• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks and the free agent period

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's not over yet, but most of the big news is most likely over, so what do you think? I've seen folks say the Seahawks had a terrible off season so far. Lost a lot of players, some of them starters.

I feel it's a matter of perspective. Most of us knew players were going to leave, we could even name them for the most part. I was happy with who the Seahawks were able to hang on to.

When judging if this was a good off season I say that you have to ask the question...did they do the right moves? Was letting these players move on the best for the Seahawks? I would answer that with a Hell Yes! Let the Jerry Jones GMs of the NFL hold on too long to players and over pay them and end up in cap hell. The Seahawks are set up to resign the core players with room to spare.

I say it has been a great off season. What say you?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been fine with what they've done (or not done) so far and like you said, a lot of it was expected to happen. I think everyone knew that we weren't going to be able to keep everybody and that certain guys, even though they may have been starters, were going to get cut/restructured no matter what else happened. We even spent months talking about some of them. I trust that Schneider knows what he's doing and if he's letting guys leave without putting up much of a fight, there's a good reason for it. He has to prioritize if he's gonna be able to sign the guys we keep saying that he needs to re-sign.

I know we lost a lot of guys in a short amount of time, but we talked all year about how deep this roster is and it didn't get that way on accident. The holes that were left by the guys that we lost are going to be filled. They may not end up being filled by the established vets that some people thought they'd be filled by, but the draft is coming up in about 6 weeks and we all know that the draft is where Schneider shines. He'll take care of it. I'm not worried.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they did what the had to do. As much as I liked Clem and Red, they didn't justify the cap hit. I wish we could have signed them at the same price Jacksonville did (at least Clem).

It's hard not to be a little worried about losing starters. They were starters for a reason. Hopefully our backup players can step up and fill those shoes. I have to have faith in what PC/JS have done in the draft and through coaching the last 4 years, so I'm not worried by any means. Just curious.

I support all the decisions they've made this far though. I wouldn't change anything. It just sucks that sometimes you have to let good players go.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree I think they signed the one free agent the really wanted/needed which was Bennett. They arent willing to overpay because of the in house work they have to do. As long as Earl is locked up this offseason I think it will be a successful offseason.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already knew that we were going to lose players in FA this year. With the future required signings of our core players coming due I think that Seahawks have done a great job of not panicking, staying the course, and not overpaying for players.

The problem with free agency every year is that everyone freaks out if you don't make a bunch of big name signings immediately. If you wait until a month after the draft and then evaluate then you will have a much clearer picture. That is the time period that you can use to sign depth at lower prices and that is what the Seahawks need more than flashy contracts to big names at this point in time.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one am not going to miss the guys we lost and we kept the ones I would have missed (Bennett and Miller).

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JS is visionary and is thinking 2,3,4 years down the road.
This has been a methodical off season with a defined plan in effect.
I am now confident we will retain Sherm, ET, and RW.
The challenge will the Maxwells, Smiths, Wright's, and Wagners of our little world.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I worry about the Maxwells, Smiths, Wright's, and Wagners I am going to see how we draft and how last years class turns out.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only person Seattle needed to worry about in FA was Bennett. Literally, that's it.

McDonald sucks (to lose), but not worth $12M given situational play, and Hill/Scruggs are up and comers.

Bryant, good riddance. He lost a HUGE step last year and will be outclassed by Williams anyway.

Tate, good riddance. He's an arrogant little prick, but never gets separation, runs horrible routes, and requires playaction or screens to get a majority of his plays. Lions WAY overpaid. 5 years $20M would've been okay. Either way, he disappears too much in games to make me care about this loss.

Clemons, good riddance. Lost a step after his ACL and was a ghost most of last year. Out-classed by Bennett/Avril.

Giac, whatever. Mauler in the run and your nasty guy but a liability in the pass and penalty areas.

Thurmond, good riddance. Suspensions, injuries bleh. Guy has game at the NICKEL slot but not really anywhere else. He's a solid #2 but again, suspensions and injuries goodbye.

Who else am I missing? I'll address that person too. Seattle cut a bunch of fat this year and it was all aging/useless fat. Tate was the most productive person we lost but he's just as much of a liability as his productivity on the field. I was also just waiting for the moment he muffed a critical punt in one of those playoff games. Guy is way too cocky and doesn't always play smart football. At some point that will kill ya.

The only player we overpaid for is Hauschka..... but, as much as Seattle kicks field goals, I do like a guaranteed (basically) kicker. Signing kickers is never a flashy signing, but when they are missing field goals, you hate them. Also the fact that Hauschka is able to swallow his pride and tell Carroll, "This is a bad idea to kick this." is money. That's adding value right there, because now you are making smart special teams decisions, and your kicker is telling YOU what a bad decision is based on conditions. Little expensive, but worth the money. Would rather have Haushka over any one of the FAs listed above (that are now signed).

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we over paid for HauschMoney.
We were right in the running when Josh Brown signed with the Rams for 4/16 IIRC 5 or so years ago.
I am happy with the contract for Hauschka.