• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson minor rant thread

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Russell Wilson wants to be paid like he's a free agent - CBSSports.com

Like every hawk fan and even most NFL fans we all think that russell wilson is this great guy, model guy, carries himself well and there is no doubt that he is. But the more I read and hear about these contract talks rumors of him wanting 25mil per year etc if the numbers are off whats certainly true because where theres smoke there is fire he wants to get paid A LOT of money, highest in the league i wouldnt doubt.

With everything that is going on with dez bryant and thomas, bennett, etc asking for money im starting to feel that wilson is no different than any of these guys. dont get me wrong wilson isnt holding out of training camp and i think its mainly because he he doesnt want to ruin his good guy image. im starting to feel that deep down he is just another NFL player trying to get paid not that i blame him or anything. As much as we crack on kaepernick he did sign a team friendly contract to help bring in players to help the team. I think he uses good guy, god praising, the media loves me image to his advantage because any normal guy would be labeled as "selfish or greedy"

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Russell Wilson wants to be paid like he's a free agent - CBSSports.com

Like every hawk fan and even most NFL fans we all think that russell wilson is this great guy, model guy, carries himself well and there is no doubt that he is. But the more I read and hear about these contract talks rumors of him wanting 25mil per year etc if the numbers are off whats certainly true because where theres smoke there is fire he wants to get paid A LOT of money, highest in the league i wouldnt doubt.

With everything that is going on with dez bryant and thomas, bennett, etc asking for money im starting to feel that wilson is no different than any of these guys. dont get me wrong wilson isnt holding out of training camp and i think its mainly because he he doesnt want to ruin his good guy image. im starting to feel that deep down he is just another NFL player trying to get paid not that i blame him or anything. As much as we crack on kaepernick he did sign a team friendly contract to help bring in players to help the team. I think he uses good guy, god praising, the media loves me image to his advantage because any normal guy would be labeled as "selfish or greedy"

Bennett is in a completely different situation than Bryant or Thomas. Just because all of them are making headlines doesn't make them the same.

Any one who thinks that this is just SOOO out of character for Wilson simply took his kindness for weakness. Why should he devalue himself at this point in his career? It's easy to say we would do that from the sidelines, but the truth is, we would all squeeze every penny out of that first big contract.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest he has earned a huge raise and i think Wilson is very much Hands off on the whole thing and letting his Agent deal with it. He does seem different in his talks to the media and such though and it is noticeable. I also believe his agent is saying " listen we need you to get 25 mill because with in a year are two you could be the 5th highest paid QB at that rate. If you sign for 22.5 you could be the 10th highest paid QB or lower and you are better than that".

I think contract negs can get ugly and ruin a players image but thankfully we are not there yet with Wilson.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no doubt in my mind that we'll see 100% of what RW has to offer when he steps on the field, regardless of what happens with his extension. I'll leave it at that and let the business stuff happen. I'm not going to fret about it.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest he has earned a huge raise and i think Wilson is very much Hands off on the whole thing and letting his Agent deal with it. He does seem different in his talks to the media and such though and it is noticeable. I also believe his agent is saying " listen we need you to get 25 mill because with in a year are two you could be the 5th highest paid QB at that rate. If you sign for 22.5 you could be the 10th highest paid QB or lower and you are better than that".

I think contract negs can get ugly and ruin a players image but thankfully we are not there yet with Wilson.

I didnt even think about it that way that brings a new perspective inflation goes up like crazy especially for good QBs if mariota and winston turn out to be all pro players they will top wilson, rodgers, lucks contract when its time for them to get paid

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at the top contracts in the NFL. The difference from one guy to the next is typically a couple hundred grand. No way does Wilson beat Rodgers by 3 mil, and I don't think he expects to. 25 mil is just a nice, round number for them to stand firm on until the Hawks actually beat Rodgers number. If Wilson was to actually receive that much in order to keep him in the highest paid bracket for longer, it would create quite a slippery slope of players wanting to be the highest paid by a significant margin.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the top contracts in the NFL. The difference from one guy to the next is typically a couple hundred grand. No way does Wilson beat Rodgers by 3 mil, and I don't think he expects to. 25 mil is just a nice, round number for them to stand firm on until the Hawks actually beat Rodgers number. If Wilson was to actually receive that much in order to keep him in the highest paid bracket for longer, it would create quite a slippery slope of players wanting to be the highest paid by a significant margin.

