• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Handicapping Russell Wilson's Landing Spots

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many threads on this bullshit already. I'm not helping any by adding one more, but hopefully, in this forum, it will be contained to our own fan base.

Disclaimer: I think this rumor has legs mainly because Wilson hasn't made any public statements to shoot it down.

So, assuming Wilson's future in Seattle indeed is in play, what is his motivation? Does he want out, does he want a contract negotiation that puts him in Mahomes' and Watson's stratosphere, or does he want more control over how the offense is built and run.

I think he wants out. This is media barrage about Wilson being unhappy has been far too convenient and seemingly staged with an end game clearly in mind. And I don't think it is money nor his disagreement with how the offense is run nor the ability of the OL to protect him. I think those are just convenient excuses. What I think he wants brighter in a more high profile organization and to be able to hang out with celebrities after the game.

He completely controls where he plays next season and I think he wants a bigger stage which leaves very few franchises.

#1 LA Chargers. I think Russ really wants to be in LA where he and his pretend-Christian wife love to rub noses with celebrities. Herbert and the #13th overall pick for Russ with a few other later round picks? I'd take it.

#2 New York Jets. NYC lights are bright enough for Broadway Russ. Darnold their numbers #2 and #23 picks for Wilson and our #56 pick? I do that one too and hopefully Darnold would only start 5 or 6 games before Zack (Don't Call Me Russell) Wilson took over.

#3 Las Vegas Raiders. Vegas is Hollywood East. Russell would probably accept that trade. Carr and an assortment of draft picks with then highest being #17. No thanks.

#4 Dallas. Dallas is not a celebrity hotspot but the Cowboys have the highest profile of any team in the NFL. Russ would probably accept a trade there. And he doesn't have a broken leg so the Cowboys might be interested. But they have no QB to send back. Their biggest asset is the #10 pick in the draft. No thanks;.

#5. New York Giants. Again, Mr Ciara would love the bright lights of NY. Jones and the #11 and other later round picks. No thanks.

#6. LA Rams. This is the ideal scenario for Russ but there are multiple obvious reasons why this won't happen. And Aaron Donald would hate the hit it would take on his sack totals.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson isn't getting traded. They will sooner get rid of Pete than trade Wilson.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson isn't getting traded. They will sooner get rid of Pete than trade Wilson.
Getting rid of Pete would not fix the problem. And it's a problem. The only people who don't realize it are the people over-emotionally invested.
Wilson isn't going to be a dominant QB into his late 30s like Brady and Rodgers and Manning and Rivers. He's too small and taken too many hits. Moving him now while his trade value is still at its peak is not such a bad idea. He's certainly not leading this team deep in the playoffs next year. Not with a porous defense, a lame offensive line, and no running backs.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost a lot of respect for Wilson for not shooting this down. And F "TEAM 3"

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting rid of Pete would not fix the problem. And it's a problem. The only people who don't realize it are the people over-emotionally invested.
Wilson isn't going to be a dominant QB into his late 30s like Brady and Rodgers and Manning and Rivers. He's too small and taken too many hits. Moving him now while his trade value is still at its peak is not such a bad idea. He's certainly not leading this team deep in the playoffs next year. Not with a porous defense, a lame offensive line, and no running backs.

Trading Wilson is an absolutely ATROCIOUS idea. Whether Wilson will be like Brady or Rodgers or Rivers can be debated. Maybe he will fade in skills and be out of football in 5 years. I doubt it but it is possible.

But there is no way that the Seahawks would be anything but a complete loser in any trade involving Wilson. Give up a perennial Pro Bowl QB who will likely be a Hall of Famer for a crapshoot at No 2 and Justin Fields? No thanks.

Maybe trading for Herbert would be ok but the Chargers aren't going to trade Herbert for Wilson. Or anyone for that matter.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost a lot of respect for Wilson for not shooting this down. And F "TEAM 3"

This is all just a power play by Wilson to get the team to do what he wants.

