• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shit's getting real!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't make any sense to can D'Antoni now. With only 18 games left in the season, they might as well roll along then deal with the coaching decision this summer.

Looks like Phil is going to be running things in New York. Such a shame. It will be very interesting to see if he has as much success in the front office compared to the sidelines.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Buss will never allow Phil to be running the show in LA. He just does not like the guy and he's a dumbass for it. Phil will probably be signed by the end of next week. I suspect that one or more ex-Lakers players will be the new coaches come summer after Don'tknowi is dismissed.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I don't care if D'Antoni gets fired or not. I don't think he deserves to be, but I don't get to make that decision.

I will say that if the Lakers do fire him, they had better be smart enough to have the next guy locked up before they do it and it better be a name coach.

As bad as some of you think keeping D'Antoni would be, some drawn out search and having to settle for a 2nd or 3rd choice, would look far worse.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Kold suggests, defense is a real key. D'Antoni pays little attention to defense. He was the wrong choice to begin with.

But, I do agree that the Lakers need to hire a coach with a good, winning track record.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team really needs Kobe to;

A) retire

B) if he doesn't want to retire, accept the fact that he is way past game for the $ he gets. So, to help rebuild team, restructure contract so he can play another year or two for a few mil, and free up $ to bring in talent to rebuild.

Stop taken up all the cash space and begin to acknowledge that its done.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kobe is beginning to realize what you are suggesting psaboy especially in light of his latest injury is not healing as fast as he used to heal from injuries. Nash is pretty much done and Kobe won't be too far behind.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Kobe is allowed to restructure his contract. Part of the cba. It's a 2 year deal and leaves room for a max FA. So the contract isn't nearly as problematic as some make it out to be. The Lakers are highly unlikely to get a max FA from the upcoming class anyway.

Also, I'm not certain that we're being given "the whole truth and nothing but the truth" on Kobe's current injury. I think that if this team were somehow to be in playoff contention right now (like if they were in the East :lol: ) we would probably see Kobe playing.

However, given the current record, they are taking the smart approach in having him take the season off to let not only the most recent injury heal, but also some of those nagging injuries that he's been dealing with for years.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea TJF12. I get the two year deal with Kobe but I think he is beginning to consider that his days are truly numbered and he might get his 6th ring as a coach rather than a player. We shall see in the next couple of years.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea TJF12. I get the two year deal with Kobe but I think he is beginning to consider that his days are truly numbered and he might get his 6th ring as a coach rather than a player. We shall see in the next couple of years.

I think he's been looking at that for the past couple of seasons. I believe it was prior to last season that he admitted to not being sure how much he wants to do this anymore. He said it was the first time that he questioned whether or not he wanted to go through his off-season workouts again.

I do tend to agree that if he's going to get #6, it may well be as a coach. There are just too many things that would have to fall perfectly in place for him to win it as a player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take from Adrian Wojnarowski on the possibility of Phil taking over the Knicks front office:

Y! SPORTS

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's been looking at that for the past couple of seasons. I believe it was prior to last season that he admitted to not being sure how much he wants to do this anymore. He said it was the first time that he questioned whether or not he wanted to go through his off-season workouts again.

I do tend to agree that if he's going to get #6, it may well be as a coach. There are just too many things that would have to fall perfectly in place for him to win it as a player.

He may have retired after last season if not for the achilles injury. He found new motivation post-injury.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may have retired after last season if not for the achilles injury. He found new motivation post-injury.

:agree: That and not winning #6. I think that had they won it last year, he may well have decided to leave while still on top ala MJ.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kobe as coach, or even mentor, would win another ring!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Phil is headed out the door, I think Kobe is going to force short Buss's hand and either ship Kobe out the door or Don'tknowi. I think there are plenty of coaches who could take this roster and win with it. If Kobe goes, Pau will soon follow.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is not going to go. For starters he just signed a new contract - one which no other team in the league would come even close to paying him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is not going to go. For starters he just signed a new contract - one which no other team in the league would come even close to paying him.

Yeah, that contract takes away any "trade me" demands. About the only card he could play is "I'll retire". As for him not wanting to play for D'Antoni, I'm not buying it. I never believe "unnamed sources".

As for firing D'Antoni, I'm at the point where I no longer care. I don't think they should because I don't believe he's had a fair shot. But, as I've said, if they do, they had better have the next coach locked up before they pull the trigger.

The main reason the D'Antoni hiring was such a mess was because they didn't have the next coach locked up when they fired Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, that is what they said back when Kobe demanded to be traded. In all likelihood Kobe won't go, but after watching pro sports for 50+ years, anything is possible Shaqdaddy and TJF12.