?? your post makes it sound like i said he was going to get 25 mill. not once did i say that. I was just saying what Wilsons agent has most likely said lmao.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?? your post makes it sound like i said he was going to get 25 mill. not once did i say that. I was just saying what Wilsons agent has most likely said lmao.
I didn't take Sonnys post that way at all.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. Your post made it sound like it could be their actual strategy to get 25 mil in order to stay one of the highest paid players for longer, which would be very naive for several reasons.

One them being because that's not how markets work. Whether he gets 22.5 or 30, it won't really change where he is in regards to other QBs at that point, as those guys will be negotiating based off the mark he sets. The other reason being that you don't just jump the highest guy by such a significant amount in a cap league.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my post was saying that Russell's AGENT will try and stay firm on the 25 million mark, if it happens are not is up to Wilson if you ask me. If Seattle puts 23.8 million on the table i can see Wilson telling his Agent lets get this done and his agent saying no lets hold out for that 25 million mark and using next years possible signings of Luck for around 25 mill with Brees and Peyton Manning going into their final year of their deals so they could/should get raises or they become UFA at the end of 2016. This all works into the Agents hands to get Wilson 25 mill per season.

If Brees and Peyton both get new contracts in 2016 ( which they will unless one or both retire )do you think they will be paid less than Rogers? if you believe that you are crazy. In this next offseason i think Brees gets 25-26 million per, Peyton ( if he doesn't retire ) could see 25-26 mill per and then you got Luck who will want that type of money but might not get it. he would still most likely get 25 to 25.5 mill per. That will force Seattles hand and they might have to pay 25-26 mill per if they wait till next season to get it done. the FT for QB's will skyrocket in the coming years.

You do not want to FT Wilson in 2016 at 25-26 mill per because then he knows that if you FT him in 2017 he will be paid around 28-29 million and then holds that power to get a deal in the range of 27.5-28 mill per season. Believe it or not right now Wilson's agent has all the power. Playing for 1.5 mill this year could earn Wilson a base pay raise boost of 2.5 million per season or more over that 25 million mark. So i ask you, 25 million per year or 27-28 million per year with most likely much higher guaranteed money and base salary raises over the years? I say give him that 25 per and with in a year or two he will no longer have what people view as a bloated contract.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say give Wilson a contract that pays around 24.5 mill per year and 80 mill guaranteed over 5 years. That's a 122.5 mill contract and you can make it so the first year is 22.5 mill second year 24.5 mill 3rd year is 27 mill, here let me do it differently.

1. 22.5 mill
2. 24.5 mill
3. 27 mill
( that's 74 million ) of his guaranteed 80. That leaves the Hawks sitting pretty after the 3rd season to cut bait and only take a 6 million dollar hit. It also leaves only 48.5 mill to split over the final 2 season or 24.75 average per year when at that time QB's will most likely be in the 30 mill per year range and the salary cap will be close to 180 million. Now some of that could be in his bonus money so that could lower his yearly salary even more. I say get it done now and save 15-25 million over the life of the contract instead of waiting it out. When Brees/Luck/Peyton get theirs Rogers will be next and the money the Hawks could pay out to Wilson will be MUCH higher with less flexibility.

to do this the Hawks most likely lose Wagner ( ouch ) but they could sign Irvin and look for a stud LB in next years draft. They will or could use a 1st or 2nd on one as they will have their 1st or 2nd round picks ( unless they pull off another trade next season )

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is arrogant i bet,he plays the nice guy thing but often people that put on the persona like he does is not the real him imo.

The day he got here he started going to the kids cancer treatment thing,he displays Mr Clean always and his answers are always very vague and almost as Moffit stated "Robotic"

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is arrogant i bet,he plays the nice guy thing but often people that put on the persona like he does is not the real him imo.

