• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked a simple question. It uses some mythical “elite team” theory that’s two standard deviations from something but you don’t really know but you just want everyone to just accept it rather than the one that is pretty much considered the gold standard for SoS to the rest of the sporting world uses.

Maybe because the rest of their games against teams not in the playoffs were absolute shit including their FCS game?

Why isn’t The FuckBois able to see Maryland as #1 but Sagarin’s (again the one the rest of the sporting world looks at) one is?

2 standard deviations from average. Where did I lose you?

I have tried many times to explain these things to people, I end up wasting my time. So yes, I'm not going to waste my time with the majority of the people here to explain it in depth if I don't think they are capable of grasping it no matter what. So take it as a compliment that I answer you.

The results speak for themselves. Calling Sagarin the gold standard is bullshit. Sagarin is just published by USA Today, so fucking what.

But please, tell me why Maryland played a tougher schedule than Auburn. Why aren't you making the argument?

The FCS games do not count in this SoS, so it's impossible that they were affected by it. Teams are in effect PUNISHED by the SoS method I linked as a result.

Btw, here's an example of what I mean by fallacies that people don't see understand.

Which 2 game schedule is more difficult:

Team A: vs #48 and #49 teams
Team B: vs #1 and #100 teams.

Most(including mine) would incorrectly say Team A had the tougher schedule, but barely. Even though proably any top25 team would win both games.

The one I linked says Team B played the tougher schedule by a decent margin.

They aren't all equal and just because people like to pick and choose based on which one gives them the result they like the most, I look at the method. It's why I quote the same one over and over regardless of how much the results like Alabama.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 8 conference games is fine. I just think that P5 teams should no longer be allowed to play FCS teams. Play fellow P5 or G5, but FCS should be off the table. Get the P5 leagues to agree to this separate of the NCAA.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you determine team strength?

BCF Toys - 2017 FEI Ratings

The Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI) is a college football rating system based on opponent-adjusted drive efficiency. Approximately 20,000 possessions are contested annually in FBS vs. FBS games. First-half clock-kills and end-of-game garbage drives and scores are filtered out. Game efficiency (GE) is a measure of net success on non-garbage possessions, and FEI opponent adjustments are calculated with special emphasis placed on quality performances against good teams, win or lose. SOS ratings represent the average number of losses an elite team (two standard deviations better than average) would have against the team's schedule to date.

Offensive FEI (OFEI) is value generated per drive adjusted for starting field position and opponent defenses faced. Defensive FEI (DFEI) is value generated per opponent drive adjusted for starting field position and opponent offenses faced. Special Teams Efficiency (STE) is the average value generated per possession by a team's non-offensive and non-defensive units. The team's record to date against opponents ranked in the FEI top 10 (v10), top 20 (v20), top 30 (v30), top 40 (v40), and top 50 (v50) are also provided.

Basically, advanced stats that are better than the ones I did.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why SOS rankings are stupid. Anyone can find one that fits their argument and then just plead ignorance to all others. Like @4down20

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why SOS rankings are stupid. Anyone can find one that fits their argument and then just plead ignorance to all others. Like @4down20

What a surprise, the dumb guy doesn't like the things he doesn't understand.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 standard deviations from average. Where did I lose you?

I have tried many times to explain these things to people, I end up wasting my time. So yes, I'm not going to waste my time with the majority of the people here to explain it in depth if I don't think they are capable of grasping it no matter what. So take it as a compliment that I answer you.

The results speak for themselves. Calling Sagarin the gold standard is bullshit. Sagarin is just published by USA Today, so fucking what.

But please, tell me why Maryland played a tougher schedule than Auburn. Why aren't you making the argument?

The FCS games do not count in this SoS, so it's impossible that they were affected by it. Teams are in effect PUNISHED by the SoS method I linked as a result.

Btw, here's an example of what I mean by fallacies that people don't see understand.

Which 2 game schedule is more difficult:

Team A: vs #48 and #49 teams
Team B: vs #1 and #100 teams.

Most(including mine) would incorrectly say Team A had the tougher schedule, but barely. Even though proably any top25 team would win both games.

The one I linked says Team B played the tougher schedule by a decent margin.

They aren't all equal and just because people like to pick and choose based on which one gives them the result they like the most, I look at the method. It's why I quote the same one over and over regardless of how much the results like Alabama.
That's great and all, but what is an "average" team?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have P5 status with most, but no, they are not by definition a P5 team.
Kansas, Baylor, Oregon State, Illinois, etal are P5s...but ONLY by definition or more accurately association.

Good thing they don't categorize them by their quality of play.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it the concept of average that you don't understand?

BCF Toys - 2017 FEI Ratings

:lol: continues to spam the website that 100% conforms to his idiotic brand of thinking. SHOCKING!

According to those people. Iowa, Iowa State & Boston College are top 25 teams :pound:in case you were wondering why it's bogus.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas, Baylor, Oregon State, Illinois, etal are P5s...but ONLY by definition or more accurately association.

I completely agree. There was sacarsm in my ND slam.

There was not when I said Oregon St, Kansas and Illinois are no better than Mercer.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: continues to spam the website that 100% conforms to his idiotic brand of thinking. SHOCKING!

According to those people. Iowa, Iowa State & Boston College are top 25 teams :pound:in case you were wondering why it's bogus.

Those are called power ratings, they are not season rankings.

Ohio St is part of the reason Iowa is up so high.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should make the 4 worst P5 teams play a tourney every year. Winner gets to stay, the other 3 get demoted for the 3 highest ranking Non P5 teams. That would make things interesting.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are called power ratings, they are not season rankings.

Ohio St is part of the reason Iowa is up so high.

I'm not homer enough to even begin to pretend that Iowa is a top 25 team.

I'm sure you fully believe in your Bama brain that Miss State is a top 20 team though.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not homer enough to even begin to pretend that Iowa is a top 25 team.

I'm sure you fully believe in your Bama brain that Miss State is a top 20 team though.

Iowa isn't a top25 team, that's not what it's saying.

It is saying they extremely underachieved though.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa isn't a top25 team, that's not what it's saying.

It is saying they extremely underachieved though.

You shouldnt get any credit for underachieving