• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally prefer the eight conference game model because it provides a 4 home/4 away balance to the schedule. You don't have half the teams getting the scheduling advantage of five home games while the other half only gets four. The conferences with nine game conference schedules handicap half of their conference each year.

I know the thread is about the SEC but when the ACC went to the 9 game conference schedule after adding Pitt and Syracuse but prior to the Notre Dame deal Clemson promptly dropped OOC series with Ole Miss and Oklahoma State. With South Carolina already on the OOC slate every year and the SC legislature all but mandating that we play an in-state FCS team each year we would have only had one other OOC date. Since a 9 game schedule means that every other year you have five conference road games it would be impossible with the South Carolina home/home to maintain the necessary seven home games that provide huge revenue to the university and the city.

I understand the reasoning for the Pac 12 going to nine conference games because of the immense travel they already do within the conference schedule and the sheer lack of close by OOC games for many of their teams, but teams in the east do not have that problem.

That is a good call on the home vs away conference schedule. I never thought about that aspect.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well mainly because you won't take off the pink earmuffs and listen to what we have to say?
:hmm:

I'll be honest, I really only read about 2 sentences of your posts because that's how long it takes before I hear something stupid.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how you move from inept to complicated if it helps your argument. :bullshit:

My argument about ALL of the methods of calculating SOS stands, unchallenged by your arguments to the contrary. No matter what method used, it should only be used as a factor, not a sole determinate in rating teams.

But that exposes a more important point. FBS football is the only sport on Earth where such machinations shit like SOS ratings, power rankings, conference affiliation, OOC games, and the weekly top 25 are even necessary. In every other sport, if there is a national or international crown to be won, and multiple leagues or conferences that participate, EVERY conference, league or division winner gets a chance, ON THE FIELD OF PLAY!. So Boise State would not only get in, they could WIN the whole damn thing. It happens every year in every other NCAA sport, there is always an underdog or small conference school that makes the finals or semi-finals.

But FBS football uses the goofiest system ever invented, 10 conferences, 5 designed elite, 5 designated 2nd class, and they only allow 4 teams to play for it all, and this year two of them came from the SEC.

I have patiently tried to explain why these scheduling tricks should be exposed and addressed, because they really are used to cook the books and rig the system.

But here is the bottom line, @4down20. The system that exists is not fair to all participants. And the SEC along with the others who have the advantage have little desire to change it. Thus you use red herrings to distract the conversation from it's real purpose, how can the system be changed to make it better?
:dingdingding:
You, like always, are full of shit. One coach in the SEC is on record as stating he is in favor of a 9 game IC, as well as also being on record as saying P5 should only play P5. I imagine you can determine who that coach is, but will only admit it now that its been pointed out. Your false comment on little desire to change it is just that. One coach fights the fight each year, voting yes on a 9 game ICS, yet he is a lone vote. So there is a voice out there in favor, yet you choose to ignore it or even acknowledge it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone in the SEC basically picks up an extra win

Because you know damn well they arent using that 4th OOC game to schedule anyone worth a damn.

This basically bumps up the whole SEC +1 in the win column

and you bozos wanna act like this is no big deal and no advantage.

Since you quote the worse OOC opponent as being the extra SEC opponent, does that mean I get to quote the worse in conference opponent as being your 9th game?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think that Mercer's phone is ringing off the hook for an easy win to pad the ol resume and payoff the school??? I would think it would be.

I live about 20 minutes from Mercer, and am friends with the assistant AD. They have a lot of games already scheduled for the next 3-5 years with bigger programs. Including two more games playing Auburn and Alabama in the next few seasons.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you can read the thread where your question has already been answered.
Okay fair enough, you don't want to answer my question. I can live with that.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS: For those who cry about FCS games and the SoS method I post - It gives teams 0 credit for playing FCS teams. In other words, it's actually impossible that those games affect the SoS in a positive way. It doesn't consider them an extra game, the teams that don't play FCS teams instead get credit for playing an extra game.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live about 20 minutes from Mercer, and am friends with the assistant AD. They have a lot of games already scheduled for the next 3-5 years with bigger programs. Including two more games playing Auburn and Alabama in the next few seasons.
:L Auburn and Alabama will be playing Mercer in the next few years?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay fair enough, you don't want to answer my question. I can live with that.

