• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Myth About Tyron Smith

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a great offensive tackle, in his first five seasons........... no doubt
But in his last eight seasons (in regular season games), he's only started 64% of his games.

In his last four seasons, he's only started 47% of his regular season games.
He started only 30 games out of a possible 64 regular season games.
in 2020 he started two games...........in 2022 he started four games

in 13 seasons he's only had four seasons starting every regular season game. .....(4 out of his 5 first seasons)

How great is some player, if he's hurt half the time?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hoping for a Paul Bunyan type story when I opened this.

Think everyone, even Smith himself and the Jets, is aware he’s a great player at the end of his career.

Hearing a few different Urban Legends as to why no Free Agents are signing in Dallas.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hoping for a Paul Bunyan type story when I opened this.

Think everyone, even Smith himself and the Jets, is aware he’s a great player at the end of his career.

Hearing a few different Urban Legends as to why no Free Agents are signing in Dallas.
their cap maneuvering is absolutely dreadful having looked at how they handled a few deals

they already passed their swing and miss years on this Dak deal... This is his last year and they still owe 95 million of his 126 guaranteed. He has a full dead cap hit of 40 million coming next year. So Jerry will have to pay that out and extend Dak so they can spread that out better

But Michael Gallup also has 14 million dead cap left. Yikes.

Last edited:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not exactly news. Washington desperately needed a stop gap LT until they find the long term answer in the draft. Most every fan declined the Smith idea for this very reason, he can't be counted on to be available.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyron Smith is the most injury prone player in the league for sure and absolutely will not play 17 games. But, that isn't a myth. It is known by all, including the the Jets who signed him to an incentive laden deal this year and the Cowboys who did so last year in lieu of cutting him. But, the fact remains he is still a dominant LT when he does play. He was really good last year and I expect he will be again this year. I would have been fine if the Cowboys brought him back as long as the guaranteed and base salary were both low and the deal was mostly incentive based. This way he only hurts your cap if he plays a big chunk of the season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their cap maneuvering is absolutely dreadful having looked at how they handled a few deals

they already passed their swing and miss years on this Dak deal... This is his last year and they still owe 95 million of his 126 guaranteed. He has a full dead cap hit of 40 million coming next year. So Jerry will have to pay that out and extend Dak so they can spread that out better

That's not totally true. Their decision making has been poor or even dreadful. The dreadful cap move would be to extend Dak and push his base back down the $1M this year and kick another $28M down the road. Letting Dak play out the year is the smartest thing for their cap whether they re-sign him next year or not. I've been calling for this for over a year now. The dead money is the norm as long as not to excess. Using the Browns as an example since you are a Browns fan, on the $40M, you don't think Watson is going to have a comparable amount or more dead money left on his deal once his contract is up? As things stand now, which is kind of meaningless of course, like most teams, the Cowboys have $83M in cap space next year (including some of that dead money for Dak but not all as it may accelerate) the Browns are $38M over the cap. How do you think they are going to get under? The following year the Cowboys have $232M more cap space than the Browns. That Watson deal is going to get hit hard to create space just like Dak's deal was.

Last edited:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holding out for some far from reality hopeful reasons why nobody wants to come play for Dallas.

Since everybody knows Smith has had injuries a couple times the last few years.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not totally true. Their decision making has been poor or even dreadful. The dreadful cap move would be to extend Dak and push his base back down the $1M this year and kick another $28M down the road. Letting Dak play out the year is the smartest thing for their cap whether they re-sign him next year or not. I've been calling for this for over a year now. The dead money is the norm as long as not to excess. Using the Browns as an example since you are a Browns fan, on the $40M, you don't think Watson is going to have a comparable amount or more dead money left on his deal once his contract is up? As things stand now, which is kind of meaningless of course, like most teams, the Cowboys have $83M in cap space next year (including some of that dead money for Dak but not all as it may accelerate) the Browns are $38M over the cap. How do you think they are going to get under? The following year the Cowboys have $232M more cap space than the Browns. That Watson deal is going to get hit hard to create space just like Dak's deal was.

Depends what they do

as it stands they have 8 million

They're taking the full cap hit on Deahaun this year. So at that point they will have 120 left and 2 actual contractual years left. I imagine they will spread that out next year provided Deshaun plays well. If he doesn't then they will cut bait with Conklin and Wills and restructure Bitonio and sign low cost replacements to go with Rookies to slide under the cap and look to reset.

