• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DW said (at least) twice today that Schaffer is the main guy on Cuz. Greatly interests me. Hard to believe he endorsed last year's lowball.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins plays under the franchise tag in 2017, his $23.9 million base salary will easily be the highest in football. But because it would cost about $35 million to tag him again in 2018, the 28-year-old is in line to receive a huge long-term deal on the open market next spring.

That's if he can put together a strong 2017 season.

Cousins, who has ranked in the top eight when it comes to completion percentage, yards per attempt and passer rating while leading the Redskins to winning records in each of his first two seasons as a starter, is shamefully underrated. But you're only as good as your last season when you're living year to year in a league like this.

If a tagged Cousins again helps the Redskins put together a winning season while again ranking among the top five quarterbacks in key statistical categories, he could become the highest-paid player in NFL history early next year.

If instead the Redskins sink in the standings and Cousins comes back to earth statistically, he might struggle merely to find a starting job.

This truly is a make-or-break year for the former fourth-round pick out of Michigan State.

this is what wait and see can bring highest paid player in HISTORY . skins have gambled twice and lost shall we go 0-3 ? or be smart and get a reasonable deal ?

We got a front office that doesnt really want to admit they were wrong two years in a row, and five years over all on the QB position. Add in a healthy dose of the Dean fear (what if we pay him and the team struggles), and you got a team that knows they are either going to have to pay the man now, or pay him more later.

The only way the tag looks smart is if the team (and Kirk in particular) fails miserably.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got a front office that doesnt really want to admit they were wrong two years in a row, and five years over all on the QB position. Add in a healthy dose of the Dean fear (what if we pay him and the team struggles), and you got a team that knows they are either going to have to pay the man now, or pay him more later.

The only way the tag looks smart is if the team (and Kirk in particular) fails miserably.
I'm not even sure they look smart if he fails miserably. That means they paid over $40M for 2 years for a failed QB. They only way that could look smart is if they tagged him, traded him to SF for a couple of high picks and then he failed miserably.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure they look smart if he fails miserably. That means they paid over $40M for 2 years for a failed QB. They only way that could look smart is if they tagged him, traded him to SF for a couple of high picks and then he failed miserably.

Dude why, you know some one is going to read this and the results will be

Randy-Marsh-spooge.jpg

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Side note, we are talking about the Front office that gave up half a draft for a single player, and couldnt even come to grips with what a mistake THAT was. :thumb:

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the deal gk proposed is fair and there is a good possibility he doesn't sign it. Kc has a shot to really break the bank. YOu cant the Skins to come in a 30m right now.

Why do you believe "there is a good chance he doesn't sign it?"

Seriously, it is because of a stupid rumor you think you read about him wanting 30 mil a season? Shark and I wouldn't even give him that unless it was 20, 25, 25, 25, 55 mil because his ass would be cut before seeing 55.

Oh, and why do you believe Carr would accept a fair deal and KC wouldn't?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you believe "there is a good chance he doesn't sign it?"

Seriously, it is because of a stupid rumor you think you read about him wanting 30 mil a season? Shark and I wouldn't even give him that unless it was 20, 25, 25, 25, 55 mil because his ass would be cut before seeing 55.

Oh, and why do you believe Carr would accept a fair deal and KC wouldn't?

Because no matter what Carr signs for, it wont prevent the Redskins from chasing Darnold.

If Kirk signs, the dream dies.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breed... please continue with the middle school name calling and remind me again how our defense wasnt historically bad??

You been figured out bro. You like to argue and cant accept the fact that you do sound like a hater when it comes to the subject of Kirk Cousins. Its not twisting the facts that any slight complement of Cousins sparks a book report of why we are butter cup nut huggers of Cousins and dont really see that the team would be much better off continuing to chase elite.

But as always, thanks for chiming in. Despite our disagreements on the subject of the QB, still love ya like a brother. :suds:

The middle school name calling is appropriate as it matches your middle school rationale as to why some are hesitant on signing Cousins to a LTD. Far as the defense goes. Where did I say the defense wasn't historically bad? Show me where I said that and I'll give you 100 dollars. For now I'll chalk up you thinking I said that to your shitty comprehension skills.

The only reason I sound like a Kirk Cousins hater to you is because you're a Kirk Cousins groupie. A groupie of such magnitude that you're willing to outright lie and disparage entire teams and their accomplishments. Just to support and prop up your boy.

We don't have a disagreement over a QB, man. We have a fundamental difference in how we go about supporting what we support. And if you have to stoop to lying over what in the big picture. Is the inconsequential thing of who QBs the Washington Redskins. That's a shame.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The middle school name calling is appropriate as it matches your middle school rationale as to why some are hesitant on signing Cousins to a LTD. Far as the defense goes. Where did I say the defense wasn't historically bad? Show me where I said that and I'll give you 100 dollars. For now I'll chalk up you thinking I said that to your shitty comprehension skills.

The only reason I sound like a Kirk Cousins hater to you is because you're a Kirk Cousins groupie. A groupie of such magnitude that you're willing to outright lie and disparage entire teams and their accomplishments. Just to support and prop up your boy.

