• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any SoS method that uses win% in any way shape or form is bad. It's to say every 7-5 team is equal, without regards to who those 7 wins and 5 losses come to. So while you may think the difference in conference win% is a big deal, the reality is that it's not.

What matters is the strength of the team, which you can find in what occurred during the game, not a tick in the win/loss column.

I'm sure many a SEC team picked up that 7th win using that extra OOC game to play a Mercer equivalent.

Kentucky got theirs vs Eastern Kentucky
Texas A&M got theirs vs Nicholls
Missouri got theirs vs Missouri State

Ole Miss got 6 wins by virtue of that extra OOC game against Tennessee-Martin

Point is, that extra garbage game makes teams look better than they really may be.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure many a SEC team picked up that 7th win using that extra OOC game to play a Mercer equivalent.

Point is, that extra garbage game makes teams look better than they really may be.

Like I said @trojanfan12 - this is the proof it's all about Alabama/SEC.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So does playing Rutgers, Kansas, and Oregon State. So what?

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go yell at the clouds.

Well since that's where your head always is, it makes sense. :10:

Now let's discuss the real topic, scheduling. It's a matter of math, and I give the SEC credit, they use the math to their supreme advantage.

In an 8 game schedule, the average will always be .500. So the SEC uses the 4 OOC games to pad the books. They hire virtually any school that can field a team and needs money to come play them, almost always at home. They play one "tough" game mainly because they kind of have to, there just aren't enough warm bodied suckers out there. So this is a lock that most SEC teams will have a winning OOC record. This pads the SOS stats, and makes most of the conference bowl eligible.

But when a conference does a 9 game schedule this means that the average of all of the schools will be 4.5 losses, not 4 as with an 8 game schedule.

And if the OOC schedule includes fewer FCS and lousy FBS schools, it means that there will be fewer home games and more losses. For example, the PAC 12's neighboring G5 conference, the MWC, is a lot better overall than the Sun Belt and C USA tend to be, year after year. Thus, more upsets and fewer conference teams with bowl eligible records, and hence a lower SOS rating for those conferences.

But I totally get why an SEC fan would suddenly become mathematically inept when discussing such things. They have sold their scheme to the powers that be, and why would they want to actually play fair?

GASP!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since that's where your head always is, it makes sense. :10:

Now let's discuss the real topic, scheduling. It's a matter of math, and I give the SEC credit, they use the math to their supreme advantage.

In an 8 game schedule, the average will always be .500. So the SEC uses the 4 OOC games to pad the books. They hire virtually any school that can field a team and needs money to come play them, almost always at home. They play one "tough" game mainly because they kind of have to, there just aren't enough warm bodied suckers out there. So this is a virtually lock that every SEC team will have a winning OOC record. This pads the SOS stats, and makes most of the conference bowl eligible.

But when a conference does a 9 game schedule this means that the average of all of the schools will be 4.5 losses, not 4 as with an 8 game schedule.

And if the OOC schedule includes fewer FCS and lousy FBS schools, it means that there will be fewer home games and more losses. For example, the PAC 12's neighboring G5 conference, the MWC, is a lot better overall than the Sun Belt and C USA tend to be, year after year. Thus, more upsets and fewer conference teams with bowl eligible records, and hence a lower SOS rating for those conferences.

But I totally get why an SEC fan would suddenly become mathematically inept when discussing such things. They have sold their scheme to the powers that be, and why would they want to actually play fair?

GASP!

You can't pad stats with legit SoS methods like that.

All you are doing is telling me you don't understand how the SoS method I listed works.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any SoS method that uses win% in any way shape or form is bad. It's to say every 7-5 team is equal, without regards to who those 7 wins and 5 losses come to. So while you may think the difference in conference win% is a big deal, the reality is that it's not.

What matters is the strength of the team, which you can find in what occurred during the game, not a tick in the win/loss column.
The SOS method you quoted uses win% BCF Toys - 2017 SOS Ratings

:dhd::dhd::dhd:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SOS method you quoted uses win% BCF Toys - 2017 SOS Ratings

:dhd::dhd::dhd:

No it doesn't.

It uses FEI ratings and then it calculates the # of losses an elite team would be expected to receive on their schedule. It goes into further detail and also calculates the number of expected losses for good and average teams on the schedule.

It's literally in the first 2 sentences of the explanation, and you couldn't pull that part off.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't.

