• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ New York Jets

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Falcons game is going to be intriguing... They've been lighting it up... Was surprised to see them light it up like they did against Carolina today...

On a happy note, glad to see the Panthers lose again with Cam "Me Myself and I" Newton sucking up the joint, again!
Falcons are going to be dangerous both by land and air. Thankfully their defense is lacking. Should really be interesting.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons are going to be dangerous both by land and air. Thankfully their defense is lacking. Should really be interesting.

Good thing we catch the Falcons on their back end of a two game road trip. They get Denver next week so we'll see how they do.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big win on the road heading into the bye week. Now Wilson can rest his legs for a week. He looked good despite his knee injury and I think it's evident that his chemistry with Graham is back in full force. It was good to see the defense get multiple turnovers too. Fitzpatrick gave up a bunch of interceptions last week and it would have been disappointing if the Hawks didn't get at least one this week. To get three was great. The Falcons look like they'll put up the biggest challenge for this defense in the early part of the season. A 500 yard game for Ryan and 300 of those yards to Jones? That was just a ridiculous game. Is the Panthers pass defense really that terrible without Norman?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came in late on this thread to post my thoughts on the Jets game. Our defense has looked GREAT so far this season I am not counting that fumble return for a TD the defense pretty much only gave up 1 TD the whole game on the road and that came from check downs to the RB and forcing the ball to Brandon Marshall AND even from that it costed the Jets 2 INTs from attacking sherman.

our offensive line has looked really good in that game the Jets Dline is very talented on paper it honestly looks like a mismatch but they held their own I think they only gave up 1 sack all game? With Ifedi back hopefully this will be a step in the right direction for them.

The bad

I am still concern about our run game ive said this last week that michaels is an avg back which isnt bad but also isnt great. He is a 3.5-4.0 YPC type of back that can occasionally make explosive plays. Lastly not that this is a concern but is there really any reason to have jermaine kearse on the team? we resigned him from free agency so he is getting paid descent money but I just do not see the production on the field maybe I am missing something.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for atlanta I think its really going to come down how our defense will match up with their offense and sherman playing julio (or Shead). I watch a lot of NFC South and East games living in FL and when I see atlanta ALL I SEE is Matt Ryan throwing the ball up to JJ for a big play when you slow down that connection the whole team seems to struggle it will be an interesting match up against the broncos.

The falcons defense is terrible so far this season the lowest offensive total they gave up was against 28 against oakland every team has been able to score 30+ points against them so our offense will definitely need to show up

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came in late on this thread to post my thoughts on the Jets game. Our defense has looked GREAT so far this season I am not counting that fumble return for a TD the defense pretty much only gave up 1 TD the whole game on the road and that came from check downs to the RB and forcing the ball to Brandon Marshall AND even from that it costed the Jets 2 INTs from attacking sherman.

our offensive line has looked really good in that game the Jets Dline is very talented on paper it honestly looks like a mismatch but they held their own I think they only gave up 1 sack all game? With Ifedi back hopefully this will be a step in the right direction for them.

The bad

I am still concern about our run game ive said this last week that michaels is an avg back which isnt bad but also isnt great. He is a 3.5-4.0 YPC type of back that can occasionally make explosive plays. Lastly not that this is a concern but is there really any reason to have jermaine kearse on the team? we resigned him from free agency so he is getting paid descent money but I just do not see the production on the field maybe I am missing something.

He's averaging 5.2 ypc for the season still... Hard to harp on him imo... JETs gave up 3.2 ypc coming into the game, CM averaging more than that today I think...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every good RBs average takes a hit if you remove their big plays.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Ever seen a one-legged man win a butt-kicking contest?

One New York journalist watched exactly that as Russell Wilson took an Exacto knife to the New York Jets defense during the Seahawks’ 27-17 victory on Sunday afternoon at MetLife Stadium.

Wilson had a perfect passer rating at halftime. He completed 11 straight passes during one stretch. He threw for more than 300 yards in a regular-season game for the sixth time in five NFL seasons.

All this from a guy playing through a pair of leg injuries that prompted Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News to write off the Seahawks before the game even began:

A one-legged Russell Wilson is as useful as a right-handed Jim Zorn, which basically means Pete Carroll’s offense is screwed if the Seahawks quarterback doesn’t magically heal in the next few days.”

Kudos for knowing that Zorn was left-handed. As for the rest of the critique, well, it was a bunch of recycled half-thoughts lifted from the 2013 edition of How to Troll the Seahawks Quarterback.

“He’s very good, not great,” wrote Mehta.

To be fair to this guy, there were plenty of people who thought exactly that. Two and a half years ago. Most of them have since wised up, but still there was a point when this actually passed for football analysis.

“Wilson is a nice second-tier quarterback with occasional improvisational superpowers,” Mehta continued.

Uh-oh. Looks like somebody must have skimped on his Sunday Ticket. Not sure how else you explain missing the 24 touchdown passes Wilson threw over the final seven regular-season games last season while being intercepted just once.

“He’s much closer to Batman than Superman,” Mehta concluded.

OK. Now the problem is clear. This is a guy who uses a point-by-point comparison between two comic-book superheroes who don’t actually, you know, EXIST to explain the limitations of Seattle’s quarterback.

“It’s ludicrous to think that he’ll be able to hobble into MetLife Stadium on a gimpy left knee and right ankle on Sunday and have his way with the Jets,” Mehta concluded.

Except that’s exactly what happened on Sunday.