We don't have a disagreement over a QB, man. We have a fundamental difference in how we go about supporting what we support. And if you have to stoop to lying over what in the big picture. Is the inconsequential thing of who QBs the Washington Redskins. That's a shame.

Check post 1556 of this thread. I mentioned that Kirk was trying to cover for a historically bad defense, your response to me saying the defense was historically bad was

How so??

That implies you question that the defense was historically bad.

Again you sound like a hater because you have an agenda.

Cousins signing long term kills the dream of us chasing elite. As i said, you sound like a hater, and will twist any positive said about Cousins and why we should resign him into a pissing match of why Cousins really isnt that good.

We get it, you want to chase elite. I suspect you got desire for us to stay in a position to try and trade up for Darnold.

And you take offense in me saying you sound like a Cowboys fan, because ya do homes.

Keep your hundred by the way, IM good on my end boss.

So IM calling it, you dont want the team to sign Cousins, because it would likely mean no chasing elite. Exactly why you are so dead set against Cousins besides this, thats between you and the guy in the mirror.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the front office could have settled this 3 years ago at a much more reasonable price if BA had not killed it PERIOD . if we lose him whether by KC's own alleged greed or low ball efforts of the FO i will hold the FO responsible for botching this from the beginning . they gambled and they lost , any overpay falls squarely on their shoulders

That's absolute nonsense dad. So now you are blaming the FO for not offering him a LTD 3 years ago? So even if they offer KC a very very fair deal and KC turns it down, the front office, team, and fanbase deserves it? Nah. Even Shark admits no other team (including us obviously) was going to offer him a blockbuster deal after the 2015 season, much less before then. But oh yeah, I forgot. Dan didn't invite him over to the mansion for brandy and cigars after he won a few games for us. C'mon man!!!

Some of you folks have as much hate for Allen and Dan as the rest of us have question marks about KC. Get over the FO hatred. It's a business, just because you don't think things haven't been handled correctly doesn't mean they haven't.

By the way, you still haven't found a reputable article from late 2015/early 2016 that says we screwed up royally by not offering him big money. Find me a quote from someone in the business (not us fanboys) that said that...

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we want Darnold, trade KC and start McCoy and Sudfeld. We will be choosing 1.

Quite a few around here would love that you know.

Funny thing is, even if we did that, I think we are just screwed enough to still finish 6-10 and in position to give up 3 firsts, a second and a 3rd in order to trade up.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's absolute nonsense dad. So now you are blaming the FO for not offering him a LTD 3 years ago? Even Shark admits no other team including us was going to offer him a blockbuster deal after the 2015 season, much less before then..oh yeah, I forgot Dan didn't invite him over to the mansion for brandy and cigars after he won a few games for us. C'mon man!!!

Some of you folks have as much hate for Allen and Dan as the rest of us have question marks about KC. Get over the FO hatred. It's a business, just because you don't think things haven't been handled correctly doesn't mean they haven't.

You know, I was fine with them not offering him a big deal going into 2016. I thought it was a mistake, but I understood why. From a team standpoint, the tag made sense. We had already made a huge mistake that gave us a one year wonder. And not signing Kirk long term had its merits.

Right now, the only really reasons not to nut up and do what it takes to sign him long term are

1. you expect Kirk AND the entire roster to fail

2. You want to maintain the ability to trade up if the team doesnt fail, but also doesnt improve to an acceptable level.

If Kirk is on a long term deal and we finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs, you can not reasonable consider a block buster trade up.

If we finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs, but Kirk is not signed long term, you can make an argument for doing another RG3 trade... probably worse.

Kirk long term means the only way we delve into a first round QB is if the team failed spectacularly.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check post 1556 of this thread. I mentioned that Kirk was trying to cover for a historically bad defense, your response to me saying the defense was historically bad was

How so??

That implies you question that the defense was historically bad.

Did I dispute or say your claim about the Redskins defense was incorrect or bullshit? No, I did not. What my question implies is one of the other of two things.

1) What did Kirk do to overcome the historically bad defense?

2) How was the defense historically bad?

Are you really that dense that you think I didn't know how bad the defense was in most facets of the game? I was just wondering if you could articulate in your own words in what aspects the Redskins defense was so bad. Or how Kirk was able to overcome that bad defense.

No surprise. You were unable to do so.

Again you sound like a hater because you have an agenda.

Cousins signing long term kills the dream of us chasing elite. As i said, you sound like a hater, and will twist any positive said about Cousins and why we should resign him into a pissing match of why Cousins really isnt that good.

We get it, you want to chase elite. I suspect you got desire for us to stay in a position to try and trade up for Darnold.

I don't dream of chasing elite. That idea like your argument is just fuckin stupid. My fears of Cousins signing a long term deal have to do with my worrying that he's as good as he's gonna get. That he'll always have trouble against good teams. That he'll always be prone to the big turnover at the worst time or come up small at the biggest moment in the game. Those are my fears. Not some asinine bullshit of killing a dream of chasing elite. WTF did you even get that ass backwards nonsense.

