• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rough Start??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching a short take on this year's New England Patriots and for the first time someone took a cold, Hard look at what the team has to deal with, with training camp opening next week.

1. Tom Brady suspended for the first four games of the regular season. This was a possibility since last January and now it's come true. Will Jimmy Grapollo step up and take the team or will Jacoby Brissett be required to handle things as a rookie?

2. Both tackles recovering from season ending injuries. Most people think that Solder and Vollmer are completely healed and ready to play. The truth is that both have been rehabilitating and are on schedule. Question is, can they play full steam in practice?

3. Julian Edelman was at Fenway Park last night taking grounders and hitting batting practice. He appears to be very flexible and he was covering a lot of ground going after sharply hit balls at shortstop. The big question .....Is his foot ready for a 300 lb defensive lineman to fall on it at full speed?

4. Danny Amendola is still wearing a knee brace full time. Admittedly it's a spandex and Velcro unit, but his knee is still being supported. Will he still be able to run and cut when camp opens or will he be on PUP?

5. Lagarrett Blount has a serious hip injury that ended his season last year. Once RBs hit 30, they tend to head south quickly and injuries only speed up the demise.

6. Dion Lewis tore his ACL last year and has been rehabbing since surgery. Every month we heard that he was ahead of schedule. Does that schedule all ow him to come to camp ready to play NFL football?

We're talking 5 skill positions and two critical offensive line positions. The AFC East is drooling and the rest of the AFC is giddy at the prospect of a less than complete Patriot offense taking the field weeks 1-4. The rest of the season may be in question if the OL isn't in tact.

The Patriot haters will say that we're already making excuses, just in case the Patriots don't get off to good start or get their ass handed to them early and often. To Patriot fans it's a time to wonder how healthy the team is and is the only concern having an unknown quantity at QB?

From my cheap seat, I think that a great deal of pressure will be placed squarely on the shoulders of the defense to keep teams out of the end zone and allow the Patriots offense some time to get in sync. As you take a step back and look at this team, Belichick attempted to put together a formidable defense to assure the offense that they would not have to put 35 points on the board every week, but set things up so that 16-20 points would be adequate until Brady gets back.

Was a great 15 minutes of Patriots football and was like going a whole day without food and being handed a fork with a small taste of steak.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching a short take on this year's New England Patriots and for the first time someone took a cold, Hard look at what the team has to deal with, with training camp opening next week.

1. Tom Brady suspended for the first four games of the regular season. This was a possibility since last January and now it's come true. Will Jimmy Grapollo step up and take the team or will Jacoby Brissett be required to handle things as a rookie?

2. Both tackles recovering from season ending injuries. Most people think that Solder and Vollmer are completely healed and ready to play. The truth is that both have been rehabilitating and are on schedule. Question is, can they play full steam in practice?

3. Julian Edelman was at Fenway Park last night taking grounders and hitting batting practice. He appears to be very flexible and he was covering a lot of ground going after sharply hit balls at shortstop. The big question .....Is his foot ready for a 300 lb defensive lineman to fall on it at full speed?

4. Danny Amendola is still wearing a knee brace full time. Admittedly it's a spandex and Velcro unit, but his knee is still being supported. Will he still be able to run and cut when camp opens or will he be on PUP?

5. Lagarrett Blount has a serious hip injury that ended his season last year. Once RBs hit 30, they tend to head south quickly and injuries only speed up the demise.

6. Dion Lewis tore his ACL last year and has been rehabbing since surgery. Every month we heard that he was ahead of schedule. Does that schedule all ow him to come to camp ready to play NFL football?

We're talking 5 skill positions and two critical offensive line positions. The AFC East is drooling and the rest of the AFC is giddy at the prospect of a less than complete Patriot offense taking the field weeks 1-4. The rest of the season may be in question if the OL isn't in tact.

The Patriot haters will say that we're already making excuses, just in case the Patriots don't get off to good start or get their ass handed to them early and often. To Patriot fans it's a time to wonder how healthy the team is and is the only concern having an unknown quantity at QB?

From my cheap seat, I think that a great deal of pressure will be placed squarely on the shoulders of the defense to keep teams out of the end zone and allow the Patriots offense some time to get in sync. As you take a step back and look at this team, Belichick attempted to put together a formidable defense to assure the offense that they would not have to put 35 points on the board every week, but set things up so that 16-20 points would be adequate until Brady gets back.

Was a great 15 minutes of Patriots football and was like going a whole day without food and being handed a fork with a small taste of steak.

Ken...reality suck sometimes....PIT went thru some tough losses themselves in '15.

• Loss starting LT Kelvin Beachum for the season in wk 6...untested Villaneuva completed the season.
  • Loss Pro bowl starting C, Pouncey for the season, Cody Wallace starts all 16 games
  • Loss Ben to injury for 5 games...Vick started 3, Landry started 2...they went 3-2
  • Loss starting CB C. Allen to injury in wk 1, picked up a guy off waivers, Russ Cockrell, plays 15 gms
  • Loss Le'Veon Bell for the season after 6 games...back up D. Williams started 10 games
  • Loss Antonio Brown in the WC game, couldn't play in the 2nd rd vs DEN
  • Loss DeAngelo Williams in the WC game, couldn't play in the 2nd rd vs DEN

Steelers went 10-6, won the wildcard round game @ CIN, and bowed out of the playoffs @ DEN...16-23 with no A. Brown, no Bell, and no Williams.