The day he got here he started going to the kids cancer treatment thing,he displays Mr Clean always and his answers are always very vague and almost as Moffit stated "Robotic"
Wilson is sure of himself, loads of confidence, which is good in a player. Everything else is being a professional business man, nothing wrong with that.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilson is a good hearted person, he does wonderful things for the kids and the city. The NFL is enjoyment for us on Sudays and a business for the players. Right now we're seeing the business side from him and his agent and sometimes these type of contracts take longer to get done. I still say this contract will get done.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my post was saying that Russell's AGENT will try and stay firm on the 25 million mark, if it happens are not is up to Wilson if you ask me. If Seattle puts 23.8 million on the table i can see Wilson telling his Agent lets get this done and his agent saying no lets hold out for that 25 million mark and using next years possible signings of Luck for around 25 mill with Brees and Peyton Manning going into their final year of their deals so they could/should get raises or they become UFA at the end of 2016. This all works into the Agents hands to get Wilson 25 mill per season.

If Brees and Peyton both get new contracts in 2016 ( which they will unless one or both retire )do you think they will be paid less than Rogers? if you believe that you are crazy. In this next offseason i think Brees gets 25-26 million per, Peyton ( if he doesn't retire ) could see 25-26 mill per and then you got Luck who will want that type of money but might not get it. he would still most likely get 25 to 25.5 mill per. That will force Seattles hand and they might have to pay 25-26 mill per if they wait till next season to get it done. the FT for QB's will skyrocket in the coming years.

You do not want to FT Wilson in 2016 at 25-26 mill per because then he knows that if you FT him in 2017 he will be paid around 28-29 million and then holds that power to get a deal in the range of 27.5-28 mill per season. Believe it or not right now Wilson's agent has all the power. Playing for 1.5 mill this year could earn Wilson a base pay raise boost of 2.5 million per season or more over that 25 million mark. So i ask you, 25 million per year or 27-28 million per year with most likely much higher guaranteed money and base salary raises over the years? I say give him that 25 per and with in a year or two he will no longer have what people view as a bloated contract.

Brees and Manning will not be breaking the bank again. Both are on the decline, and both are locked up for the next two seasons. Hell, Manning just took a pay cut. And if they wait for Luck to get that contract next year they'll be in for a surprise because he's going to play under the fifth year option.

If that 25 is really such a big deal to them, they're going to sit around the next 2-3 years without a long term deal. The 25 is just where they're standing now, because, well, why the hell not? You never actually negotiate from where you expect to be paid, you go high and make sure they come to you

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember an interview with Wilson early on, might have even been before he named the starter, and he said when asked what his ultimate goal was that he wanted to be an NFL owner at some point. The gist was he's just all about football and wants to be a major part of it for the rest of his life.

You won't get to the point where you have enough money to own an NFL team making home town discount deals.

I think most of us are concerned over the impact a mega deal might have on the teams ability to fill out the rest of the roster with championship quality players, but there are way too many in this town just flipping out over this contract negotiation.

Arrogant, selfish, phony... I mean really? So far I haven't heard him say a single negative thing about the team, staff, city, or really anything else. He's as upbeat and positive as he has ever been. But because he and his agent hasn't already signed some unknown deal he's all those other things? :wtf:

We have another week to go before we know if some 11th hour deal is going to get signed. Until that point everything else is speculation. Of course his group is saying they are miles away and they aren't budging. They should be fired if they said anything but that shouldn't they? By the end of next week we will see whether or not he ends up playing out his rookie deal this year.

Wagner is the wild card here. They CAN'T let both of them play out their contracts because they can only franchise one next year and both camps know that. If Wilson doesn't sign I'd be shocked to not see something substantial done with Bobby.

Either way it shouldn't be such a big deal this year. If Wilson doesn't sign he has all the extra incentive in the world to go kick ass and raise the level of his game and it leaves us more cap space to sign people all the way into the season if we need injury replacements or some stud falls through the cracks somewhere. If he does sign his deal it means the whole things is put to rest.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't consider Wilson any less of a nice guy it's just that nice guy doesn't equal not wanting to get paid and people put him on that pedestal that because he's a nice guy he was going to take a home town discount.

As far as the negations goes the agent works for Wilson and Wilson at any time can get a deal done if he wants. Wilson picked his agent knowing full well who he was picking so I don't think it's a case of Wilson buying a bag of good from his agent but Wilson himself wanting the money and his agent executing the plan to get him that money.

Wilson is gambling but he obviously has confidence in himself and it's not a terrible gamble he's taking. He'll play on the 1.5 million this season but even if the Seahawks franchise him that tag would be between 20-25 million and it's hard to see the Hawks tagging him two years in a row. And he knows that the cap continues to rise and if the Hawks don't pay him some desperate QB needy team will pay him.