• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Self Righteous SEC Network Commercial

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would those conferences be upset? They have, or will have, their share of the conference network. It may not be as big as the SEC Network (or, in the case of the B1G it might even be bigger), but they will each be making as much or more than UT. And, they kept their conferences together.

You mentioned earlier that SEC fans wouldn't watch Vandy v. Kentucky. To the contrary, SEC fans are more likely to watch games involving other teams in their conference. It's the old "Team SEC" thing we catch shit about. But, as a UT fan that only cares for UT and not for anything else in the conference, I understand why this doesn't make sense to you.

Finally, you mention Vandy v. Ky as if that is the only level of game that will be shown. How about:

Arkansas @ Auburn
UCF @ Missouri
Kentucky @ Florida

and that's just through the first 3 weeks. There will be a dozen solid games that I and others will look forward to catching.

Well, you said Big 12 schools would be upset if they didn't make as much as the SEC. If the SEC is braking the bank like some predict, all the conferences should be upset, or is the big 12 the only conference upset in your scenerio? I already said i'll watch the big 12 games on fox, espn and abc just like i'll watch other games. As for your slate of games on the SEC network, again you missed the point. You have to share your network with 13 other teams, have fun finding the hour and a half dedicated to UGA daily.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would those conferences be upset? They have, or will have, their share of the conference network. It may not be as big as the SEC Network (or, in the case of the B1G it might even be bigger), but they will each be making as much or more than UT. And, they kept their conferences together.

You mentioned earlier that SEC fans wouldn't watch Vandy v. Kentucky. To the contrary, SEC fans are more likely to watch games involving other teams in their conference. It's the old "Team SEC" thing we catch shit about. But, as a UT fan that only cares for UT and not for anything else in the conference, I understand why this doesn't make sense to you.

Finally, you mention Vandy v. Ky as if that is the only level of game that will be shown. How about:

Arkansas @ Auburn
UCF @ Missouri
Kentucky @ Florida

and that's just through the first 3 weeks. There will be a dozen solid games that I and others will look forward to catching.

I agree with that. I'll sit down and watch a Northwestern - Minnesota game before I'll tune into a random Texas Tech - Iowa St game. I think most fans are more interested in what their conference foes are up to than most other games outside of primetime OOC matchups.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you said Big 12 schools would be upset if they didn't make as much as the SEC. If the SEC is braking the bank like some predict, all the conferences should be upset, or is the big 12 the only conference upset in your scenerio? I already said i'll watch the big 12 games on fox, espn and abc just like i'll watch other games. As for your slate of games on the SEC network, again you missed the point. You have to share your network with 13 other teams, have fun finding the hour and a half dedicated to UGA daily.

- The Big12 doesn't have a Network - the SEC, B1G, PAC, and ACC (soon) do. As I understand it, the BigXII doesn't have one because of the UTN. So, yes, the BigXII schools will be upset, while the others won't as they have their own network. Now, they might be envious of the SEC share, but at least the have a network and are making some money off it. As one of the other posters pointed out, when Vandy's cut of the SECN is bigger than UT's income off their network, the BigXII teams are going to be paying attention.

- Your watching the BigXII games on network TV <> watching all the SEC coverage on the SECN. Not even close.

- I haven't missed any points you've tried to make. I will enjoy watching the other SEC team programming. I am an alumni of UGa and Vandy, father went to UF, and I have tons of friends that went to all the SEC schools. I am a SEC fan. I will enjoy watching the SEC programming, not just the UGa programming. As I said before, I don't expect a UT fan like you to understand that ... as I understand it, you broke up a conference due to your greed and arrogance ... why would you give a shit about what others in your conference do?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the Big 12 teams get upset for not making as much as the SEC, does this mean the ACC, Big ten, and PAC 12 teams are all going to create a sh## storm? AS of now the Big 12 teams love the set up, get your own tier 3 deal that focuses on your team, its great.

ACC is all ready working on a conference network because yes they see the potential.

Big 10 and PAC both are licking their chops because the SEC just reset the bar again so they are both looking at a substantial upgrade when their deals are up.

Big 12 ain't got nothing to look forward to and if you think the other schools are happy you are nuts.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- The Big12 doesn't have a Network - the SEC, B1G, PAC, and ACC (soon) do. As I understand it, the BigXII doesn't have one because of the UTN. So, yes, the BigXII schools will be upset, while the others won't as they have their own network. Now, they might be envious of the SEC share, but at least the have a network and are making some money off it. As one of the other posters pointed out, when Vandy's cut of the SECN is bigger than UT's income off their network, the BigXII teams are going to be paying attention.

- Your watching the BigXII games on network TV <> watching all the SEC coverage on the SECN. Not even close.

- I haven't missed any points you've tried to make. I will enjoy watching the other SEC team programming. I am an alumni of UGa and Vandy, father went to UF, and I have tons of friends that went to all the SEC schools. I am a SEC fan. I will enjoy watching the SEC programming, not just the UGa programming. As I said before, I don't expect a UT fan like you to understand that ... as I understand it, you broke up a conference due to your greed and arrogance ... why would you give a shit about what others in your conference do?