Stop trying to sound smart with that you suspect I have a desire to try and get Darnold bullshit. You suspect that because I've posted favorably about Darold on this board. I like Darnold. He's got moxie. But I've also put some shit on the things I've said about Darnold to purposely rile up the fan-boys a little. On the f0orilla. He's had one good year in college ball when nobody knew who the hell he was. Lets at least wait till after next year to see what he's does before we start calling him the chosen one.
And you take offense in me saying you sound like a Cowboys fan, because ya do homes.

Keep your hundred by the way, IM good on my end boss.

So IM calling it, you dont want the team to sign Cousins, because it would likely mean no chasing elite. Exactly why you are so dead set against Cousins besides this, thats between you and the guy in the mirror.

I take offense to you being a lying fuckin ass. Who doesn't even have the balls or decency to own up to it after it was exposed. I dunno how y'all roll in ypur neck of the woods, but out yonder over here. We call that a straight up bitch move right there.

I take offense to you calling yourself a lifelong Redskins fan. Yet you can so easily write some bullshit and lies about the first Redskins Super Bowl team. Straight up bitch move x 2 right there.

You're a Cousins fan-boy not a Washington Redskins fan.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few around here would love that you know.

Funny thing is, even if we did that, I think we are just screwed enough to still finish 6-10 and in position to give up 3 firsts, a second and a 3rd in order to trade up.

I don't see us winning more than 3 with those 2.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I dispute or say your claim about the Redskins defense was incorrect or bullshit? No, I did not. What my question implies is one of the other of two things.

1) What did Kirk do to overcome the historically bad defense?

2) How was the defense historically bad?

Are you really that dense that you think I didn't know how bad the defense was in most facets of the game? I was just wondering if you could articulate in your own words in what aspects the Redskins defense was so bad. Or how Kirk was able to overcome that bad defense.

No surprise. You were unable to do so.

I don't dream of chasing elite. That idea like your argument is just fuckin stupid. My fears of Cousins signing a long term deal have to do with my worrying that he's as good as he's gonna get. That he'll always have trouble against good teams. That he'll always be prone to the big turnover at the worst time or come up small at the biggest moment in the game. Those are my fears. Not some asinine bullshit of killing a dream of chasing elite. WTF did you even get that ass backwards nonsense.

Stop trying to sound smart with that you suspect I have a desire to try and get Darnold bullshit. You suspect that because I've posted favorably about Darold on this board. I like Darnold. He's got moxie. But I've also put some shit on the things I've said about Darnold to purposely rile up the fan-boys a little. On the f0orilla. He's had one good year in college ball when nobody knew who the hell he was. Lets at least wait till after next year to see what he's does before we start calling him the chosen one.

I take offense to you being a lying fuckin ass. Who doesn't even have the balls or decency to own up to it after it was exposed. I dunno how y'all roll in ypur neck of the woods, but out yonder over here. We call that a straight up bitch move right there.

I take offense to you calling yourself a lifelong Redskins fan. Yet you can so easily write some bullshit and lies about the first Redskins Super Bowl team. Straight up bitch move x 2 right there.

You're a Cousins fan-boy not a Washington Redskins fan.

Another book report filled with juvenile insults by Breed... where to start???

point one.

I freely admit Kirk was NOT good enough to overcome a historically bad defense Never said or implied he was.

Point two
Do I really need to pull up the stats of how our defense was historically bad when compared to the history of the team, hell to a degree to the NFL. The team reaction should be enough to prove just how bad even the front office thought this defense was.

6 of 10 draft picks, and the first three went to defense. And yet you think the real issue was the QB. We added two D-lineman an ILB, and a safety via free agency. And yet I need to explain exactly how bad this defense was.

Point three... when did I lie?? I simply stated that alot of the we cant sign Kirk folks tend to twist things to fit their argument. And you sir are a prime example. So you want to question my fan status because I think its rather stupid to risk going back into a situation where we most likely need to trade up for a QB out of desperation again?? You play the juvenile name game because I happen to think that the team would be better off rolling with a QB that has been better than anything we have had in 20 years. And that makes me a fan boy nut hugger because I think the team is better off not going back into the abyss??

I await your next master thesis.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see us winning more than 3 with those 2.

So if Kirk alone is the difference between 3 wins and nine, and we know the defense cost us at a minimum 3 wins.... why on earth would any one really want to risk losing Kirk instead of paying him and improving the real problem with the team??

IM just curious.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Kirk alone is the difference between 3 wins and nine, and we know the defense cost us at a minimum 3 wins.... why on earth would any one really want to risk losing Kirk instead of paying him and improving the real problem with the team??

IM just curious.

Fair question. What was the record of back up QBs last season I wonder.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With or without the Patriots less than 17 points per game given up defense??

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cousins is hypothetically traded, McCoy becomes the starter - not a backup - so I'm not sure what the point of your question is. Cousins is a better QB than McCoy, and McCoy sucked in his early years in the NFL, but at this point in their careers, I think people are vastly overrating the difference between Cousins and McCoy - considering McCoy's ability to extend plays. I think Cousins has solid mobility, but he doesn't use it to extend plays. Granted, Cousins has a better arm and a bigger body.