The issue with Dallas (the purpose of this thread and not Cleveland) is they already swung and missed and are at the reset part. Granted they will be in a good place next year cap wise even with the likely 50 to 60 million Dak eats up. Their team isn't as good as last years version.

Cleveland could very easily (and likely will be) in the same place next year. How this is all viewed regarding them depends on how they perform this year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what they do

as it stands they have 8 million

They're taking the full cap hit on Deahaun this year. So at that point they will have 120 left and 2 actual contractual years left. I imagine they will spread that out next year provided Deshaun plays well. If he doesn't then they will cut bait with Conklin and Wills and restructure Bitonio and sign low cost replacements to go with Rookies to slide under the cap and look to reset.

The issue with Dallas (the purpose of this thread and not Cleveland) is they already swung and missed and are at the reset part. Granted they will be in a good place next year cap wise even with the likely 50 to 60 million Dak eats up. Their team isn't as good as last years version.

Cleveland could very easily (and likely will be) in the same place next year. How this is all viewed regarding them depends on how they perform this year.
I'm talking about dead money and can use any team. That was seemingly your comment. If you don't think Cle will have a crap ton of dead money on Watson's deal when it is a year out form being done, you aren't being honest or you aren't getting how NFL contracts work in a cap world. He has already been restructured once in the only year without a small cap hit and will will absolutely happen again.

He has 3 years left and already $9M in dead money and now is when the dead money starts to really pile up because the 5 years they spread out the restructure bonus will be more and more in the "dead years". They reduced his 2023 salary to $1M and because there were a lot of years left on the deal only $9M of it went into a dead money year. If they do it again it will push $18M more into dead years and if they do it in 2025 it will push $27M into dead years. It's just how it works with QB contracts. You actually think they are going to have Watson count $64M per year against the cap for the next 3 years? Even though I'm sure they would want a mulligan on that whole ordeal to acquire him and give him a huge guaranteed deal, I can't imagine they are even considering that

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about dead money and can use any team. That was seemingly your comment. If you don't think Cle will have a crap ton of dead money on Watson's deal when it is a year out form being done, you aren't being honest or you aren't getting how NFL contracts work in a cap world. He has already been restructured once in the only year without a small cap hit and will will absolutely happen again.

He has 3 years left and already $9M in dead money and now is when the dead money starts to really pile up because the 5 years they spread out the restructure bonus will be more and more in the "dead years". They reduced his 2023 salary to $1M and because there were a lot of years left on the deal only $9M of it went into a dead money year. If they do it again it will push $18M more into dead years and if they do it in 2025 it will push $27M into dead years. It's just how it works with QB contracts. You actually think they are going to have Watson count $64M per year against the cap for the next 3 years? Even though I'm sure they would want a mulligan on that whole ordeal to acquire him and give him a huge guaranteed deal, I can't imagine they are even considering that

I think it depends on how he does. This year they are taking the full hit (as of now)

I agree they are more likely to push the rest further down but again how Berry is viewed on all this heavily leans on 2024.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyron Smith is the most injury prone player in the league for sure and absolutely will not play 17 games.

Bakhtiari has to be in the running recently... after signing his 4 year contract to become highest paid tackle he played only 13 games regular season and missed 37 games regular season/4 post season... and then released this year and yet to be picked up in free agency.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bakhtiari has to be in the running recently... after signing his 4 year contract to become highest paid tackle he played only 13 games regular season and missed 37 games regular season/4 post season... and then released this year and yet to be picked up in free agency.
Sir, this dose not fit the narrative.

Only think missing from this thread is DJ's wisdom.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Tyron has missed the most time. With Tyron it's usually tons of different minor injuries. You never know from week to week if he will play.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Tyron has missed the most time. With Tyron it's usually tons of different minor injuries. You never know from week to week if he will play.

I was not saying Bakh either.... actually before his last big contract he missed few games. But then after last big contract he missed about 75% of games... unfortunately for Packers they could have used him in playoffs for some of those games.

But that is football.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar although Tyron been missing lots of games for the past decade. Tyron became very injury prone when he was in his mid 20s.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wonder if 8M for Wagner woulda been better than 3.5 for Kendricks?

Dallas won the division last year. Jerry is pushing towards 25.
This is where Jerry is a real dipchit. All that running through the Cowboys defense does not happen if they would have went after Wagner.

Cowboys have been historically cheap and stupid when it comes to linebackers.

They let players like Ken Norton,Burnett and Godfrey walk. Burnett should have started over Barbie