I guess you miss the point of the big 12 still making money off tier 3. Kansas and west virginia make a lot, Kstate has a digitial network, and Oklahoma is launching a network with fox i believe.

not sure what you're trying to say, i guess for you watching on a SEC network is more exciting for you than a regular network?

I forgot about "team SEC" you probably do root for your "rivals". And again, the big 12 isn't dead, and yes i care about what the other teams are doing, like I said i can see the better Big 12 games on regular tv.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you miss the point of the big 12 still making money off tier 3. Kansas and west virginia make a lot, Kstate has a digitial network, and Oklahoma is launching a network with fox i believe.

not sure what you're trying to say, i guess for you watching on a SEC network is more exciting for you than a regular network?

I forgot about "team SEC" you probably do root for your "rivals". And again, the big 12 isn't dead, and yes i care about what the other teams are doing, like I said i can see the better Big 12 games on regular tv.

Do they make as much as Texas? How about if Texas had gone in with the rest of the leage to make a Big12 network? Then they would have made more money.

Thats the point.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like good games and I'm glad there are so many football networks/channels now. Hell, I remember when I was growing up I'd hope Alabama would make the top25 in rankings just so I had a chance to watch some of the games on TV, outside getting whooped by top25 teams that brought the TV to the game.

I don't give a shit how much teams make.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anybody cares what channel their team is on, as long as they can watch it.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they make as much as Texas? How about if Texas had gone in with the rest of the leage to make a Big12 network? Then they would have made more money.

Thats the point.
He knows what the point is but is arguing the opposite because he has no other position unless he admits the LHN was a horrible idea and they have too much pride to do that.

Their life would be so much easier for them if they would just say "The LHN was a mistake and Texas should fold it into a Big 12 conference Network". But no they PRETEND like everything is fine and dandy and the other Big 12 members are perfectly happy.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHN in nebraska is a big seller, if these msg boards are any indication.

It's not a "big seller" because it's a no seller. It's not available through Cox, Time Warner, Dish, or Direct TV. Not even in their most expensive sports packages.

You can't even get it online through those providers. They're not going to make something available that they'll lose their ass on.

The BYU Network is even available in my package that offers the PAC and SEC Networks, the LHN is not. It's the same package that offers ESPNU, ESPN Classic, and ESPN News. What does that tell you?

The answer is...Nobody fucking wants or cares about it.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You keep saying I am missing points that I am not missing. I'll type slower, see if that helps.

As to tier 3, compare what those schools are making for their tier 3 against what the Vandys of the SEC are making. I'm guessing it won't be pretty. And, this is in year 1 for SEC. Not likely the individual school's tier 3 are going to grow (excepting OU perhaps).

As to content, at least for me, being able to watch a wide variety of SEC sports programming is better than just getting tier 3 of either UGa or Vandy. As you keep saying, I am going to get all the football on TV. But, now I am going to get some UGa and Vandy hoops which I don't get where I live in NC. I will also get baseball and a variety of other programming you can't get without a conference network. So, your point regarding the fact that you get to watch other football on the main networks doesn't address the greater programming advantage. So, no, watching the SECN isn't more exciting than watching main networks, but I get to do both, and you don't. I get to watch the same networks you get to watch, and then have all the SEC programming.

No one said the BigXII is dead. But, what is undeniable is that they are going to get left behind financially as the conference networks start generating lots of money. Also, I think it is fairly undisputed that the UTN was the cause of the break up of what was a greater and better BigXII.

I don't think I am the only one who likes conference programming. The B1GN is doing very well.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is where you are way out in the weeds.

Who outside of their own fan base wants to watch their networks.

Their market is extremely limited to mainly their own states.

The PAC 12, SEC, Big 10, and soon to be ACC Networks are available as a basic cable channel in their multiple respective states.
They are available 'nationwide' for anyone who goes up a tier that includes ESPNU, ESPN Classic, etc..(i.e. the next tier up).

The only reason BYU Network gets in there is because of the Mormon religion affiliation (90% of their programing). They would not be in there for BYU sports alone.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously

How can you compare a Kansas St Network (which will only be available to Kansas peeps) to this
TV Schedule & Shows « Big Ten Network programming which is bundled to everyone in a Big 10 state through their BASIC cable subscriptions, and available NATIONWIDE for someone who adds ESPNU.

Nobody outside of Kansas is going to bundle a Kansas St Network in their Basic cable packages. Nor will they bundle it with their ESPNU packages. It's just not going to happen. It would be a money loser. Try raising everyone in Ohio's cable bill $1 a month to add the Kansas St Network to their line-up.
All hell would break loose.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no talking with some folks. Their mind is set and there is no changing it....