It uses FEI ratings and then it calculates the # of losses an elite team would be expected to receive on their schedule. It goes into further detail and also calculates the number of expected losses for good and average teams on the schedule.
Ohhhhh, so it uses wins and loses instead :lol::lol::lol:

:lebowski2:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhhh, so it uses wins and loses instead :lol::lol::lol:

:lebowski2:

I take comfort in knowing the people who are so against the current things in college football are this stupid.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take comfort in knowing the people who are so against the current things in college football are this stupid.
I'm happy for you.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What they need to do it kick out Missouri and Vanderbilt, move to Auburn to the East. This will put the Auburn/Georgia rivalry in the same division and help balance the divisions too. Although I think the divisions will rebalance themselves over time, it just happens. The East was way better for a while about 10 years ago. Then keep an 8-game schedule but this way they can have a permanent crossover rivalry still and then play 2 other teams from the other division. Much better rotation this way and nobody will care about losing Missouri or Vanderbilt. Permanent crossover rivals could be:

Auburn vs Alabama
Florida vs LSU
Georgia vs Mississippi State
South Carolina vs Texas A&M
Kentucky vs Mississippi
Tennessee vs Arkansas

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't pad stats with legit SoS methods like that.

All you are doing is telling me you don't understand how the SoS method I listed works.
I love how you move from inept to complicated if it helps your argument. :bullshit:

My argument about ALL of the methods of calculating SOS stands, unchallenged by your arguments to the contrary. No matter what method used, it should only be used as a factor, not a sole determinate in rating teams.

But that exposes a more important point. FBS football is the only sport on Earth where such machinations shit like SOS ratings, power rankings, conference affiliation, OOC games, and the weekly top 25 are even necessary. In every other sport, if there is a national or international crown to be won, and multiple leagues or conferences that participate, EVERY conference, league or division winner gets a chance, ON THE FIELD OF PLAY!. So Boise State would not only get in, they could WIN the whole damn thing. It happens every year in every other NCAA sport, there is always an underdog or small conference school that makes the finals or semi-finals.

But FBS football uses the goofiest system ever invented, 10 conferences, 5 designed elite, 5 designated 2nd class, and they only allow 4 teams to play for it all, and this year two of them came from the SEC.

I have patiently tried to explain why these scheduling tricks should be exposed and addressed, because they really are used to cook the books and rig the system.

But here is the bottom line, @4down20. The system that exists is not fair to all participants. And the SEC along with the others who have the advantage have little desire to change it. Thus you use red herrings to distract the conversation from it's real purpose, how can the system be changed to make it better?
:dingdingding:

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only an SEC fan would pretend to think a 8 game conference schedule doesnt give the SEC a sort of advantage

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only an SEC fan would pretend to think a 8 game conference schedule doesnt give the SEC a sort of advantage

Auburn played the toughest schedule in the country this year.

If it's such an advantage, how is that possible? Pac12 and Big10 teams should be at the top of the SoS rankings, and you aren't.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not very difficult to understand. Draw a line down a sheet of paper, on one side write down the advantages to an 8 games schedule and on the other side write down the disadvantages. See which side as more.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it's such an advantage, how is that possible? Pac12 and Big10 teams should be at the top of the SoS rankings, and you aren't.

Those pesky facts always get in the way

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well mainly because you won't take off the pink earmuffs and listen to what we have to say?
:hmm:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how you move from inept to complicated if it helps your argument. :bullshit:

My argument about ALL of the methods of calculating SOS stands, unchallenged by your arguments to the contrary. No matter what method used, it should only be used as a factor, not a sole determinate in rating teams.

But that exposes a more important point. FBS football is the only sport on Earth where such machinations shit like SOS ratings, power rankings, conference affiliation, OOC games, and the weekly top 25 are even necessary. In every other sport, if there is a national or international crown to be won, and multiple leagues or conferences that participate, EVERY conference, league or division winner gets a chance, ON THE FIELD OF PLAY!. So Boise State would not only get in, they could WIN the whole damn thing. It happens every year in every other NCAA sport, there is always an underdog or small conference school that makes the finals or semi-finals.

But FBS football uses the goofiest system ever invented, 10 conferences, 5 designed elite, 5 designated 2nd class, and they only allow 4 teams to play for it all, and this year two of them came from the SEC.

I have patiently tried to explain why these scheduling tricks should be exposed and addressed, because they really are used to cook the books and rig the system.

But here is the bottom line, @4down20. The system that exists is not fair to all participants. And the SEC along with the others who have the advantage have little desire to change it. Thus you use red herrings to distract the conversation from it's real purpose, how can the system be changed to make it better?
:dingdingding:

So because some SoS methods are shitty, all SoS methods are shitty?

Or are you trying to say all SoS methods are equal and should be treated as such because you don't understand them all equally?

Well I'm not stupid when it comes to SoS methods. I've done my own, I know what to look for. Deal with it.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone in the SEC basically picks up an extra win

Because you know damn well they arent using that 4th OOC game to schedule anyone worth a damn.

This basically bumps up the whole SEC +1 in the win column

and you bozos wanna act like this is no big deal and no advantage.