• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Paul George is a Hall of Famer, who retires his jersey???

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’ll probably end up getting in, but I think he’s the most overrated HOF prospect among current NBA players. Case and point - As much as I hate Jimmy Butler, he’s a much better HOF prospect than George and it shouldn’t be all that close.

Let’s get one thing out of the way: The Pacers aren’t going to retire his jersey.

First and foremost, he wore two different numbers here, before and after his injury. Then, of course, he attempted to alienate the franchise as a whole for all of his peers with his trade saga, and Pacers ownership surely won’t forget it.

Those factors aside, let’s take a look at what he actually did accomplish on the court in a Pacers uniform…

He was a good, not great, scorer who in large part failed to come through in clutch situations. He had many highlight reel plays here and there, and much of his value came on the defensive side of the ball. Even though the Pacers made back-to-back conference finals appearances with George on the roster, you just knew that team was missing something. Even though I had hoped they’d luck out and beat Miami (who wouldn’t?), no one on this planet truly believed that team had a chance against the Spurs in the finals.

Had you asked a Lakers fan in either 2016 or 2017, one would have assumed George was a young version of LeBron… He had that one great year in OKC, but again choked in the clutch in that elimination Game 5 against Portland that year. He probably played his best basketball overall in a Thunder uniform, but only two years of service time. No reason for them to retire his jersey…

His tenure with the Clippers has been marred by injuries. Now in his mid-30’s, there’s no reason to think that’s going to suddenly change.

All in all, George was not loved in any place he’s been, and he only has himself to blame for it.

And of course, there was that one brief moment that George got the level of star treatment that LeBron would have gotten:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’ll probably end up getting in, but I think he’s the most overrated HOF prospect among current NBA players. Case and point - As much as I hate Jimmy Butler, he’s a much better HOF prospect than George and it shouldn’t be all that close.

Let’s get one thing out of the way: The Pacers aren’t going to retire his jersey.

First and foremost, he wore two different numbers here, before and after his injury. Then, of course, he attempted to alienate the franchise as a whole for all of his peers with his trade saga, and Pacers ownership surely won’t forget it.

Those factors aside, let’s take a look at what he actually did accomplish on the court in a Pacers uniform…

He was a good, not great, scorer who in large part failed to come through in clutch situations. He had many highlight reel plays here and there, and much of his value came on the defensive side of the ball. Even though the Pacers made back-to-back conference finals appearances with George on the roster, you just knew that team was missing something. Even though I had hoped they’d luck out and beat Miami (who wouldn’t?), no one on this planet truly believed that team had a chance against the Spurs in the finals.

Had you asked a Lakers fan in either 2016 or 2017, one would have assumed George was a young version of LeBron… He had that one great year in OKC, but again choked in the clutch in that elimination Game 5 against Portland that year. He probably played his best basketball overall in a Thunder uniform, but only two years of service time. No reason for them to retire his jersey…

His tenure with the Clippers has been marred by injuries. Now in his mid-30’s, there’s no reason to think that’s going to suddenly change.

All in all, George was not loved in any place he’s been, and he only has himself to blame for it.

And of course, there was that one brief moment that George got the level of star treatment that LeBron would have gotten:

He probably doesn't have his jersey retired. Possibly the Clippers so they can have more in the rafters but wouldn't surprise me if no one does

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably doesn't have his jersey retired. Possibly the Clippers so they can have more in the rafters but wouldn't surprise me if no one does

Yeah I agree with this. Pacers are the only possibe team as things currently stand but i don't see them retiring his jersey

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree with this. Pacers are the only possibe team as things currently stand but i don't see them retiring his jersey
Might make sense for Indiana to retire both his numbers.

The only NBA players the Pacers have retired are Reggie Miller and Bill Russell.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s not a HoFer yet.

But, not the Clippers….imo

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George might be a hall of famer, but only just.

There are plenty of Hall of Fame players without jerseys retired by an NBA team.

Gary Payton immediately comes to mind. Don't think T-Mac has had his number retired either.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't want him!

Maybe if they can pay him per game played only.

I think the Lakers can afford $20k a year

I was thinking in 2024 or 2025 if Lebron has moved on to another team to play with Bronny. His asking price would have to come down for age and availability, unless he gets healthier moving forward.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George might be a hall of famer, but only just.

There are plenty of Hall of Fame players without jerseys retired by an NBA team.

Gary Payton immediately comes to mind. Don't think T-Mac has had his number retired either.
Payton, Kemp, and Ray Allen ought to get their numbers retired as soon as the NBA reinstates the Sonics. Obviously Milwaukee can't retire Allen's number because there's some other guy that also wears #34 for them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clippers still offer him the best chance if he could ever get healthy at the right time and they make a deep run in Ty Lue's system.

Still a long shot, though.

Very doubtful at this point.

Clippers have been extremely disappointing since PG and Kawhi came to town.

Their best shot came in 2021 and a WCF place was the best result the team ever had in the playoffs.

Neither player deserves their number to be retired by LA

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a fairly easy answer considering he hasn’t done jackshit in LA

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know he's 33, right?

Yeah, still a useful (and often dominant) player when available. I took your retired jersey comment wrong though, was thinking of which team he would go into the HOF with.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, still a useful (and often dominant) player when available. I took your retired jersey comment wrong though, was thinking of which team he would go into the HOF with.

That's an interesting question too.

If I'm not mistaken, if a player has played for more than 1 team, he chooses which team he goes in with. Who does he choose?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting question too.

If I'm not mistaken, if a player has played for more than 1 team, he chooses which team he goes in with. Who does he choose?

If I were in his shoes, probably Indiana.

He had his best stint in OKC but only played two years.

His time with the Clippers is probably best forgotten...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were in his shoes, probably Indiana.

He had his best stint in OKC but only played two years.

His time with the Clippers is probably best forgotten...

Indy is where he has played the longest too.

But if memory serves, he didn't leave on great terms.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indy is where he has played the longest too.

But if memory serves, he didn't leave on great terms.

That's why I thought maybe his next team closes out his career on a high note? Whether that's LA, or going elsewhere to fortify a championship team (if he accepts a smaller contract). He could also be the vet leader on an emerging young team. Imagine the Grizz if they could work him into the roster to replace Brooks, or OKC? Houston? Orlando?