Really good article on the Athletic about all of this. Some people think this is also a little face saving by Team Wilson after the horrendous 2nd half of last season.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really good article on the Athletic about all of this. Some people think this is also a little face saving by Team Wilson after the horrendous 2nd half of last season.

It's the way of big sport these days.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Pete doesn't change the cap problem, or the lack of picks, or the late draft position and there isn't any easy path to obtaining a better OL. The team has gone from run heavy to pass heavy. Not sure a trade will land RW in the "ideal" situation either. Best for both parties to give it another year at least. The amount of dead money is prohibitive for a trade this season. Rogers, Brady and Brees are not going be around long and the Rams are going to bust shortly with the way they have kicked the can down the road.
QBs in the league need to start acknowledging the pay they receive is the biggest obstacle to putting quality players around them and either accept that as the reality or offer to cut their salary ( never going to happen).

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more time goes. The more I think their is a rift between the Two parties....

Honestly. Ask for 4 1sts, or pieces comparable to 2 1sts.

Firing Pete doesn't change the cap problem, or the lack of picks, or the late draft position and there isn't any easy path to obtaining a better OL. The team has gone from run heavy to pass heavy. Not sure a trade will land RW in the "ideal" situation either. Best for both parties to give it another year at least. The amount of dead money is prohibitive for a trade this season. Rogers, Brady and Brees are not going be around long and the Rams are going to bust shortly with the way they have kicked the can down the road.
QBs in the league need to start acknowledging the pay they receive is the biggest obstacle to putting quality players around them and either accept that as the reality or offer to cut their salary ( never going to happen).

I agree with you Harold on not trading Russ this year but one year could either Change his mind

OR

it could change other teams mind.

IMHO As much as I don't want to trade Russ. This situation is Murky and I think, with this years QB class and QB Market, I think this might be the perfect time.

With this being said. I'm a youth guy so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Wilson is an absolutely ATROCIOUS idea. Whether Wilson will be like Brady or Rodgers or Rivers can be debated. Maybe he will fade in skills and be out of football in 5 years. I doubt it but it is possible.

But there is no way that the Seahawks would be anything but a complete loser in any trade involving Wilson. Give up a perennial Pro Bowl QB who will likely be a Hall of Famer for a crapshoot at No 2 and Justin Fields? No thanks.

Maybe trading for Herbert would be ok but the Chargers aren't going to trade Herbert for Wilson. Or anyone for that matter.
Complete losers in a trade involving Wilson? I don't see why. Especially with Schneider orchestrating the trade. I'd agree that it would probably favor the acquiring team for the first year or two, if we were breaking in a new QB. But in the bigger picture, there is no reason why we can't win or break even in a trade of Wilson.

I agree with you that the Chargers probably wouldn't want to trade Herbert, even for Wilson. But stranger things have happened in the NFL. The Chargers want to surpass the Rams as LA's #1 team and it will require some bold moves to get there. Acquiring Wilson would be a huge step toward achieving that goal.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that is what he actually did, his motivating factor, then it is a total dick move and cringeworthy for the guy you are paying over $2 million per start to be your team's leader. If he can't or won't be accountable for his own ineffectiveness down the stretch, an ineffectiveness that probably cost us HFA in the playoffs, then let him run off somewhere else where he and his phony wife can be among their social elite.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson has made his choices known.

Well, I got two out of four right. Chicago would have been on my list at #7 but I stopped at six. The Saints surprised me. Didn't see that coming. Interdasting. I expected to see NY and LA on his wish list. Maybe the NY franchises are just too far away from contending and the LA franchises are pretty much locked in at QB.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather blow up the front office than trade wilson. He IS NOT the problem.

Is there a link for that tweet? I cant see it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is what he actually did, his motivating factor, then it is a total dick move and cringeworthy for the guy you are paying over $2 million per start to be your team's leader. If he can't or won't be accountable for his own ineffectiveness down the stretch, an ineffectiveness that probably cost us HFA in the playoffs, then let him run off somewhere else where he and his phony wife can be among their social elite.

