• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hendrickson requests trade

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is still in his prime at 29, but those expensive extension demands probably push that trade value down. Without those demands, they could've dealt him for a better return IMO.
They have him for 2 years (this and next). That was on the extension he just signed last year.

Sorry - you don't get an extension and then turn around and complain about the previous extension and ask for 2-3 more years and a shit-ton more money. He, and his agent, should have negotiated much better last year.

I'm all for guys going and getting what's theirs, but when the time comes and they whiff - that's not the teams' fault. Seems like he should be looking harder at his agent than the Bengals for the extension he signed.

As it stands - Bengals are not trading him regardless. It's just not the Bengals MO. Bates, Williams, Higgins...all tagged, all demanded a trade - all played. Hendrickson has little leverage with 2 years still on his deal. Unless he plans to retire or sit out half of this season and next...he's got nothing.

In all honesty - he should fire his agent.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have him for 2 years (this and next). That was on the extension he just signed last year.

Sorry - you don't get an extension and then turn around and complain about the previous extension and ask for 2-3 more years and a shit-ton more money. He, and his agent, should have negotiated much better last year.

I'm all for guys going and getting what's theirs, but when the time comes and they whiff - that's not the teams' fault. Seems like he should be looking harder at his agent than the Bengals for the extension he signed.

As it stands - Bengals are not trading him regardless. It's just not the Bengals MO. Bates, Williams, Higgins...all tagged, all demanded a trade - all played. Hendrickson has little leverage with 2 years still on his deal. Unless he plans to retire or sit out half of this season and next...he's got nothing.

In all honesty - he should fire his agent.

No, I agree. I'm just saying he would be easier to trade without his trade demands (if that was what the Bengals decided to do).

Maybe they smooth this over with another 1 year extension for a modest raise? Depends on how butthurt he is I guess lol.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I agree. I'm just saying he would be easier to trade without his trade demands (if that was what the Bengals decided to do).

Maybe they smooth this over with another 1 year extension for a modest raise? Depends on how butthurt he is I guess lol.
The thing is, it doesn't hurt his value with other teams at all. Just because he wants out doesn't mean the Bengals have to let him with two years left as "The Cincy's" said throughout this thread. So if the Bengals decided to entertain it, they have all the leverage, Hendrickson and other teams do not. Cincinnati owns his rights, and if he wants out and the other team wants him, they will have to ante up.

Regardless, as has been pointed out in this thread, he ain't going anywhere. Hopefully he is producing at an astronomical rate at the end of this contract and some team will give him a short term ridiculous annual salary. Time to bet on himself for the future I guess.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, it doesn't hurt his value with other teams at all. Just because he wants out doesn't mean the Bengals have to let him with two years left as "The Cincy's" said throughout this thread. So if the Bengals decided to entertain it, they have all the leverage, Hendrickson and other teams do not. Cincinnati owns his rights, and if he wants out and the other team wants him, they will have to ante up.

Regardless, as has been pointed out in this thread, he ain't going anywhere. Hopefully he is producing at an astronomical rate at the end of this contract and some team will give him a short term ridiculous annual salary. Time to bet on himself for the future I guess.

Teams will have a threshold in terms of what they will offer for him in trade though, and the cost to extend him will impact that.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea. he'll either play his contract out or he'll walk.

the Bengals are pretty much strapped, they gotta pay Joey B. everyone else is just a luxury.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea. he'll either play his contract out or he'll walk.

the Bengals are pretty much strapped, they gotta pay Joey B. everyone else is just a luxury.
I don't buy this - the cap is a fictional number and there are a TON of ways to get around and pay guys.

The reality is - Trey JUST got an extension last year...and has another year left on his deal.

If he didn't like the deal last year, he shouldn't have signed. Then at least if he threatened to sit out, or whatever, it would have some leverage with him looking at being a F/A next year (though they could tag him).

Instead - he made a rush move, with his agent, and has essentially backed himself into a corner. He either has to sit out 2 years, or play out the string. At the very worst, he should have played this year quietly and then go back to the board with 1 year left...

Honestly - he should fire his agent.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy this - the cap is a fictional number and there are a TON of ways to get around and pay guys.

