• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ricky Williams: I’d be a Hall of Famer if weed was legal

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its so easy to be critical from the sidelines here.

But it's not a question of IF these NFL players need some kind of drugs, it's just a question of which drugs they're going to take. So many of you are very self righteous. It's not your pain throughout your entire body, it's not your constant headaches. So it's easy to say, "well take the horrible prescription drugs available to you or don't take anything at all."

Like Hank said, Ricky seems at peace with his decisions. And you know what? He should be. Even if some fans don't understand it. Watching interviews with him, he seems like easily one of the more healthy and cognitive ex football players. He just knows the truth, that drugs are a necessary evil of football and they all come with risks; marijuana - you risk your career, opiod pain killers - you risk your life.

Self righteous? LOL. Now who is projecting? I - along w/ many others stated that we have no issue with pot being legal & don't really have an issue simply w/ Williams getting high on its own. The issue is following the guidelines of your job. It is not the hard to figure out & I think that most folks here are being reasonable in this respect. It almost sounds to me like you are just trying to create an argument for arguments sake. Have fun with that. You can label me wrong - I am good w/ that since I don't really care.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13932750_1087848077970417_7365118278098402122_n.png

BAM

Ed Zachary.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Self righteous? LOL. Now who is projecting? I - along w/ many others stated that we have no issue with pot being legal & don't really have an issue simply w/ Williams getting high on its own. The issue is following the guidelines of your job. It is not the hard to figure out & I think that most folks here are being reasonable in this respect. It almost sounds to me like you are just trying to create an argument for arguments sake. Have fun with that. You can label me wrong - I am good w/ that since I don't really care.

Not projecting, observing.

I understand the idea of following the guidelines of a job. Ricky seemingly does too, that's why he came back to the NFL and kept his nose clean. I'm just saying that those accepted guidelines are unsafe, and that should be considered by anyone following them.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its so easy to be critical from the sidelines here.

But it's not a question of IF these NFL players need some kind of drugs, it's just a question of which drugs they're going to take. So many of you are very self righteous. It's not your pain throughout your entire body, it's not your constant headaches. So it's easy to say, "well take the horrible prescription drugs available to you or don't take anything at all."

Like Hank said, Ricky seems at peace with his decisions. And you know what? He should be. Even if some fans don't understand it. Watching interviews with him, he seems like easily one of the more healthy and cognitive ex football players. He just knows the truth, that drugs are a necessary evil of football and they all come with risks; marijuana - you risk your career, opiod pain killers - you risk your life.
So is it your contention that most NFL players that smoke pot are doing so to deal with pain? Do you also believe that most of the guys that get caught with PEDs took a supplement in a foreign Country that they didn't realize contained an innocent substance that happens to be on the banned list too?

It's a bull shit excuse by people that get caught. The small percent of guys taking it for pain management becomes the reason they all are when they get caught. No one would give a crap if these guys want to smoke pot if it wasn't going to get them suspended. Since it will, it's as simple as they all know the rules ahead of time and if they smoke pot knowing those rules they deserve the suspensions. They aren't being "judged" as bad people because they smoke pot, they are being judged as guys that come off (even if unfair) as caring more about having a good time than they do making sure they can play Football. Just like a guy that violates curfew or won't dress properly on a plane. Yeah we all know they are stupid frigging rules, but just STFU and follow them. It's part of being in the NFL. There are other jobs out there, take one of them or fight harder in the next union contract to change the rules.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not projecting, observing.

I understand the idea of following the guidelines of a job. Ricky seemingly does too, that's why he came back to the NFL and kept his nose clean. I'm just saying that those accepted guidelines are unsafe, and that should be considered by anyone following them.

I've got guidelines for my job too. But low profile avoids issues.

And then there's the fact the boss keeps a bottle of Smirnoff in the fridge freezer and that's AOK.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor....

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is it your contention that most NFL players that smoke pot are doing so to deal with pain? Do you also believe that most of the guys that get caught with PEDs took a supplement in a foreign Country that they didn't realize contained an innocent substance that happens to be on the banned list too?

It's a bull shit excuse by people that get caught. The small percent of guys taking it for pain management becomes the reason they all are when they get caught. No one would give a crap if these guys want to smoke pot if it wasn't going to get them suspended. Since it will, it's as simple as they all know the rules ahead of time and if they smoke pot knowing those rules they deserve the suspensions. They aren't being "judged" as bad people because they smoke pot, they are being judged as guys that come off (even if unfair) as caring more about having a good time than they do making sure they can play Football. Just like a guy that violates curfew or won't dress properly on a plane. Yeah we all know they are stupid frigging rules, but just STFU and follow them. It's part of being in the NFL. There are other jobs out there, take one of them or fight harder in the next union contract to change the rules.