And we can go back to being a 7 to 9 win team every year wondering what it is like to have a top tier QB.

IMO, Russ deserves criticism for the 2nd half of last season. But so did Pete.

For those with an Athletic subscription check this out..

Before the Thursday night game against Arizona, Wilson met with his coaches. For some time, Wilson has sought — even pushed — for influence within the organization regarding scheme and personnel. In the meeting, he outlined his own ideas for how to fix the offense. His suggestions were dismissed, multiple sources told The Athletic — another reminder to Wilson that the Seahawks did not see him the same way he saw himself, as a player who had earned greater control over his situation, his future, his legacy.

I don't care which QB you are talking about, a coach must ALWAYS keep his QB focused properly and that also means making sure he feels heard in these situations.

I also think that John Schneider deserves criticism. He made some good moves in the off season but his decision to spend big money on Greg Olsen rather several premium OL that were available for less really hurt the team. Signing Jack Conklin could have been a huge boon for the team.

Honestly, I blame Pete the most because I think he overreacted after the Bills/Rams games and damaged the confidence of his QB an

Mistakes were made by many people. But let's not pretend we had some sort of trainwreck of a season. We were 12-4 and could have easily gone 13-3 and had the 1 seed.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistakes were made by many people. But let's not pretend we had some sort of trainwreck of a season. We were 12-4 and could have easily gone 13-3 and had the 1 seed.

they could have just as easily gone 8-8 though. Lets not sugar coat it. To many close scoring games to be a top flight team. you got to put distance between you and your opponents when you are the better team in the NFL. Can not sit on 10 point leads like Pete likes to do because every NFL team can get hot and light you up. Every last one including the Jets, trick is you don't let them, you step on their throats!

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the rush to trade Wilson when he is under contract all the way until the end of the 2023 season. Pettiness runs both ways I would be down to trade him to Jacksonville to draft Trevor Lawrence or to Houston in a swap with Watson hell even the Jets in a package deal involving the 2nd overall pick but obviously Wilson would exercise his no trade clause.

I really hate the whole "I want to be traded but trade me to specific teams so I can win" notion is bullshit. I hated it when James Harden cried his way out of Houston. I would tell Wilson he isn't going anywhere and for damn sure we aren't trading you to a specific team where the return wouldn't be that good. What can NO, CHI, LAV, or Dallas really give the Hawks in return for Wilson. I don't want 3 or 4 first round picks that are in the back end of the first round. If we are not in a position to draft a QB in the top 5 then no package can work.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the rush to trade Wilson when he is under contract all the way until the end of the 2023 season. Pettiness runs both ways I would be down to trade him to Jacksonville to draft Trevor Lawrence or to Houston in a swap with Watson hell even the Jets in a package deal involving the 2nd overall pick but obviously Wilson would exercise his no trade clause.

I really hate the whole "I want to be traded but trade me to specific teams so I can win" notion is bullshit. I hated it when James Harden cried his way out of Houston. I would tell Wilson he isn't going anywhere and for damn sure we aren't trading you to a specific team where the return wouldn't be that good. What can NO, CHI, LAV, or Dallas really give the Hawks in return for Wilson. I don't want 3 or 4 first round picks that are in the back end of the first round. If we are not in a position to draft a QB in the top 5 then no package can work.
We are used to it here in Seattle. Junior did it to us in 1999. Randy Johnson did it too. And Gary Payton.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they could have just as easily gone 8-8 though. Lets not sugar coat it. To many close scoring games to be a top flight team. you got to put distance between you and your opponents when you are the better team in the NFL. Can not sit on 10 point leads like Pete likes to do because every NFL team can get hot and light you up. Every last one including the Jets, trick is you don't let them, you step on their throats!

I'm not saying that everything is flowers and candy. I'm saying that there are a lot of fans who are acting like this team is some sort of train wreck. This team won 23 games in the past 2 seasons. Arguing that we should just blow it all up is absurd.