The point...it's the NFL, this kind of stuff happens.

The Pats have the benefit of 3 of the 4 non Brady games at home...2-2 or even 3-1 won't be the end of the season.

BUF
needs to hope Taylor can repeat his '15 season and stay on the field, WR1 Watkins is coming off foot surgery, need to replace Mario Williams.

MIA needs to get a lot of new pieces working together

NYJ are still unsettled at QB

I think 9 wins will be the ceiling for all 3...10 wins will be noteworthy....Pats will do no worse than 10-6, more likely 11-5 and win the DIV again.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching a short take on this year's New England Patriots and for the first time someone took a cold, Hard look at what the team has to deal with

Good job Ken. Unbiased, realistic but not pessimistic. I believe we have all the pieces in place but not everything is going to go as drawn up. It will be an interesting pre-season.....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job Ken. Unbiased, realistic but not pessimistic. I believe we have all the pieces in place but not everything is going to go as drawn up. It will be an interesting pre-season.....

Agree with this...Very good objective post by BigKen when looking at the team. As much as other teams are licking their chops I would say most of them have many more questions than this right now. I mean there is a reason that the Patriots even with Brady being suspended are still considered the favorites in the AFC to make the Super Bowl. Going to be interesting to see Jimmy G on the field.

I will say though some big blows to the top-2 AFC teams over the last couple of weeks with Bell and Brady both getting suspended. I would still expect both the Patriots and Steelers to make the playoffs even with these losses because of the talent on the team and well 4 games is still only 4 games. What it does open up though is the possibility that those teams don't get the top-2 seeds with some early losses possibly. Going to be an interesting start to the season for sure.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One big thing I take away from Big Kens post...there are no defensive players on that list, and we added a few good ones too. This team is loaded with depth and that is a good thing. The two name that I have an issue with is JE11 and Solder. But....we also have two of the best TE in the game that can more than make up for JE if he is out. I think the OL will be more stable, at least at the RG,C,LG spot. If Solder can get back in shape and play a full season, he can be as good as anyone. Volly will be nice to play all yr, but I think we have the depth to replace him. Still not sold on Blount making this team. We need RB who can pick up the blitz, I see Brown over Blount.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One big thing I take away from Big Kens post...there are no defensive players on that list, and we added a few good ones too. This team is loaded with depth and that is a good thing. The two name that I have an issue with is JE11 and Solder. But....we also have two of the best TE in the game that can more than make up for JE if he is out. I think the OL will be more stable, at least at the RG,C,LG spot. If Solder can get back in shape and play a full season, he can be as good as anyone. Volly will be nice to play all yr, but I think we have the depth to replace him. Still not sold on Blount making this team. We need RB who can pick up the blitz, I see Brown over Blount.

Edelman is playing shortstop and hitting home runs. I think he'll be ready. Garappolo has previously been throwing to more of the "depth receivers" so I think you may be surprised at his most effective targets during the games.
Yes, the defense is loaded. Player cuts are going to be frustrating.
I agree on Blount. I think he is 50-50 at best at this point......

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edelman is playing shortstop and hitting home runs. I think he'll be ready. Garappolo has previously been throwing to more of the "depth receivers" so I think you may be surprised at his most effective targets during the games.
Yes, the defense is loaded. Player cuts are going to be frustrating.
I agree on Blount. I think he is 50-50 at best at this point......

Was he throwing to depth WR because he and they were 2nd team reps? Kind of curious...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he throwing to depth WR because he and they were 2nd team reps? Kind of curious...

That's the way I see it. Typically, a backup QB throws to the guys that he has spent the most time with - usually the 2nd string receivers. The defense will be keying on the wrong guys.....

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the way I see it. Typically, a backup QB throws to the guys that he has spent the most time with - usually the 2nd string receivers. The defense will be keying on the wrong guys.....

Curious is he gets the reps with the ones? I would think so. He needs to build a rep with those guys. I would hate to see Brady get all the 1's. I mean, does TB really need it...

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another abstract is the return of Devlin ... he added more to the passing offense than most realize ... I've been sayin for years that NE needs a blocking FB and Devlin did that ... his absence was felt last year ... I understand he'll be ready full tilt ... I hope so

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another abstract is the return of Devlin ... he added more to the passing offense than most realize ... I've been sayin for years that NE needs a blocking FB and Devlin did that ... his absence was felt last year ... I understand he'll be ready full tilt ... I hope so
I'm with you Develin adds quite a bit to the backfield. I can see lots of jumbo run packages with Develin, Gronk and Bennett should Grappalo struggle early on. Scar back coaching I see good things.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you Develin adds quite a bit to the backfield. I can see lots of jumbo run packages with Develin, Gronk and Bennett should Grappalo struggle early on. Scar back coaching I see good things.

It is going to be a rough start ... but possibly the most exciting in a long time ...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious is he gets the reps with the ones? I would think so. He needs to build a rep with those guys. I would hate to see Brady get all the 1's. I mean, does TB really need it...

Oh, he'll absolutely get time with the one's - but he has been throwing to the 2's and 3's for 2 years.....