• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im fine with a LTD at a decent number. I don't think it will happen before 7/15. KC is crazy to sign anything right now. Unless Dan does something crazy. You think its easy to get a LTD done with KC right now and its not.

Actually its real easy..

Bruce: Hey Kirk, whats it going to take to get a long term deal done??

Kirk: Well here are my numbers. $xxx million guaranteed, $xxx Million in total value, X number of years.

Bruce: OK Deal.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually its real easy..

Bruce: Hey Kirk, whats it going to take to get a long term deal done??

Kirk: Well here are my numbers. $xxx million guaranteed, $xxx Million in total value, X number of years.

Bruce: OK Deal.

lol. yea right.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A LTD at a decent number. I said wait and see b/c I don't think KC wants a decent number. He wants a big number. Plus a trade in season is very possible.
Dean, a mid season trade is highly unlikely. Kiem presented it as a possibility but the probability is very very low. Don't get caught down that rat hole.

As Shark has said, there will be no serious trade partners for him mid season given he will be a FA at the end of the year. IT makes no sense. SF knows they are in the driver's seat if he hits FA. No way they are giving up a 1st mid season seeing as they won't have to do that if they wait. While there might be a bidding war, SF has the money and influence to win that war hands down. They know this. Put yourselves in their shoes......

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins would know that we cant get a ltd done with KC so we should get draft picks. That is not possible?

Again, how bad would the team have to be.

Say Kirk is on the tag, and we are 6-1 going into week eight. Do you still trade him knowing that we dont have him on a long term deal??

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, fair enough on 2015. The FO rolled the dice and lost. But you can bet your ass they are considering that ($20 mill on the tag they already paid) when talking about the guaranteed money they are willing to pay right now. I get it and agree. $27 million is low. But $60-65 million is too high IMO. Somewhere in the middle is more fair for both sides.

And if Washington wasn't the only team not sold on KC then why are guys giving them so much hell for not signing him to a big $$ deal last year? How is it that he was so disrespected at that point?? I understand we offered a lowball contract last year, but it's obvious to me that he wouldn't have signed for less than $20 million a year last year. As you guys put it...why would he??

Again dude, they bet against him and lost, then decided to double down.

If they are miffed over the 20M they already paid him and want him to take less because they already paid him, thats a weak hand and you know it. As I said before, would you take a pay cut next year because your boss gave you a bonus last year??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, how bad would the team have to be.

Say Kirk is on the tag, and we are 6-1 going into week eight. Do you still trade him knowing that we dont have him on a long term deal??

If we are 6-1 that would mean KC is dominating. So no a trade would not be in the cards and Danny will throw the kitchen sink at him next offseason.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again dude, they bet against him and lost, then decided to double down.

If they are miffed over the 20M they already paid him and want him to take less because they already paid him, thats a weak hand and you know it. As I said before, would you take a pay cut next year because your boss gave you a bonus last year??

I'm confused in you saying this over and over again. How is he taking a pay cut if his APY is equal to this years tag #?? How is it a bad deal if they give him 2X the tag in guarantees (48 million)? As you have said, they exclusive tagged him this year because they felt another team would pull the trigger on him. They feel like they could reach a LTD before 7/15 or at least before FA next year. I don't see how there is anything wrong with that or how a $24 APY is taking a pay cut??

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he wants to fit FA. Just my opinion. The only way he signs a LTD right now is if Danny offers him a huge deal. 25 yes but that would be the highest.

So you are basing your opinion off of nothing? There is no reason to believe KC would not accept a fair market deal.

Im fine with a LTD at a decent number. I don't think it will happen before 7/15. KC is crazy to sign anything right now. Unless Dan does something crazy. You think its easy to get a LTD done with KC right now and its not.

Why is KC crazy to sign anything right now, if a fair offer is made?

It is very easy to get a LTD done. Make a fair offer and show commitment.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are basing your opinion off of nothing? There is no reason to believe KC would not accept a fair market deal.

Why is KC crazy to sign anything right now, if a fair offer is made?

It is very easy to get a LTD done. Make a fair offer and show commitment.

its crazy b/c he knows that multiple teams would bid on him in Fa that would drive his price up.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its crazy b/c he knows that multiple teams would bid on him in Fa that would drive his price up.

Definitely, I may be wrong but I am expecting a "fair" offer to be made before 7/15. I (like you) don't think he will sign it unless it is a very, very, VERY good offer.

