• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bama's dominance may take a hiatus this season

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even before the injuries started piling up, I had a gnawing feeling that Alabama's unprecedented 5-year playoff run might be coming to a close this season. The reasons are listed below.

1. Alabama has had to replace several experienced members of its defense for multiple seasons in a row, due to both graduating seniors and early NFL departees. I know the Tide has weathered this phenomena for quite a while, but it really showed last year when the defensive points per game ballooned from 11.9 to 18.1. They lost even more experienced players following the 2018 season.

2. Assistant coaching turnovers. This is another area where the Tide has been efficient in rolling along; but after 13 departures in two years, the lack of continuity is bound to start showing an effect. The offensive staff last year helped the team improve from 37.1 points and 444 yards per game to 45.6 points and 522 ypg. All the major coaching contributors are gone from that staff, and I don't believe that Steve Sarkisian's crew can match that output.

3. Relative health & readiness of returning personnel. It's good to have Tua Tagovailoa back at QB, but we don't know yet if he is fully recovered - both physically and mentally - from the injuries he sustained last year. Will he be as mobile as he once was, and be able to plant his foot and make the kinds of throws he has in the past? Will pain or fear of pain be a factor in his performance? Will the absence of Jalen Hurts to push him to excel at the QB position be a detrimental factor?

4. Lack of depth at many key positions. We had two very capable quarterbacks last year. This time there is no proven back-up should Tua get hurt. Mack Jones played mostly in mop-up situations & only completed 38.5% of the 13 passes he attempted. Taulia Tagovailoa & Paul Tyson are both freshmen. Are any of those guys ready to step forward if needed?

Running back is another area with a lack of depth. We had three guys last year that could have started at most other SEC schools, plus a 4th guy that progressed quite a bit as the season wore on. Two of the top three are in the NFL now, and the other two are suspended for the first half of the season opener. There's no proven depth behind them.

The offensive line is in rebuilding mode, and the defensive line and linebacking corps are thin on overall experience. At least two defensive starters may miss the entire season due to injuries, with two freshmen starting in their place.

The best news is that practically our entire receiving corps is back. We also have an experienced secondary, although they gave up a lot of big plays during the last few games of the season last year.

5. Special teams continues to be a weak point, but may be getting a shot in the arm if true freshman Will Reichard lives up to his performance from his kicking days in high school. Maybe Skyler DeLong can improve on his 34.4 yards per punt average. Kick coverage is usually pretty tight, and there are break-away threats in the return game.

6. Injuries. There seems to be more players than usual on the moderate-to-severely injured list heading into this weekend's opener. At least two players - maybe more - are thought to be lost for the season. Several more could miss from one to four games, and a few others are in the may play if they don't get re-injured category. Most of these are lower leg injuries. Two are bad knee injuries. Makes me wonder if there is something amiss with the training staff?

With the internal stuff out of the way, we now turn to the opponents. Teams most likely to have a chance at beating the Crimson Tide are Auburn on the road on Nov. 30th, and Georgia in a potential SEC Championship Game rematch a week later. With a few bad breaks, the Tide could also be in for a hard time at Texas A&M on Oct. 12th or at home against LSU on Nov. 9th.

If the combination of lack of depth and experience doesn't derail the Tide somewhere during the season, then they may well be on their way to a sixth straight playoff appearance. But, even if they don't get there this year, I expect them to be back in 2020.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't you do this whiny bitch shit last year too? Maybe you should change your avatar to have LSU or Clemson first.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a bunch of excuse making.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama fans are just making excuse after excuse on why this isn’t their year and they haven’t even played a game yet.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a bunch of excuse making.

I get that people are upset that we have lost our Consensus All-American MLB 2 days before the season....but 130 other FBS teams don't have a Consensus All-American MLB either...and at least 3 of them are going to make the playoffs. We've got a cake schedule for 5 or 6 weeks, by that time, we will have at least two experienced players at MLB.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama fans are just making excuse after excuse on why this isn’t their year and they haven’t even played a game yet.

If you have avatars for Bama, LSU and Clemson you have a thin claim to being a Bama fan to me, but hey, to each his own.