So, you think that the insanely high level of pain killer addicted NFL players just start taking them because they want to and they use body and head pain simply as excuses?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you think that the insanely high level of pain killer addicted NFL players just start taking them because they want to and they use body and head pain simply as excuses?
Pain killers??? Weren't we talking about pot?

On painkillers there are millions of people in this Country addicted to them. Many of whom have no idea what real pain even is. So I'd imagine there are many NFL players that started taking pain killers due to an injury and then just continued to take them for recreation/addiction reasons and not pain management purposes. But, yes many more probably need them for daily pain as well I'm sure.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got guidelines for my job too. But low profile avoids issues.

And then there's the fact the boss keeps a bottle of Smirnoff in the fridge freezer and that's AOK.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor....

I wish that my boss did that - it might lighten her up a bit (& she could use that).

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pain killers, weren't we talking about pot?

On painkillers there are millions of people in this Country addicted to them. Many of whom have no idea what real pain even is. So I'd imagine there are many NFL players that started taking pain killers due to an injury and then just continued to take them for recreation/addiction reasons and not pain management purposes. But, yes many more probably need them for daily pain as well I'm sure.

We're talking about NFL pain management. Which includes both opiod and canibinoids.

And yea, like you said, many start taking them for pain and become addicted. Thats all I was getting at. Addiction to drugs that could be avoided just seems to be a risk that many fans seem to be perfectly fine with. I'm not.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about NFL pain management. Which includes both opiod and canibinoids.

And yea, like you said, many start taking them for pain and become addicted. Thats all I was getting at. Addiction to drugs that could be avoided just seems to be a risk that many fans seem to be perfectly fine with. I'm not.
gotcha, personally I look at the two as separately and kind of unrelated. Regardless of what some people say I don't know anyone that started using pot for pain management so I don't give any leeway there or believe for one second that is why it's being used when people bring it up. Pain killers on the other hand I tend to agree with your point.:thumb:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotcha, personally I look at the two as separately and kind of unrelated. Regardless of what some people say I don't know anyone that started using pot for pain management so I don't give any leeway there or believe for one second that is why it's being used when people bring it up. Pain killers on the other hand I tend to agree with your point.:thumb:

For sure, many of these guys smoke weed recreationally. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't have value as pain relief, because it does. And not only as pain relief, it's been proven to reduce swelling of the brain. You don't have to believe it, but if you became familiar with the facts, you would.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also get pumped full of legal, destructive opiods..

Again, my theory is the NFL is in cahoots with big pharmaceutical..... Stranger things have happened...
Yep, let's get rid of the legal opiods and blame them, because a few knuckleheads have no will power. It's big pharmaceeticals fault.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, many of these guys smoke weed recreationally. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't have value as pain relief, because it does. And not only as pain relief, it's been proven to reduce swelling of the brain. You don't have to believe it, but if you became familiar with the facts, you would.
I have never commented on whether or not there are beneficial reasons to smoke pot or not because that's not the issue to me. But, I do doubt that as being a reason for 99% of these guys to do it and as long as it's against the CBA it's a problem and stupid to do. It's pretty simple.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton would be a genius if brains were excuses:loco2:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, let's get rid of the legal opiods and blame them, because a few knuckleheads have no will power. It's big pharmaceeticals fault.

Take your big red Bozo the Clown nose off and accept that opiods are highly addictive and can be lethal.

Just cause they are legal doesn't make them good. And vice versa.

For sure Big Pharma has an active lobby against the herb.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never commented on whether or not there are beneficial reasons to smoke pot or not because that's not the issue to me. But, I do doubt that as being a reason for 99% of these guys to do it and as long as it's against the CBA it's a problem and stupid to do. It's pretty simple.

Then I think you're really undersetimating the amount of pain involved involved in their proffession.

And I agree with the part about the cba. You have to follow rules if you want to play. But some rules are worth breaking, including ones that affect your long term health and well being. And as someone who has seen many lives destroyed by pain killer and opiod addiction, I definitely can see breaking a rule to just use something less damaging. Not an excuse, you still have to deal with the consequences if caught. Many people are comparing this to their own jobs and the rules there, and unless you're a crash test dummy, I don't think it's at all comparable and judgement should be given out carefully.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take your big red Bozo the Clown nose off and accept that opiods are highly addictive and can be lethal.

Just cause they are legal doesn't make them good. And vice versa.

For sure Big Pharma has an active lobby against the herb.

Hank you might the smartest man on here, besides me