• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Cavs Trade Wiggins for Love?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep it's been reported Minny already turned that offer down.

Cavs are going to get raked over the coals if they continue down this path. They are better off just waiting it out.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a good offer. In fact, it's crap. They'd have to throw in a lot of cash or other players. Wiggins in terms of trade dollars is worth 0, so salaries have to match......Bennett I don't think makes anything in the ballpark of Love

Well until he signs, you're right he isn't worth anything. It is all potential, but has a lot of it.

They will most likely have to add another player

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep it's been reported Minny already turned that offer down.

Cavs are going to get raked over the coals if they continue down this path. They are better off just waiting it out.

They turned it down, bc they are trying to get GSW and Cavs to battle it out to get more assets. I expect a better offer, but if GSW ends up not wanting to do it, they won't have an option.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you would, but pretty sure they won't.

I do think eventually they up the offer and get him, because I actually believe that the Warriors feel their chances are as good or better to win with Klay vs Love.

Go through the West team by team...then look 2 years into the future for the top 8.
There's a strong chance that most of those teams will be worse, and others about the same.
Warriors future is looking very bright IMO.

I think they need to keep Klay. IMO

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the #1 pick, I believe Wiggins salary starts at around $4.5mil. He does count for something as well as any future #1 picks.

He's unsigned, he counts as a big fat Zero towards making the contracts match.

If they sign him, they can't trade him for a month.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they sign Wiggins, the Cavs can give up less, if they don't they have to add another player.

They can't trade him for a month if they sign him.

That's why they haven't.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a trade, he counts for ZERO dollars.

Just looked it up on Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ page. Yup, ZERO dollars (Question #87). He does have a rookie scale cap hold that currently counts against Cleveland even though he's unsigned. That was the source of my confusion.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's true. He has a financial value.

It's true.

This latest twist in the ongoing saga came less than 24 hours after reports that the Cleveland Cavaliers are now willing to include top draft pick Andrew Wiggins in their offer to the Wolves for Love. Wiggins would probably be part of a package that also included 2013 #1 pick Anthony Bennett, Brendan Haywood, and a first round draft pick. But salary-wise, that package doesn't work - with Wiggins still an unsigned draft selection, his rights aren't attached to any salary.

Wiggins — a 6-8 swingman from Canada who played one season at Kansas — is playing for the Cavaliers in the Las Vegas summer league. He is doing so without a rookie contract, either because Cleveland is waiting to make its final roster moves under its stretched salary cap before it signs him, or because it can’t trade him for 30 days after he signs that contract.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Part of the article

Two years from now, when James becomes an unrestricted free agent again, he’ll be able to reap the financial rewards of signing after the NBA’s new television deals are cut. If the money paid by ESPN, Turner Sports and Fox Sports (yes, they NBA could have three TV partners instead of the current two, following the trail blazed by the NFL) is double what is being paid under the current deal, the salary cap will rise accordingly.

If, for argument’s sake, if the salary cap rises to $100 million, James would be eligible for a new contract with a maximum salary of 35 percent of the cap. With 7.5 percent annual raises, James would be eligible for a new five-year contract with salaries of $35 million in Year 1, then $37,626,000, $40,250,000, $42,875,000, $47,550,000.

That adds up to $201.5 million.

Or, he could keep doing two-year contracts with one-year opt outs. That would imperil his ability to lock up a nine-figure deal, but it would keep his empowerment structure in place.

Then here's Sheridan's Imaginary conversation between LeBron and Dan Gilbert:

LBJ: “I want Kevin Love.”
DG: “We can’t get him, because the Timberwolves want Andrew Wiggins.”
LBJ: “Then give them Wiggins.”
DG: “But Wiggins is 19 and could become the best player in the league down the road.”
LBJ: “When exactly?”
DG: “It might only take four or five years.”
LBJ: “You don’t have four or five years. If you don’t make this trade, I’ll walk next summer. The Knicks and Lakers will both have enough cap space for a max contract. You want me to walk?”
DG: “No.”
LBJ: “Then make the damn trade.”

The Cavs could conceivably offer Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and three No. 1 draft picks in 2015 (their own, Memphis’ No. 1 and Miami’s No. 1) for Love.

Flip Saunders would be able to turn to his owner and his fan base and say he got five No. 1 picks, including the top overall picks from 2013 and 2014. Dan Gilbert could turn to his fan base and explain that he made a deal that will allow the Cavs to immediately compete for a title with a starting five of James, Love, Kyrie Irving, Anderson Varejao and Dion Waiters.

LeBron would be placated — and a placated King is a happy King.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't do that trade if I were Cleveland. You know Love is going to demand an opt clause either next year or the year after.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be stupid not to do it.
Keeping Wiggins gives them a bigger window to compete as a playoff team in, but getting Love gives them a 3 to 5 year window to compete for championships in. That 3 to 5 years of trying to win titles should be worth more than the 7 to 8 years of having Wiggins.

Lebron and Love are stat sheet beast, and while most would not agree it's not far fetched to say Love is a Top 5 in the NBA player right now. He's probably the best rebounder and scorer from the PF position in the game right now, and he is still young.

Even if Wiggins turns out to be the 2nd coming of MJ the trade is still 100% worth it for Cleveland if the pairing of Lebron and Love wins them a title.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be stupid not to do it.
Keeping Wiggins gives them a bigger window to compete as a playoff team in, but getting Love gives them a 3 to 5 year window to compete for championships in. That 3 to 5 years of trying to win titles should be worth more than the 7 to 8 years of having Wiggins.

Lebron and Love are stat sheet beast, and while most would not agree it's not far fetched to say Love is a Top 5 in the NBA player right now. He's probably the best rebounder and scorer from the PF position in the game right now, and he is still young.

Even if Wiggins turns out to be the 2nd coming of MJ the trade is still 100% worth it for Cleveland if the pairing of Lebron and Love wins them a title.

The problem isn't getting Love......the problem is what they'll have to give up to make the trade.

Salary match wise, they'll have to give up Bennett, Thompson and Waiters - there goes the bench. I don't think a team that features just 3 stars and waiver wire guys wins the east. And then there's the whole salary cap thing.......Love will want a max deal.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem isn't getting Love......the problem is what they'll have to give up to make the trade.

Salary match wise, they'll have to give up Bennett, Thompson and Waiters - there goes the bench. I don't think a team that features just 3 stars and waiver wire guys wins the east. And then there's the whole salary cap thing.......Love will want a max deal.

Im not sure you understand how the salary cap works... they will be able to easily resign him once they acquire him. Plus, the salary cap is going to take a huge leap forward in a few years, so signing him to a max deal NOW is actually getting incredible value when the cap increases. thats why lebron wanted a two year deal. The problem is acquiring him.

I agree about what they'll have to give up. But even if they gave up those three guys they'd have a VERY solid starting lineup, with 4 guys that can easily play 40 minutes if needed. They would certainly need to shore up in some areas though.

Kyrie
Wiggins
LeBron
Love
Varejao

You'd still have Miller and James Jones off the bench for shooting. Maybe a few guys come play for cheap or get waived midseason at the deadline. The heat won the east their first year with one of the worst benches in NBA history IMO.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggins for Love...tough call. Wiggins very well could be a top 5 player in the league in only a couple years and he's just 19. Love is one of the best players in the NBA right now though, so I'd make the move if I was the Cavs. If you bring Love in...you're instantly a title contender.