• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cousins is hypothetically traded, McCoy becomes the starter - not a backup - so I'm not sure what the point of your question is. Cousins is a better QB than McCoy, and McCoy sucked in his early years in the NFL, but at this point in their careers, I think people are vastly overrating the difference between Cousins and McCoy - considering McCoy's ability to extend plays. I think Cousins has solid mobility, but he doesn't use it to extend plays. Granted, Cousins has a better arm and a bigger body.

Colt McCoy

Seriously? I hope that this post is a joke. McCoy has barely been on the field in the last 5 seasons. Sure he had that miracle game in 2014 vs. DAL & a few other games but basically nothing beyond that. Prior to that he played two pretty average to bad years w/ the Browns & one season w/ CLE where he basically didn't play. This all adds up to seven seasons of basically doing nothing. No doubt if he had true potential he would have had some more game experience by now.

Cousins may not be the greatest, but to compare him to McCoy or stating that McCoy is underrated is laughable.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few around here would love that you know.

Funny thing is, even if we did that, I think we are just screwed enough to still finish 6-10 and in position to give up 3 firsts, a second and a 3rd in order to trade up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...first-round-of-nfl-draft-since-2000/98734644/

Or miss out on Darnold & believe that several of the other QBs are good enough to lead the team. History shows us that some of these guys will succeed but many more will fail (& the Redskins don't have to look far for examples of the latter).

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you believe "there is a good chance he doesn't sign it?"

Seriously, it is because of a stupid rumor you think you read about him wanting 30 mil a season? Shark and I wouldn't even give him that unless it was 20, 25, 25, 25, 55 mil because his ass would be cut before seeing 55.

Oh, and why do you believe Carr would accept a fair deal and KC wouldn't?

already explained that. IF he plays well this year he can break the bank with another team in FA. I don't think both QB's will sign a LTD right now unless its a huge offer. IMO Kc does not accept the deal you proposed b/c he knows he can get a lot more if he plays well this year. He would be betting on himself again this year. This is why if 7/15 passes with no deal you have to look at trade partners.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
List of QBs selected in first round of NFL draft since 2000

Or miss out on Darnold & believe that several of the other QBs are good enough to lead the team. History shows us that some of these guys will succeed but many more will fail (& the Redskins don't have to look far for examples of the latter).

Got to wonder, if we dont sign Kirk how many of these guys will be willing to do what ever it takes in an attempt to trade up for Darnold.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to wonder, if we dont sign Kirk how many of these guys will be willing to do what ever it takes in an attempt to trade up for Darnold.

Did you see the NFL forum board. they have something on this.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt McCoy

Seriously? I hope that this post is a joke. McCoy has barely been on the field in the last 5 seasons. Sure he had that miracle game in 2014 vs. DAL & a few other games but basically nothing beyond that. Prior to that he played two pretty average to bad years w/ the Browns & one season w/ CLE where he basically didn't play. This all adds up to seven seasons of basically doing nothing. No doubt if he had true potential he would have had some more game experience by now.

Cousins may not be the greatest, but to compare him to McCoy or stating that McCoy is underrated is laughable.
LOL, I even put in bold that Cousins is better just to avoid an over-reaction like that... While I realize that preseason ain't the regular season, we've all got to see McCoy play quite a lot, and you can tell whether a guy can play or not. Colt can play at an acceptable NFL level, imo. And Cooley's said the same. People might not like Cooley, but he knows a lot more about football than you and I do.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
already explained that. IF he plays well this year he can break the bank with another team in FA. I don't think both QB's will sign a LTD right now unless its a huge offer. IMO Kc does not accept the deal you proposed b/c he knows he can get a lot more if he plays well this year. He would be betting on himself again this year. This is why if 7/15 passes with no deal you have to look at trade partners.

If he plays well this season, he will get a market deal next season.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I even put in bold that Cousins is better just to avoid an over-reaction like that... While I realize that preseason ain't the regular season, we've all got to see McCoy play quite a lot, and you can tell whether a guy can play or not. Colt can play at an acceptable NFL level, imo. And Cooley's said the same. People might not like Cooley, but he knows a lot more about football than you and I do.

Tiny with a noodle arm. He is a backup without pocket presence. He sucked in Cleveland and will suck here as a starter. There is a reason he is a career backup. Unless you are an incredibly good defense, you are doomed with your backup...

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he plays well this season, he will get a market deal next season.

but if Stafford and Carr also hit the market then there is a bidding war

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So let me make sure I got you here. We should have simply let Kirk walk, and started McCoy?? And worst case, we are probably in position to draft a QB in the top ten next year right?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, just because you played football at a high level doesn't mean you know football better than others. After all, Bellicheck didn't play.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad its just practice because Cousins has sucked so far throwing a couple interceptions

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, if Stafford and Carr hit the market, that reduces the war. Supply and demand there buddy.

true but what if there are 5 teams in the market looking for QB's. The deal KC would get in 2018 will be larger then what the Skins offer right now. Right?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true but what if there are 5 teams in the market looking for QB's. The deal KC would get in 2018 will be larger then what the Skins offer right now. Right?

Actually, the market would get set and teams go from there. When there are a lot of options, teams may be cheaper. It gets even more interesting from there. If the QBs were to wait until after the draft to sign, then the first round QBs would likely take them out of the bidding for the services of those three. That being said, it won't come to that because Oakland and Detroit have the option to tag.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing multiple interceptions don't care if its practice or not this is definitely not what you want to hear from a QB who wants a big longterm deal

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the market would get set and teams go from there. When there are a lot of options, teams may be cheaper. It gets even more interesting from there. If the QBs were to wait until after the draft to sign, then the first round QBs would likely take them out of the bidding for the services of those three. That being said, it won't come to that because Oakland and Detroit have the option to tag.

I forgot about the option tags.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's absolute nonsense dad. So now you are blaming the FO for not offering him a LTD 3 years ago? So even if they offer KC a very very fair deal and KC turns it down, the front office, team, and fanbase deserves it? Nah. Even Shark admits no other team (including us obviously) was going to offer him a blockbuster deal after the 2015 season, much less before then. But oh yeah, I forgot. Dan didn't invite him over to the mansion for brandy and cigars after he won a few games for us. C'mon man!!!

Some of you folks have as much hate for Allen and Dan as the rest of us have question marks about KC. Get over the FO hatred. It's a business, just because you don't think things haven't been handled correctly doesn't mean they haven't.

By the way, you still haven't found a reputable article from late 2015/early 2016 that says we screwed up royally by not offering him big money. Find me a quote from someone in the business (not us fanboys) that said that...
SM negotiated a deal with KC that was KILLED by Allen . that is fact the deal would have paid 16 mil per season and i have posted this several times when dean gets amnesia and i guess you havent read it even though its in this thread

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SM negotiated a deal with KC that was KILLED by Allen . that is fact the deal would have paid 16 mil per season and i have posted this several times when dean gets amnesia and i guess you havent read it even though its in this thread

Dad...where is this at? I would like to read it. I must have missed it.