• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic trade scenarios for Alex Smith

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Smith - QB - 49ers

Appearing on NFL 32, ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested that the 49ers would accept a fourth-round pick for Alex Smith.
"There hasn't been a real hot market," said Mortensen. "Bottom line is there's not gonna be a lot of suitors for him. ... Maybe a fourth-rounder gets it done." Although his statistics under quarterback-guru coach Jim Harbaugh might lead fans to believe otherwise, Smith is not highly regarded around the NFL. He's viewed as a borderline starter and short-term stopgap solution.

don't see anything wrong with these comments, at least half this board feels the same way? the bottom line IS what other GM's think of Alex Smith? how he'll perform in THEIR scheme, on their team? these other factors (not a good draft for QB's, no quality FA's, his cap hit) are small factors.

if we were the GM of KC, Clev, or whomever, we wouldn't rush to obtain Alex either.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't see anything wrong with these comments, at least half this board feels the same way? the bottom line IS what other GM's think of Alex Smith? how he'll perform in THEIR scheme, on their team? these other factors (not a good draft for QB's, no quality FA's, his cap hit) are small factors.

if we were the GM of KC, Clev, or whomever, we wouldn't rush to obtain Alex either.

I would. :) But yeah, I know. We means majority. I would as a GM, with those available right now and him at 20th in pay, get him as a stop gap but remain more open to more if he started showing things. I'm obviously not qualified to be a GM, but you were saying 'we'... so that's just my opinion. I obviously would want to give the lowest draft pick as I could, so I would wait it out as long as I could.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like any player, it only takes one GM to fall in love with him and doesn't want to potentially lose him if he gets to free agency.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, this guy was in the league a long time before doing well (moderately). His rookie year was better than Alex's (who's wasn't?) but his first few years were similar in general. Smith had better numbers and this guy had more INTs than TDs for longer. He finally got to the Super Bowl to lose to John Elway. He had a 21-40 TD/INT ratio through 4 years before getting a 15-15 year and had a 149-106 ratio afterwards (170/146 total). He eventually got to 1.1% INT percentage for one short year.

Chris Chandler NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible Destinations

Has no sources for a lot of what he says, but it states some corroboration of things that we would assume, that the team is talking to agents as if the 8.5 million is freed (Alex traded). It also talks about interested communications with Kansas City.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good.

USA Today reports that the Eagles and Chiefs indeed discussed a trade that would send Nick Foles to Kansas City this week.
A source tells USA Today's Mike Garafolo that "no progress has been made," but that obviously is subject to change. The Eagles are reportedly "conveying" to the Chiefs that they plan to keep Foles, likely in order to maintain leverage in future trade negotiations. It's believed Philadelphia would accept a second-day draft pick for Foles. He was the 88th overall pick last April.
Related: Chiefs
Source: USA Today Feb 23 - 11:28 AM

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh: 49ers may keep Alex Smith but would entertain trade offer - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

This has a lot more quotes than the other ones. Similar information.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...trade-value-brandon-weedens-ceiling-more-buzz

One sentence maybe is over the top and I don't like the last one, but it's probably true. I feel like it would help get him somewhere, but then hurt once he gets there. But it remains the same, if you want your job perform well and if you want to keep it, it has to be better than the guy behind you, and it wasn't here. Be professional, don't burn bridges, but let your preferences known privately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What is Alex Smith's trade value? San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said it's "unlikely" his team cuts Smith. The Niners will try to trade him, but Harbaugh said the other option is that the quarterback will remain on the team for 2013. Don't bet on it. One NFL general manager estimated San Francisco could receive a second-round pick for Smith, provided the trade partner believes Smith could be the franchise's quarterback for any length of time. That's pricey, but if a team thinks Smith is the answer for more than one year, that's worth it. Clubs realize there aren't a ton of answers at quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft. While you'd have to trade for Smith and then draft someone, too, teams know the former 49ers starter won't tear apart the locker room if he ends up getting beat out.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City Chiefs eyeing Alex Smith, Luke Joeckel

1) The Kansas City Chiefs like Alex Smith, Luke Joeckel. The Chiefs are in the full evaluation mode of the entire organization, with general manager John Dorsey still in the process of figuring out the team he has. But word is starting to leak of their interest in the San Francisco 49ers' backup quarterback. At this point, based on what I'm hearing, Kansas City has shown more interest than anyone else in dealing for a quarterback who could step in and start from Day 1 while the rest of the franchise is rebuilt. The 49ers spent this week trying to lay ground for a Smith deal, and they'll do the same next week before trading becomes an official option on March 12, when free agency begins.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB Alex Smith. The 49ers feel confident they will trade him before Smith is owed a $1 million on March 15. The scuttlebutt from the combine was that the recompense *might* be a high fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft. The question now is whether another team comes forward with a better offer.

Read more here: 49ers Blog and Q&A: Who stays? Where things stand on key 49ers

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the realistic trade options for Alex Smith? Not everyone will agree, but IMO he's a top 20 QB in the NFL. He's only 28. He doesn't make much for a starting QB. Great teacher/teammate.

Also, keep in mind that Matt Cassel was traded for an early 2nd round pick. Matt Schaub was traded for two 2nd round picks. Charlie Whithurst was traded by swapping 2nd round picks(a 20 spot improvement for SD) and a 3rd round pick. Kevin Kolb was traded for a 2nd round pick and DRC, a CB who was in the pro bowl two seasons prior.

Here are some realistic scenarios to me:
1) To Philly for Nnamdi Asomugha (along with renegotiated contract)
2) Swapping 2nd Round pick with KC and another pick
3) Swapping 2nd round pick with Philly and another pick
2) To KC for Eric Berry
3) To KC with 4th round pick for Brandon Flowers
4) To KC for 3rd round pick
5) To Philly for 3rd round pick

I guess I went lower than expected on these projections...

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone of those scenarios is unrealistic.
Realistically we might get a 5th round pick from the Browns or Chiefs.

You should lose your posting privileges for at least a week. Or if you have the guts you could just admit how dumb this post now looks, and how completely wrong you were.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be proven that people on this board value Smith much more than actual NFL personnel guys. Most of those scenarios are unrealistic. We'd be lucky to get a 4th.

Gonna bump this post too. Let some peoples football IQ hang out there.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should lose your posting privileges for at least a week. Or if you have the guts you could just admit how dumb this post now looks, and how completely wrong you were.

Give Ray a break. Who would've thought the Chiefs would be this stupid?

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Ray a break. Who would've thought the Chiefs would be this stupid?

Saying we "might" get a 5th rounder, as if that was the best case scenario was pretty dumb though. I didn't expect a 2nd rounder, but I thought 3rd was VERY possible.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying we "might" get a 5th rounder, as if that was the best case scenario was pretty dumb though. I didn't expect a 2nd rounder, but I thought 3rd was VERY possible.

I was expecting more like 4th round, which is basically a late 3rd rounder in this year's draft. This is a King's ransom for Alex Smith. I hope the reports are true.