 225) I have watched him a little bit, but I honestly can't tell right now how much of his success is his skill or Manzell's.

Brandon Coleman (Rutgers) 81-1567-18 (6'6" 220) He hasn't been Mohamed Sanu for Rutgers, but he has been the best receiver for the team since Sanu left.

Allen Robinson (Penn St.) 135-1925-17 (6'3" 210) Had over 1000 yards receiving and 11 TDs for a Penn State team that could have just fallen apart after what happened to the program. It looks like he will be finishing with those kind of numbers again.

Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt) 215-3173-22 (6'3" 205) Led the SEC in receptions in 2012 (2nd in yards) for a team that just isn't as good as the teams they play. He is on pace to duplicate his 2012 numbers (94-1323-8).

All of them run around an estimated 4.5 40.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another guy I like, but is projected to be a later round pick is Cody Hoffman. I've watched nearly every game this season for BYU, and I have really liked him.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think there is a reason to stress about not having a true #1. I mean when was last time we had a true number 1 or even a pro bowl receiver. I really do think having Harvin will open things up for other guys.
I do think it should be addressed in the draft but I dont see any need to spend money or trade picks for one.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I posted this about the big receivers in the draft. These are the ones projected 1st or 2nd round.

All of them run around an estimated 4.5 40.

Thanks for the info. I need to start paying attention to WRs in the college ranks.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the two WRs that are 1st round material are currently:

Mike Evans, Tex A&M, 6'5" (One can dream, but him on the Seahawks = :drool: )
Sammy Watkins, Clemson, 6'1"

Round 2-4 guys who have length for a #1 WO role are like:

Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss, 6'3"

Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt, 6'3"

Jared Abberderis, Wisconsin, 6'2"

Kasen Williams, Washington, 6'2" (projected recovery 4-6 months from his current injury. Lots of ? going forward.)

Cody Hoffman, BYU, 6'4"

Allen Robinson, Penn State, 6'3"

Some of them have so, so speed, but proven redzone chops and good vert for making tough grabs. We're only half way through 2013, but those are some ideas at WR if we took one round 1-4.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So waving at opposing players before going into the end zone like he is Randy Moss or something does not indicate he has a ridiculously inflated ego? Or his massive celebrations after any play he makes?

Maybe if you stop sniffing his jock strap you can start thinking clearly.

I don't think they should trade him, but they were listening to offers.

Eric Decker is a guy who has benefitted from Peyton Manning, and having plenty of other talented WRs defenses have to account for. He is 6'3" 206 pounds and runs good routes, so teaming him up with Harvin should keep the D from targeting one over the other.

I like Eric Decker but as you said, having Peyton Manning and the other WRs does not hurt. He is a guy that may be over valued due to his inflated stats from playing with Manning.

I do like Danario Alexander, but injury problems should be a concern, but should also make him rather inexpensive.

I considered him, but isn't he a restricted free agent? He was a guy I wanted the Seahawks to sign as a UDFA. Sadly the injuries keep coming back to hurt him though.

Darrius Heyward-Bey has shown that he has become a solid WR, something that when he was drafted I wasn't sure he ever would. His numbers are a little down this year, but he's the outsider coming in (Wayne going down should give him more opportunities). He is 6'2" and has speed while also most likely being rather cheap. Oh, and he's only 26.

His stats were better with the Raiders than I had expected. But if he was that great of a WR, the Raiders wouldn't have cut him in the first place. He has not impressed me much with the Colts, plus the terrible game he had against the Seahawks makes me like him even less. He could be a cheaper option if the Seahawks cannot find anything better. Not someone I would want long term.

I like Mike Evans a lot personally. Reminds me a ton of Vincent Jackson. Only problem is he looks as if he could go in the top 10 at this point though.

Stephen Williams would be nice right about now

There is a reason we cut him you know.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the two WRs that are 1st round material are currently:

Mike Evans, Tex A&M, 6'5" (One can dream, but him on the Seahawks = :drool: )
Sammy Watkins, Clemson, 6'1"

Round 2-4 guys who have length for a #1 WO role are like:

Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss, 6'3"

Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt, 6'3"

Jared Abberderis, Wisconsin, 6'2"

Kasen Williams, Washington, 6'2" (projected recovery 4-6 months from his current injury. Lots of ? going forward.)

Cody Hoffman, BYU, 6'4"

Allen Robinson, Penn State, 6'3"

Some of them have so, so speed, but proven redzone chops and good vert for making tough grabs. We're only half way through 2013, but those are some ideas at WR if we took one round 1-4.

I have to think Kasen Williams stays another year at UW. He was a phenomenal talent in HS but so far has not not really lived up to his expectations in college football. I think he has more to gain by staying at UW than going to the draft. The talent is there, but the production is a huge question mark for him. Even more so now with the injury.