• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic trade scenarios for Alex Smith

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it will be proven that people on this board value Smith much more than actual NFL personnel guys. Most of those scenarios are unrealistic. We'd be lucky to get a 4th.

Haha....clyde, care to revise your statement?

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was expecting more like 4th round, which is basically a late 3rd rounder in this year's draft. This is a King's ransom for Alex Smith. I hope the reports are true.

The pick in 14 is being called "similar" to the one we get this year, so 2nd or 3rd rounder?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If this is actually true and we'll really get a high 2nd, plus another high conditional pick next year for him without us giving anything else back, then the Chiefs just made one of the dumbest trades of all time.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is actually true and we'll really get a high 2nd, plus another high conditional pick next year for him without us giving anything else back, then the Chiefs just made one of the dumbest trades of all time.

^^^This.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick in 2014 is a 3rd rounder that moves to a 2nd rounder based on playing time and KC wins. I don't know how much playing time or wins. Kawakami is all over it. Much props.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick in 2014 is a 3rd rounder that moves to a 2nd rounder based on playing time and KC wins. I don't know how much playing time or wins. Kawakami is all over it. Much props.

This is starting to get obscene. Did the Chiefs GM throw in his first-born son, too?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This, and a few similar opinions on this page, is absolutely ridiculous. QBs are expensive to acquire, and when there are no other experienced QBs available they become even more expensive. Carson Palmer was much more expensive both in picks and money and is probably worse than Smith. Whitehurst was a 2nd rounder (edit, a 3rd rounder plus exchange of 2nds) and never had nor never will do anything. Kolb was a 1st rounder + an expensive contract. McNabb was a carcass that garnered a 2nd rounder.

There is a long, long list of expensive QB trades for guys with less to offer than Smith. Settle down.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, and a few similar opinions on this page, is absolutely ridiculous. QBs are expensive to acquire, and when there are no other experienced QBs available they become even more expensive. Carson Palmer was much more expensive both in picks and money and is probably worse than Smith. Whitehurst was a 2nd rounder (edit, a 3rd rounder plus exchange of 2nds) and never had nor never will do anything. Kolb was a 1st rounder + an expensive contract. McNabb was a carcass that garnered a 2nd rounder.

There is a long, long list of expensive QB trades for guys with less to offer than Smith. Settle down.

Not ridiculous at all Space. Smith's value is being propped up by a horrible QB market otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Those QB's you mentioned were taken on the premise of having either a high ceiling potential - or a solid history - neither of which does Smith bring to the table.

This has been explained to you several times now. Why you can't, or why you simply refuse to grasp this reality is equally as ridiculous as those opinions you chided.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You think Smith sucks. You're wrong. I don't talk to you about Smith because its pointless. Fair enough.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Smith sucks. You're wrong. I don't talk to you about Smith because its pointless. Fair enough.

I don't think Smith sucks. I have been precisely assessing his talent for years. You, however, think Smith is great! That is where YOU are wrong! And THAT is why you don't talk to me - I won't put up with your bullshit about how great Smith is when he isn't - fair enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You, however, think Smith is great!

Nope, never said that, or anything like it. That's just how you have to reframe the argument to protect your ego and justify your endless criticism. He's a pretty good QB, who like other pretty good QBs, can produce well in a good system. He does have a solid history, he has produced well when he had a decent system, and suffered only when he was saddled with some of the worst offensive coaches in NFL history. Carry on.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, never said that, or anything like it. That's just how you have to reframe the argument to protect your ego and justify your endless criticism. He's a pretty good QB, who like other pretty good QBs, can produce well in a good system. Carry on.

That is not my argument it is yours. If it wasn't/isn't then why do you continually feel the need to prop Smith up with fallacious arguments?

You have been told several times about the argument on behalf of Kolb, Whitehurst, Cassell, Flynn, et. al., being a false comparison and yet you continue to bring it up.

Why can't you just accept that Smith is what he is and stop trying to make him look better than he is. What is interesting here is this, Smith IS a mediocre/average QB and nothing more. I have been saying this for years and I have never ONCE had to resort to bullshit to support that claim.

You are now saying that Smith is a "pretty good" QB and yet you have to spew bullshit to support even THAT claim. I have seen you call A LOT of posters on this forum on their bullshit, Space, so why should your bullshit be off limits.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I went lower than expected on these projections...