SMH

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What people need to realize is, athletic networks such as B10, P12, LHN, NFL, etc., are niche networks. It's kind of like going to a magazine section in a big bookstore, look at all the different mags, all niche publications.

I'm all for all of these networks, the more the merrier. Don't see what the issue is here; all the SEC'rs are ecstatic for this, and other CFB fans will watch some too. When you SEC'rs do get the network, and watch it for a year, you'll see that it will be good, but it's going to be almost impossible to reach the high expectations people have now. I went through a similar thing with LHN (of course though, I couldn't get it for the first year or so...) and I love it now. Not for the games, but for the other stuff it brings. I don't expect anyone else who's a fan of another team would watch it at all- it's for Longhorn fans only. And for that, it does a great job. Do I wish the conference had made it's own network instead, well maybe so. Do I wish the Ags and Horns could have made their own network together, maybe so as well. But some of those networks, like B10, NFL and LHN were breaking new ground, and they paid for it to a certain extent. The SEC network has and will benefit from those others' experience in this process.

The high expectations come from the actual games that will be on the SEC network. Believe there is only one game that would fall into 'big game status' from a network exec's point of view, first game between Ags and Cocks. And it is on a non-traditional gameday, I believe. The rest of the games will be those really only of interest to the schools involved, e.g. LSU vs Sam Houston State, etc.

To expect say, 25 games on CBS (which has been basically the SEC network, with top pick on weekly games) to be worth less than 25 games on the SEC network, is just not going to be correct, financially or competitively. But that is okay, for the fans of those teams, which is just like the satisfaction gained by LHN for it's fans.

It will be a network where fans will enjoy watching old, historically good games, basketball and baseball, plus 30for30/SEC storied type programs. It's all good for sports fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really got worked up about this:

You need to get a life.

Eh I actually kind of like it. Its loads better than the dumb ass B10 commercial with the coaches talking about why you should come to their schools. Culminating with JoePa having a near aneurysm as he screeches " Come to Penn State!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this one....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfLYO3F4D78]Recruiting - YouTube[/ame]

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't mind the commercials, at least it's football

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What people need to realize is, athletic networks such as B10, P12, LHN, NFL, etc., are niche networks. It's kind of like going to a magazine section in a big bookstore, look at all the different mags, all niche publications.

I'm all for all of these networks, the more the merrier. Don't see what the issue is here; all the SEC'rs are ecstatic for this, and other CFB fans will watch some too. When you SEC'rs do get the network, and watch it for a year, you'll see that it will be good, but it's going to be almost impossible to reach the high expectations people have now. I went through a similar thing with LHN (of course though, I couldn't get it for the first year or so...) and I love it now. Not for the games, but for the other stuff it brings. I don't expect anyone else who's a fan of another team would watch it at all- it's for Longhorn fans only. And for that, it does a great job. Do I wish the conference had made it's own network instead, well maybe so. Do I wish the Ags and Horns could have made their own network together, maybe so as well. But some of those networks, like B10, NFL and LHN were breaking new ground, and they paid for it to a certain extent. The SEC network has and will benefit from those others' experience in this process.

The high expectations come from the actual games that will be on the SEC network. Believe there is only one game that would fall into 'big game status' from a network exec's point of view, first game between Ags and Cocks. And it is on a non-traditional gameday, I believe. The rest of the games will be those really only of interest to the schools involved, e.g. LSU vs Sam Houston State, etc.

To expect say, 25 games on CBS (which has been basically the SEC network, with top pick on weekly games) to be worth less than 25 games on the SEC network, is just not going to be correct, financially or competitively. But that is okay, for the fans of those teams, which is just like the satisfaction gained by LHN for it's fans.

It will be a network where fans will enjoy watching old, historically good games, basketball and baseball, plus 30for30/SEC storied type programs. It's all good for sports fans.
As they say...you don't know what you don't know.

I have heard they will have 45 CFB games...much more than the LHN 2 games...

And they will have more of the "other" games...50+ MBB games, 40+ WBB games, x number of CBB and WSB games.

While the LHN shows all things Rusty Cow....the SEC will have more interest as it will show all things SEC

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As they say...you don't know what you don't know.

I have heard they will have 45 CFB games...much more than the LHN 2 games...

And they will have more of the "other" games...50+ MBB games, 40+ WBB games, x number of CBB and WSB games.

While the LHN shows all things Rusty Cow....the SEC will have more interest as it will show all things SEC

Well my points were rambling, so I'll agree there. But the point on the games (used 25 as a whatever number, so it's 45) was comparing the value of what's on CBS and what is on SEC. Are the 45 games on the SEC going to be better than those on CBS? That is, what does the conference get for those on CBS versus those on the SEC network? Because those on CBS are the top games, so they should pay more.

That's what I was trying to get across, not well as I can see. You may be the expert here, so go for it. I was just offering what I had read elsewhere.

Plus, the point that LHN and SEC, PAC12 and B1G are niche networks, LHN more so, but still it applies to all.