As good as Seattle’s defense was against the Jets – and it was formidable – the Seahawks’ offense dictated the tempo and the trajectory of this game starting in the second quarter. Trailing 3-0, the Seahawks had their two longest drives of the season, moving the ball 92 yards for the first touchdown and followed that up with an 85-yard encore later in the same period.

Wilson was perfect on those drives. That’s not a metaphor, either. He completed all eight passes he attempted. That included an 8-yard pass to C.J. Spiller, who had been a Seahawks running back for all of about 5 minutes, as well as a completely uncovered Tanner McEvoy for a 42-yard touchdown.

Wilson completed the first three passes he attempted in the third quarter, running his string of consecutive completions to 11.

He finished the game with six completions of 20 yards or more. He threw three touchdown passes. He never came close to turning the ball over, and his worst play was a fourth-quarter sack he took on third down, forcing Steven Hauschka to make a field goal from 53 yards out instead of kicking it from 40.

When it was over, after Wilson had showered and dressed and was walking out of Seattle’s locker room, he saw his coach, Pete Carroll.

“Hey boss,” Wilson said, accepting a hug before continuing toward his post-game press conference.

“How about that guy, huh?” Carroll asked, motioning with his head toward Wilson.

It’s worth noting that Seattle’s coach was talking to a New York journalist at the time, but this was Bob Glauber of Newsday, not the guy who wrote Wilson off as being one-legged.

And if Wilson was able to do that one week after suffering a sprained left knee, imagine what he’ll be able to do after Seattle gets its bye in Week 5.

“I get two weeks?” Wilson asked with a smile. “That’s too much time.”

Given what a supposedly one-legged Wilson did to the Jets on Sunday, he might really be something when he gets healthy.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, we have another solid team who should jell as we go along.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured you would come in with this. Michael (he actually does not have an 's' at the end of his name, btw) had a decent game, ran hard, and got some tough yards against a top quality front 4. He finished with 90 yards from scrimmage and a TD. I'll take that nearly every time, especially if RW is tossing for 300+ and 3 TDs.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact we put that up against the Jets, who VERY closely mirror the Rams on defense anyway, is impressive. Also, across the Country, haven't won in almost 20 years at MetLife... big away stand. All of these are HUGE momentum bursts.
Sort of confused with that statement. We won SB48 there and shut out the Giants there 23-0 in 2013.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a good win. Based on his physical condition, I am not sure what else RW could have done. My only small gripe was the sack he took in the 4th qtr that nearly pushed us out of FG range, but Haush picked him up and nailed it. Maybe Russell briefly forgot he had 2 bad wheels when he tried that trademark whirl move deep in the pocket.

I think the D only gave up 70 yards in the 2nd half, including the 40 yard fumble recovery deal where they were caught not playing to the whistle. It was sort of a fluke type play, but a mental lapse nonetheless. They clamped on the run well and had an overall excellent game.

I thought C-Mike played pretty well against a tough front. His ypc wasn't great, but he was still a factor in the game and moved the chains pretty well most of the day. However far away he was before the game from securing the starting job the rest of the way, I think he's a bit closer to it today.

Looking forward to facing Atlanta in a couple weeks. They are lighting up the scoreboard lately, so we'll get a preview of what they can do vs a good D next weekend vs Broncos.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every good RBs average takes a hit if you remove their big plays.

this is true but also it's a solid way to track how consistent a RB is. It's the % of YPC drop that shows how reliant a RB is on Big plays. The larger the drop the less consistent a RB is and the smaller the drop the more consistent. This tactic of taking away 20+ yard runs is used in the NFL by scouts and coaches and they use it for a reason.

So in Short Yes it will lower every RB YPC and Yes it's a cool tactic to find consistency from the RB position. Marhsawn was the perfect measuring stick of this tactic. His YPC did not drop much at all and that was because he didn't have many 20+ yard runs over the course of a season. But when he did they were electric!

Going through a RB carries and removing the +20 yard runs is also fun as you can see how reliant he is to those runs, another thing to look at also and compare the % difference is Yards before contact paired with Yards after contact. Just something fun to do for stat heads and it really opens your eyes a little on the quality of the RB. This also helps you see the over all quality of the oline too.

Michael's is a starting quality RB playing behind a below average Oline which produces below average results. He is no star but he is starting Quality, I.E. he is average at best.

Last edited:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of confused with that statement. We won SB48 there and shut out the Giants there 23-0 in 2013.

We hadn't beaten the Jets in NY in 30 years. Though we hadn't played them in NY since 2004.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We hadn't beaten the Jets in NY in 30 years. Though we hadn't played them in NY since 2004.
Oh, specifically the Jets? Makes sense now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mmm, haven't beat the JETS at MetLife LOL. Sorry. Yes, well aware we roasted the Broncos there. Forgot about the Giants.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured you would come in with this. Michael (he actually does not have an 's' at the end of his name, btw) had a decent game, ran hard, and got some tough yards against a top quality front 4. He finished with 90 yards from scrimmage and a TD. I'll take that nearly every time, especially if RW is tossing for 300+ and 3 TDs.

Michael, michaels, C mike, CM, how a players name is spelled on a public blog means nothing. If RW is tossing for 300 yards and 3 TDs we really do not need to worry about the run game showing up to win the game BUT when the day comes when russ struggles in the passing game because our opponent game planned very well CM's 90 yards from scrimmage is no big deal, 58 yards of 18 carries is nothing, 5 receptions for 35 yards is nothing, catching a short pass when your 15 yards from the endzone and sprinting for the corner pylon is a solid play but nothing spectacular. The falcons game in two weeks might be a high scoring game if we cant control the clock RW will have to out sling Matt Ryan and Julio Jones