• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ricky Williams: I’d be a Hall of Famer if weed was legal

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? This is not bitching?

Williams said he would have been more focused on football if he hadn’t been worried about NFL drug tests. He also felt, after his failed drug tests became publicized, that he struggled to deal with the attention he got.

“I look at the amount of stress and things that distracted me from playing football surrounding cannabis,” Williams said. “Also the negative media coverage I got really tarnished my image.

Perhaps bitching is not the rt word, but he certainly has an axe to grind. It sounds like he needs to grow up. All of us put up with things in our job that we might not feel are justified, but at the end of the day they won't kill us.

He medicated his anti-social behavior, but they wouldn't let him. Only harsh drugs penned by gatekeepers are allowed.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league discriminated against him. You are correct that they are allowed to do so. Some people get discriminated against and move on. Some people get discriminated against and get all uppity about it. Ricky did his thing. And he's correct that he's allowed to call himself a "woulda been HoFer minus the discrimination."
He was most definitely not discriminated against, and if you think he was you need to look up the meaning of the word discriminate.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's edible and when it's legal crime goes down. Correct!
Right! Which is why we would have no more hunger or crime and world peace and we could all fly and be on a higher plane of consciousness if only pot were legal!

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AHEM. If only pot were legal, there would be world peace and we could all float around on clouds and there would be no more hunger and no more crime and everything would be perfect! But that evil government just wants to keep us from reaching that higher plane of consciousness, man!

Meh. It isn't a tonic for the troops. Doesn't solve evrything.

But it isn't an evil thing worthy of such disdain.

The "Antis" are living in the 1940's.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. It isn't a tonic for the troops. Doesn't solve evrything.

But it isn't an evil thing worthy of such disdain.

The "Antis" are living in the 1940's.
This I agree with. And although I've never ingested pot in any shape or form and have absolutely no desire to, I do wish it would just be legalized already, if for no other reason than to get the potheads to shut up about it.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was his performance poor because of the herb? That is really all that should matter.
Again, you are focusing on the wrong thing. It doesn't matter if it's an archaic rule that nobody agrees with. It's a rule and the player needs to follow it. If they don't, they don't get paid. Nobody should feel bad for any player that gets busted for weed. The player made the decision to ignore the rule, not the NFL.

Would you put down the pipe if it was going to cost you your livelihood?

Cripes! What the hell happened to accountability?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of the prediction made on another board of 'Ricky will set the single season CFL rushing record, without even trying!' He was only about 1500 yards shy.

Of course with the decriminalized herb in Canada, he should have doubled the record. Running on his hands.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you are focusing on the wrong thing. It doesn't matter if it's an archaic rule that nobody agrees with. It's a rule and the player needs to follow it. If they don't, they don't get paid. Nobody should feel bad for any player that gets busted for weed. The player made the decision to ignore the rule, not the NFL.

It's hard not to focus on stupid rules.....

If you don't they never change.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right! Which is why we would have no more hunger or crime and world peace and we could all fly and be on a higher plane of consciousness if only pot were legal!

Solving hunger and crime.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The league is responsible for hateful bylaws.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the fence on this. Not against marijuana per-say, especially not in this job. I can see the NFL's reluctance to say it's ok, as it is illegal, one of the groups that is stronger opposed to marijuana is mothers and that is a key demo for the NFL. So I can see why they are in no hurry to change that.

The other side is the drug test to me is more of an IQ test than anything. You have a 3 month window to stay clean. That's it. 1 test a year and you are good to go. No randoms (unless you are in the program). So to me the guys who do get busted are either

A. Morons.
B. Addicted (giving up a career over stopping for a few months).

Just my thoughts, but my "give a shit" attitude for those that fail is very low.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's dangerous to get mild concussions every week and not smoke weed. The league is criminally negligent here.
Can we nominate this for moronic post of the year?

Sorry to be so harsh, but there is really no other response. I've got to assume you are baked out of your mind, which is the only way you deserve a pass with that nonsense.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we nominate this for moronic post of the year?

Sorry to be so harsh, but there is really no other response. I've got to assume you are baked out of your mind, which is the only way you deserve a pass with that nonsense.
O to be called a moron by a twit.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13932750_1087848077970417_7365118278098402122_n.png

BAM

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's dangerous to get mild concussions every week and not smoke weed. The league is criminally negligent here.
thanks. As soon as I saw this thread title I knew I could count on you to make Ricky Williams not look like the dumbest guy on the topic...

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was a lush who kept it together he'd be fine.

But heaven forbid he's a pothead who kept it together.... Because his only issue was the herb. Not his performance.
His main issue is that he was lazy and lacked self control.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its so easy to be critical from the sidelines here.

But it's not a question of IF these NFL players need some kind of drugs, it's just a question of which drugs they're going to take. So many of you are very self righteous. It's not your pain throughout your entire body, it's not your constant headaches. So it's easy to say, "well take the horrible prescription drugs available to you or don't take anything at all."

Like Hank said, Ricky seems at peace with his decisions. And you know what? He should be. Even if some fans don't understand it. Watching interviews with him, he seems like easily one of the more healthy and cognitive ex football players. He just knows the truth, that drugs are a necessary evil of football and they all come with risks; marijuana - you risk your career, opiod pain killers - you risk your life.