• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bama's dominance may take a hiatus this season

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We here this all the time about how *insert SEC team* is going to be dangerous and it never pans out. Tennessee, Florida, And aTm most recently.
What teams in the SEC will be dangerous besides, Bama, Georgia and maybe LSU. Bama should be able to skate through the SEC this season.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally believe some of this is brought about by the new Playoff system. Kids want to win championships, they don't just want to be apart of a championship team, but play in the game and win it. In the past during the BCS era you only had a few teams at the top that remotely had a chance getting to the big game. With Saban's recruiting abilities and how good bama was getting, it was easy to say to kids, "do you want a ring, ill get you a ring" and with the past several years of being at the top it was easy to say yes just because they knew they could at least be apart of it.

Now, with the new system you have 4 teams that can get a shot of holding the title, and you are starting to see that allowing games to be played instead of voting them in (of course we still kinda do that) some teams are showing they have what it takes if given a chance to play. Now all of those players that may have had to sit 3 years on the bench waiting their turn are seeing other options to get to play right away and get a possible shot at the title.

I would imagine if the CFP was to add 4 more teams in you would see even more of a spread of talent going all over the place, of course you will still have some teams that seem to stay at the top for a good period of time, but you will also start seeing more schools being able to challenge them due to better recruiting. All in all, i think the last 4 years of the CFP are starting to show how it can start effecting recruiting for schools like Bama who would promise the ring and still can but its a lot harder to grab these days.

Talent is no more “dispersed” than during the BCS. The same handful of teams still
get the best players. Bama, tOSU, OU, Texas, Clemson, UGA, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, and a few others are going to score great classes. TAMU has moved in, FSU back, and USC still gets theirs more often than not.

People make note of the CFP “opening it up”, but 3 schools have won it. 10 title game appearances have been made by 5 schools. One school has made 4 in a row, and another 3 of the last 4. Outside of those teams, all but one else that made it lost by double-digits, and all but one of those by 20+. OU’s OT loss to UGA and 11-pt. loss to Bama were the exceptions, and OU is one of the elite group of programs.

I can’t say I see any broadening of the pool since the CFP started.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent is no more “dispersed” than during the BCS. The same handful of teams still
get the best players. Bama, tOSU, OU, Texas, Clemson, UGA, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, and a few others are going to score great classes. TAMU has moved in, FSU back, and USC still gets theirs more often than not.

People make note of the CFP “opening it up”, but 3 schools have won it. 10 title game appearances have been made by 5 schools. One school has made 4 in a row, and another 3 of the last 4. Outside of those teams, all but one else that made it lost by double-digits, and all but one of those by 20+. OU’s OT loss to UGA and 11-pt. loss to Bama were the exceptions, and OU is one of the elite group of programs.

I can’t say I see any broadening of the pool since the CFP started.
I agree. The only way a school outside that group you listed is going to be able to have the same talent as them on a regular basis is to flat out cheat in recruiting. I can't see a Minnesota or Indiana recruiting on the same level as Ohio State or Michigan without cheating. If a top notch recruit has a choice between Ohio State and Minnesota, I'd bet 9 out of 10 would choose Ohio State.

Same for Texas Tech or Oklahoma State recruiting on the level of a Texas or OU...tain't happening. Miss State or Missourit recruiting like Bama or Georgia, nope.

So the other schools need to cheat at recruiting. They ain't gonna be able to get it done on a regular basis without doing so. Maybe every now and then when the stars align properly.

JMO...the rest of you can throw rocks at it if you want to.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally believe some of this is brought about by the new Playoff system. Kids want to win championships, they don't just want to be apart of a championship team, but play in the game and win it. In the past during the BCS era you only had a few teams at the top that remotely had a chance getting to the big game. With Saban's recruiting abilities and how good bama was getting, it was easy to say to kids, "do you want a ring, ill get you a ring" and with the past several years of being at the top it was easy to say yes just because they knew they could at least be apart of it.

Now, with the new system you have 4 teams that can get a shot of holding the title, and you are starting to see that allowing games to be played instead of voting them in (of course we still kinda do that) some teams are showing they have what it takes if given a chance to play. Now all of those players that may have had to sit 3 years on the bench waiting their turn are seeing other options to get to play right away and get a possible shot at the title.

I would imagine if the CFP was to add 4 more teams in you would see even more of a spread of talent going all over the place, of course you will still have some teams that seem to stay at the top for a good period of time, but you will also start seeing more schools being able to challenge them due to better recruiting. All in all, i think the last 4 years of the CFP are starting to show how it can start effecting recruiting for schools like Bama who would promise the ring and still can but its a lot harder to grab these days.
Well said my friend....good to see you here again.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me go ahead and clear this up for you

Auburn - needed poor coaching on the other sideline just to beat Oregon, Bama will win easily. Actually, this is the type of Auburn team that worries me. They will gain confidence as the season progresses. I don't expect them to come close to beating LSU this season, but the Tigers could easily be 10-1 by the time they play Alabama. Depending on what LSU does against everybody else, an Auburn win in the Iron Bowl would send AU to the SEC CG.

Georgia- Georgia won't beat Alabama until Saban retires at this point Georgia keeps getting closer to pulling off a win against Alabama, but I worry more about Auburn getting the job done.

A&M - LOL Not too worried about the Aggies.

LSU - LSU's "new and improved" offense will wilt against Alabama as always For once, LSU seems to be playing hard-nosed football on both offense & defense. It will be interesting to watch the Texas game this weekend. I still see the Tide winning this match-up, but things might look a bit scarier down the road.

Not only will Alabama not miss the playoff, there's no one on their schedule that can beat them! I disagree. Alabama didn't impress me much against Duke.

Worst case is losing to their ex-QB and Oklahoma in the playoff and not making the natty as a result
Or, what if Bama & Oklahoma meet up in the Championship Game?

Who will beat Bama in the SEC, Georgia maybe, LSU could be, besides those two who really has a chance to win the SEC. IMO, you are trying to make excuses in advance. There are many college football programs that lose players through injuries, graduations and coaching turnover. I don't see anyone beating Bama this year, except maybe Georgia or LSU.
Not trying to make an excuse; just laying out my feelings & observations. Alabama could lose to LSU or Auburn, come out ahead in a 3-way tie for the West, then beat Georgia & make the playoffs - or, lose to Georgia and have to settle for a New Years Six non-playoff bowl game.