Your question was answered long before you just went around and made shit up.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Auburn and Alabama will be playing Mercer in the next few years?

I was told sometime in the next 5 years. I can find out the exact date if you want me to.

EDIT: Alabama plays Mercer in 2021, Auburn plays them in 2022

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn played the toughest schedule in the country this year.

If it's such an advantage, how is that possible? Pac12 and Big10 teams should be at the top of the SoS rankings, and you aren't.
All depends on who you check. Sagarin’s has Maryland with the top SoS, and the BigTen with 3 of the top ten toughest schedules.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends on who you check. Sagarin’s has Maryland with the top SoS, and the BigTen with 3 of the top ten toughest schedules.

BCF Toys - 2017 SOS Ratings

#4 Maryland
#12 Ohio St

I really don't take Sagarin serious to be honest. Ranking FCS teams equally along FBS teams is really dumb IMO. I'll use it for FCS teams and bottom feeder FBS teams and that's about it really.

Auburn played 3 out of the 4 playoff teams, one of them twice. If there is a tougher schedule than that out there, I'd like to hear about it. I don't think it's coincidence that the SoS method I've been linking for years recognizes it. I actually do have a pretty good understanding of these things and know what to look for.

Feel free to use it against me, Alabama is way down at #60. I feel that is accurate given the way it weighs FSU.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BCF Toys - 2017 SOS Ratings

#4 Maryland
#12 Ohio St

I really don't take Sagarin serious to be honest. Ranking FCS teams equally along FBS teams is really dumb IMO.

Auburn played 3 out of the 4 playoff teams, one of them twice. If there is a tougher schedule than that out there, I'd like to hear about it. I don't think it's coincidence that the SoS method I've been linking for years recognizes it. I actually do have a pretty good understanding of these things and know what to look for.
I really don’t take a mythical “elite team” theory as being the basis of a SoS ranking system serious to be honest.

Auburn definitely had a ridiculously tough schedule on the top end, they were ranked #3 according to Sagarin’s and only an idiot would argue that they didn’t have a tough schedule.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t take a mythical “elite team” theory as being the basis of a SoS ranking system serious to be honest.

Auburn definitely had a ridiculously tough schedule on the top end, they were ranked #3 according to Sagarin’s and only an idiot would argue that they didn’t have a tough schedule.

It's not mythical, it's 2 standard deviations from average(to the good obviously).

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not mythical, it's 2 standard deviations from average.
From average of what? Against what?

You can admit it, it’s a SoS that you and you buddies created and you keep posting it here to get clicks to it. I have never seen anyone cite it except you.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From average of what? Against what?

You can admit it, it’s a SoS that you and you buddies created and you keep posting it here to get clicks to it. I have never seen anyone cite it except you.

I don't know the guy who runs that at all. If I had anything to do with it, it wouldn't take until Tuesday most weeks for the stupid thing to update.

And for the record: It's better than mine was/would be if I was still running it.

But it's funny that rather than just accept it may be valid, you look for a cop out.

Why isn't Sagarin's able to see Auburn as #1 but this one is?

But yeah hey, sorry for bringing quality stats to the site. Who wants that shit right?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the guy who runs that at all. If I had anything to do with it, it wouldn't take until Tuesday most weeks for the stupid thing to update.

And for the record: It's better than mine was/would be if I was still running it.

But it's funny that rather than just accept it may be valid, you look for a cop out.

Why isn't Sagarin's able to see Auburn as #1 but this one is?

But yeah hey, sorry for bringing quality stats to the site. Who wants that shit right?
I asked a simple question. It uses some mythical “elite team” theory that’s two standard deviations from something but you don’t really know but you just want everyone to just accept it rather than the one that is pretty much considered the gold standard for SoS to the rest of the sporting world uses.

Maybe because the rest of their games against teams not in the playoffs were absolute shit including their FCS game?

Why isn’t The FuckBois able to see Maryland as #1 but Sagarin’s (again the one the rest of the sporting world looks at) one is?