I liked our chances with Dylan, I like them less without him, but I'd still put them of ahead of anybody else.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even before the injuries started piling up, I had a gnawing feeling that Alabama's unprecedented 5-year playoff run might be coming to a close this season. The reasons are listed below.

1. Alabama has had to replace several experienced members of its defense for multiple seasons in a row, due to both graduating seniors and early NFL departees. I know the Tide has weathered this phenomena for quite a while, but it really showed last year when the defensive points per game ballooned from 11.9 to 18.1. They lost even more experienced players following the 2018 season.

2. Assistant coaching turnovers. This is another area where the Tide has been efficient in rolling along; but after 13 departures in two years, the lack of continuity is bound to start showing an effect. The offensive staff last year helped the team improve from 37.1 points and 444 yards per game to 45.6 points and 522 ypg. All the major coaching contributors are gone from that staff, and I don't believe that Steve Sarkisian's crew can match that output.

3. Relative health & readiness of returning personnel. It's good to have Tua Tagovailoa back at QB, but we don't know yet if he is fully recovered - both physically and mentally - from the injuries he sustained last year. Will he be as mobile as he once was, and be able to plant his foot and make the kinds of throws he has in the past? Will pain or fear of pain be a factor in his performance? Will the absence of Jalen Hurts to push him to excel at the QB position be a detrimental factor?

4. Lack of depth at many key positions. We had two very capable quarterbacks last year. This time there is no proven back-up should Tua get hurt. Mack Jones played mostly in mop-up situations & only completed 38.5% of the 13 passes he attempted. Taulia Tagovailoa & Paul Tyson are both freshmen. Are any of those guys ready to step forward if needed?

Running back is another area with a lack of depth. We had three guys last year that could have started at most other SEC schools, plus a 4th guy that progressed quite a bit as the season wore on. Two of the top three are in the NFL now, and the other two are suspended for the first half of the season opener. There's no proven depth behind them.

The offensive line is in rebuilding mode, and the defensive line and linebacking corps are thin on overall experience. At least two defensive starters may miss the entire season due to injuries, with two freshmen starting in their place.

The best news is that practically our entire receiving corps is back. We also have an experienced secondary, although they gave up a lot of big plays during the last few games of the season last year.

5. Special teams continues to be a weak point, but may be getting a shot in the arm if true freshman Will Reichard lives up to his performance from his kicking days in high school. Maybe Skyler DeLong can improve on his 34.4 yards per punt average. Kick coverage is usually pretty tight, and there are break-away threats in the return game.

6. Injuries. There seems to be more players than usual on the moderate-to-severely injured list heading into this weekend's opener. At least two players - maybe more - are thought to be lost for the season. Several more could miss from one to four games, and a few others are in the may play if they don't get re-injured category. Most of these are lower leg injuries. Two are bad knee injuries. Makes me wonder if there is something amiss with the training staff?

With the internal stuff out of the way, we now turn to the opponents. Teams most likely to have a chance at beating the Crimson Tide are Auburn on the road on Nov. 30th, and Georgia in a potential SEC Championship Game rematch a week later. With a few bad breaks, the Tide could also be in for a hard time at Texas A&M on Oct. 12th or at home against LSU on Nov. 9th.

If the combination of lack of depth and experience doesn't derail the Tide somewhere during the season, then they may well be on their way to a sixth straight playoff appearance. But, even if they don't get there this year, I expect them to be back in 2020.
I feel really bad for you. Having to root for a likely very good, but possibly not great team.

How will you get through this season?

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@bamabear82 should put his foot up your ass

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, just once I'd love to see these doom and gloom posts by Bama fans actually play out.

"Oh noes, our 3rd string punter pulled a hamstring in practice, season is over"

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a lot of werdz to say they don't want to be there.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12-2 instead of 14-0?

source.gif

DayDrinkinginDurham

Healed Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never seen fans of such a dominant team do so much whinging. Like hell I'd sell my soul to get Duke a 10 win season but OP is wringing his heads over some turnovers and minor injuries.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fire Saban campaign is underway?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot of werdz to say they don't want to be there.
From what I read "worried about their draft status" is definitely off the bd.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I am not up on 'Bama's personnel issues but, it seems to me the rise of some programs has sucked a little air out of their recruiting.