The reality is - Trey JUST got an extension last year...and has another year left on his deal.

If he didn't like the deal last year, he shouldn't have signed. Then at least if he threatened to sit out, or whatever, it would have some leverage with him looking at being a F/A next year (though they could tag him).

Instead - he made a rush move, with his agent, and has essentially backed himself into a corner. He either has to sit out 2 years, or play out the string. At the very worst, he should have played this year quietly and then go back to the board with 1 year left...

Honestly - he should fire his agent.

he had a good year, I mean, he can always ask. it doesn't mean he's really unhappy here.

the agent has his best interest in mind. if he has a down year, then his value goes down as well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had a good year, I mean, he can always ask. it doesn't mean he's really unhappy here.

the agent has his best interest in mind. if he has a down year, then his value goes down as well.
If you ask, that's one thing.

But then to publicly demand a trade and threaten retirement...that is taking it to a new level. I mean..good luck with that. You have 2 years left - you either want to play and get paid what you agreed to just a year before - or you are willing to walk away from it all. If he chooses the latter, good luck to him. Enjoy retirement - but coming back at 32/33 with 2 years off isn't going to garner him some huge contract...so he better really be ready to hang them up.

The entire approach was misguided - that's why I keep going back to the agent...dude should have advised him way better...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask, that's one thing.

But then to publicly demand a trade and threaten retirement...that is taking it to a new level. I mean..good luck with that. You have 2 years left - you either want to play and get paid what you agreed to just a year before - or you are willing to walk away from it all. If he chooses the latter, good luck to him. Enjoy retirement - but coming back at 32/33 with 2 years off isn't going to garner him some huge contract...so he better really be ready to hang them up.

The entire approach was misguided - that's why I keep going back to the agent...dude should have advised him way better...
yea. I'd call his bluff. he ain't retiring.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals are meeting with Hendrickson this week to discuss his contract.
Really not sure what will come of this. Trey is 29. He turns 30 in December. He'll be 31 at the end of his contract. Bengals are not, typically, one to extend into mid-30's.

Not sure what Trey is looking for - but if he's looking for 2-3 more years, I would be stunned if he got it. Bengals had a chance to do, basically, the same thing with Reader and let him walk. Hendrickson's injuries haven't been as deep as Readers, but he is constantly banged up and has missed time...

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not sure what will come of this. Trey is 29. He turns 30 in December. He'll be 31 at the end of his contract. Bengals are not, typically, one to extend into mid-30's.

Not sure what Trey is looking for - but if he's looking for 2-3 more years, I would be stunned if he got it. Bengals had a chance to do, basically, the same thing with Reader and let him walk. Hendrickson's injuries haven't been as deep as Readers, but he is constantly banged up and has missed time...

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
If this is really about guarantees, they could convert some salary into signing bonus and put a larger payout into this first season - They also have cap space they haven't used so they could eat some of that I suppose. Regardless, it can't be done before the last one was done for a year.

My concern is that he'll patch the deal again and then bring it up again next year. I'm not sure how to avoid it at this point if his goal is to generate guaranteed money. It's the Bengals that would be taking the risk that he'll pocket the money and then retire after this season or gripe again.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is really about guarantees, they could convert some salary into signing bonus and put a larger payout into this first season - They also have cap space they haven't used so they could eat some of that I suppose. Regardless, it can't be done before the last one was done for a year.

My concern is that he'll patch the deal again and then bring it up again next year. I'm not sure how to avoid it at this point if his goal is to generate guaranteed money. It's the Bengals that would be taking the risk that he'll pocket the money and then retire after this season or gripe again.
Yeah, I would consider moving some of the money to guaranteed. That being said...

The issue here, now, is if the Bengals do this - then other players see this as a way to get what they want. Threaten to quit/demand trade. I get this happens all the time, but if the Bengals were willing to work with Trey to start with - he should have went to them 1st. Maybe he did, and it didn't go anywhere. If that's the case...then, I don't see the Bengals changing their stance now that he's gone public.

I keep saying it - and I really think it's true - the Agent screwed the pooch on this one.