• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic trade scenarios for Alex Smith

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think this thread should have been called the "un" Realistic trade scenarios for Alex Smith.

I am sure one of us could have nailed it with that approach.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then you probably know about as much about football as the others who said we'd be lucky to get a 4th/5th rounder for him.

Blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah
blah blah
blah
blah

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are underselling the Chiefs talent. They have 2 quality backs, a really good WR with some decent secondary WR's, a good TE and a defense that is OK if they get healthy. I think KC is probably a 8-9 win team with Smith at QB but remeber that the Chiefs will playing a last place schedule and their division, aside from Denver, is pretty bad. Not out of the realm IMO for them to win 10 games next year if their D gets all its pieces back. Chiefs lost 6 games last year by one score or less so realistically they arent that far removed from being a decent team. Plus the #1 pick is a difference maker whther they draft with it or trade down and recoup the picks they traded for Alex. Its not like it doesnt happen EVERY year in the NFL where a bad team makes a HUGE jump.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reid's offense is dink and dunk. smith might end up like 20 td's and 0 int

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then you probably know about as much about football as the others who said we'd be lucky to get a 4th/5th rounder for him.

Who are you?

Oh now I remember.

You're the guy who said we were going to get the first pick of the second round and a conditional third rounder from which could be bumped to a second rounder in 2014. Good job.

Oh wait - No. I don't think you're that guy because no one on this forum even came close to predicting that KC was going to pony up such high picks.

Did you want to add anything else - make any other predictions? Or will you just wait around for everything to play out and say I told you so when you didn't say anything up front? I thought so.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, guys, let's stop fighting about who was right or wrong. Let's just be happy we found someone to give us these quality draft picks for Smith. As we have saw with the '80s Niners and '90s Cowboys, stockpiling draft picks can be the first step to a dynasty.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the trade for Kolb was worse. I was adamant about how overrated he was on the Eagles.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does anyone think this is a bad trade for KC?? Serious question. If KC doesnt make the trade for Smith they are either going to take an unproven QB WAY too high at #1 OR trade back for an extra pick and get an even more unproven guy. As is they get a solid ( if unspectacular) starting QB who is a proven game manager on a team that has a really good stable of backs. They still have the number 1 pick where they can address a real need or trade back and get back the picks they used to get Smith. Ask yourself this, if Smith was in the draft this year would he be the number 1 QB taken??? Of course he would be. I think both teams came out great. SF stockpiles even more picks on top of their surplus they already had, they dump salary and KC gets the BEST available QB, a guy who has proven he can win in the NFL and all it costs them is a few picks that they can get back if they want to.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean compared to trades for AJ Feeley, Kevin Kolb, Charlie Whitehurst etc this trade is a HUGE win.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I stand by my assertion that KC is making one of the worst trades of all time by giving up this much for him (if in fact that was the full terms of the trade), especially with the favorable rookie contracts. I'm still highly skeptical that we didn't give them anything.

But if this is the case, it is clearly a desperate short sighted move by K.C.'s FO to try and keep their jobs. They are completely overpaying for a stop gap QB. The Alex Smith they were looking at under Harbaugh (protected by Harbaugh) will likely be the very best Alex Smith version. What you see is what you get - there is minimal to no upside.

They will be buying high and selling low just like they did with Cassel. I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't see that this is a desperate short term FO move to avoid job loss just doesn't get it. They just mortgaged their future for a stop gap QB.

This was addressed in another thread but all those other QB's mentioned were either highly established guys in the league at one time that teams were trying to ressurect (Palmer who was at one time arguably an elite QB, and McNabb), or QB's with high potential which warrant the high draft picks (Whitehurst and Kolb). You know what Alex Smith is which is a top 15 to 20 NFL game manager QB. I have been an Alex Smith supporter for years, but this is what he is and to trade the top pick of the second round, and potentially another 2nd Rd pick next year for that is absolutely crazy.

Here's an apples to apples comparison between Alex Smith and the picks they gave up if they were both turned into QB's. KC is effectively giving up a QB project this year and potentially another one next year. Yes, it is a weak QB draft - but there are guys with potential that they could draft and develop. But they're doing it again next year... that is effectively two stabs at a player like Dalton or Kaep in the draft over the next two years who would be locked in under a rookie contracts. That potential is way too much to give up for Alex Smith.

But KC has a brand new coach and HC. Job security in the NFL is fleeting, but coaches and GMs generally have at least 3 years to get things going. There's no reason for the KC front office to be entirely short-sighted. They must see something they like in Smith.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told everyone in the second post of this thread what they would get but no one listened

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this is another reason why we should draft QB first, if Harbaugh sees another great QB? not one of the bigger reasons, but a reason.

teams with no QB's have no choice but to overpay.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told everyone in the second post of this thread what they would get but no one listened

Props, Hangman. I'm thrilled about this trade. I had no idea we could get this much. I hope Alex lights it up in KC.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is another reason why we should draft QB first, if Harbaugh sees another great QB? not one of the bigger reasons, but a reason.

teams with no QB's have no choice but to overpay.

I like your thinking, but there's no need to do it with our first pick. Geno Smith will be gone by the time we pick, unless we move up. And some of the guys I like will be available past the 2nd round, IMO, such as E.J. Manuel.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like your thinking, but there's no need to do it with our first pick. Geno Smith will be gone by the time we pick, unless we move up. And some of the guys I like will be available past the 2nd round, IMO, such as E.J. Manuel.

yeah, the odds are low.....very low.

so DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should lose your posting privileges for at least a week. Or if you have the guts you could just admit how dumb this post now looks, and how completely wrong you were.

Gonna bump this post too. Let some peoples football IQ hang out there.

Haha....clyde, care to revise your statement?

I think this thread should have been called the "un" Realistic trade scenarios for Alex Smith.

I am sure one of us could have nailed it with that approach.

How about this. Everyone should just laugh at Mortensen. He said that there's just not going to be much exchanged for Alex, etc. He was the bearer of all bad news. I think he was reasonable, BUT if we're going to pick on people, pick on someone who isn't a Niners fan and isn't here!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade value for Alex went up when we made the league believe we weren't gonna cut him. I didn't think teams would believe us but clearly they did.