If that happens, the mudslinging will really begin...you guys think I'm a hater now...I'm not. But I will be a very unhappy Redskins fan if he does this. We shall see.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely, I may be wrong but I am expecting a "fair" offer to be made before 7/15. I (like you) don't think he will sign it unless it is a very, very, VERY good offer.

If that happens, the mudslinging will really begin...you guys think I'm a hater now...I'm not. But I will be a very unhappy Redskins fan if he does this. We shall see.

I agree. With Danny involved we just don't know what will happen. We don't even know if a fair offer was given to KC. there were reports that they met KC agent face to face. So no offer was talked about in that conversation? hard to believe.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, fair enough on 2015. The FO rolled the dice and lost. But you can bet your ass they are considering that ($20 mill on the tag they already paid) when talking about the guaranteed money they are willing to pay right now. I get it and agree. $27 million is low. But $60-65 million is too high IMO. Somewhere in the middle is more fair for both sides.

And if Washington wasn't the only team not sold on KC then why are guys giving them so much hell for not signing him to a big $$ deal last year? How is it that he was so disrespected at that point?? I understand we offered a lowball contract last year, but it's obvious to me that he wouldn't have signed for less than $20 million a year last year. As you guys put it...why would he??

Why would you think they are considering the 20 million they already gave him? That is in the past and a bargain price.

How is it fair to KC to accept 2 years in guaranteed salary and get no signing bonus, when everybody else gets 2 years and a signing bonus? A fair deal is in the 23-25 mil a year range with 60 mil in guarantees. That is a fair deal.

20 mil a season was fair last season. If another team didn't have to give up the picks and the money, they would have jumped at 20 mil a season.

I'm confused in you saying this over and over again. How is he taking a pay cut if his APY is equal to this years tag #?? How is it a bad deal if they give him 2X the tag in guarantees (48 million)? As you have said, they exclusive tagged him this year because they felt another team would pull the trigger on him. They feel like they could reach a LTD before 7/15 or at least before FA next year. I don't see how there is anything wrong with that or how a $24 APY is taking a pay cut??

24 mil a season isn't a pay cut. Nobody is claiming it is.

2 years of salary is foolish for him to sign because he gets no signing bonus. Andrew Luck was paid 44 million the moment he signed because of a 12 million dollar 2016 salary and a 32 million dollar signing bonus. He is guaranteed 87 million over the course of the contract.

So you think it is fair for KC to accept 20 million less at signing and more than 30 million less in guarantees? Yes, that is being underpaid.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There will be multiple teams bidding if he waits...unless he gets hurt. He signs a fair deal today, as every QB does every time as a protection in the event of injury.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are 6-1 that would mean KC is dominating. So no a trade would not be in the cards and Danny will throw the kitchen sink at him next offseason.

6-1 means the team is dominating. There are many ways this happens...it isn't jut the QB.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be multiple teams bidding if he waits...unless he gets hurt. He signs a fair deal today, as every QB does every time as a protection in the event of injury.

its not that simple. So you think a deal get done before 7/15?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not that simple. So you think a deal get done before 7/15?

I think if the team makes a fair deal of 24 mil a season with 60 mil in guarantees, a deal will get done. 30 mil signing bonus, 15 mil year 1 and 2 salaries...maybe a touch more guaranteed. KC would get nearly 40 mil at signing.

And yes...it is that simple.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the team makes a fair deal of 24 mil a season with 60 mil in guarantees, a deal will get done. 30 mil signing bonus, 15 mil year 1 and 2 salaries...maybe a touch more guaranteed. KC would get nearly 40 mil at signing.

And yes...it is that simple.

He could turn that down. That is why I don't think it gets done. I agree its a fair deal. It should have been already offered.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because the APY means nothing if the guarantee isnt right. I get it people want the Skins to write him a deal they can get out of eas if things go south. But with a team that has shown a tendency to chase the shiny new things, I simply dont blame Kirk for wanting a little more in guaranteed money.

Also the $20M he was already paid, people tend to forget, they had already committed $16M on the QB position, they just shifted that money from RG3 to Kirk and had to add $4m to it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...they could have let him walk before the first tag ..no?? If KC was so sure that he would have gotten a better offer then why did he sign the tender? Why did he not test the waters? Simple. He knew he wouldn't get a better offer than the $20 million he made in the tag. You can't criticize the FO for not signing him to a LTD after 2015 yet call foul on KC being disrespected when he didn't even test the waters. The only way he would have gotten a contract in that range was if it was from a crappy team.

and that means what now ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They run the risk of getting outbid by other teams. why cant you see this?
geez loiuse , dean they are in great cap shape , i doubt they get outbid but if they do then what do the 49ers do ? i would say draft a qb