I have to admit that I thought your list was pretty out there... not because I felt Smith was only worth a bag of potato chips like a couple of the posters... I just never imagined someone would be that interested in Alex as a solution for their starting QB.

But now that Andy Reid has, I can see why he would. Last two games against the 49ers Alex Smith led 2nd half comebacks against his Eagles going 1-1 in those games. One of them was after the whole stadium turned on him. I can also see why Reid isn't really interested in drafting and building up a QB again and trying to take a shortcut with Alex Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I stand by my assertion that KC is making one of the worst trades of all time by giving up this much for him (if in fact that was the full terms of the trade), especially with the favorable rookie contracts. I'm still highly skeptical that we didn't give them anything.

But if this is the case, it is clearly a desperate short sighted move by K.C.'s FO to try and keep their jobs. They are completely overpaying for a stop gap QB. The Alex Smith they were looking at under Harbaugh (protected by Harbaugh) will likely be the very best Alex Smith version. What you see is what you get - there is minimal to no upside.

They will be buying high and selling low just like they did with Cassel. I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't see that this is a desperate short term FO move to avoid job loss just doesn't get it. They just mortgaged their future for a stop gap QB.

This was addressed in another thread but all those other QB's mentioned were either highly established guys in the league at one time that teams were trying to ressurect (Palmer who was at one time arguably an elite QB, and McNabb), or QB's with high potential which warrant the high draft picks (Whitehurst and Kolb). You know what Alex Smith is which is a top 15 to 20 NFL game manager QB. I have been an Alex Smith supporter for years, but this is what he is and to trade the top pick of the second round, and potentially another 2nd Rd pick next year for that is absolutely crazy.

Here's an apples to apples comparison between Alex Smith and the picks they gave up if they were both turned into QB's. KC is effectively giving up a QB project this year and potentially another one next year. Yes, it is a weak QB draft - but there are guys with potential that they could draft and develop. But they're doing it again next year... that is effectively two stabs at a player like Dalton or Kaep in the draft over the next two years who would be locked in under a rookie contracts. That potential is way too much to give up for Alex Smith.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand by my assertion that KC is making one of the worst trades of all time by giving up this much for him (if in fact that was the full terms of the trade), especially with the favorable rookie contracts. I'm still highly skeptical that we didn't give them anything.

Then you probably know about as much about football as the others who said we'd be lucky to get a 4th/5th rounder for him.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit that I thought your list was pretty out there... not because I felt Smith was only worth a bag of potato chips like a couple of the posters... I just never imagined someone would be that interested in Alex as a solution for their starting QB.

But now that Andy Reid has, I can see why he would. Last two games against the 49ers Alex Smith led 2nd half comebacks against his Eagles going 1-1 in those games. One of them was after the whole stadium turned on him. I can also see why Reid isn't really interested in drafting and building up a QB again and trying to take a shortcut with Alex Smith.

I'm actually a little surprised that they got so much for him too, but with the history of QBs being traded, I figured the niners would get good offers for him. Teams always pay a premium for QBs.

Happy for Alex (IMO, KC should win the AFC West with him), but more happy that the niners have some more good picks to play with. It would have been nice if KC kept the '14 pick and sent over Eric Berry along with the second round though...

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah, Miami Dolphins win that award.

In 2004, they traded a 2005 2nd round pick to the Eagles for Motherfukin AJ Feeley...

I think the Chiefs could win 8 with Smith at QB. Be a .500 team.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McCluster's stock should shoot through the roof with all the dump offs he'll be getting. It will be interesting to see what happens with Bowe. He might be the receiver that Alex will target, but I think he'll end up being frustrated that the trigger isn't pulled a lot more.

8-8 sounds about right. He brings stability to the QB position. They miss the playoffs. Rinse and repeat until they get everything possible around him and a strong defense to get in the playoffs. Right around that time they will be looking to upgrade the QB position via a big FA signing or through a trade-up in the draft to make a real run.

Which brings me back full circle that they should just focus on continuing to build through the draft this year and get the foundation of the team as strong and stable as possible and then target a good QB. And they'd also have a lot more cap flexibility with two more rookie contracts from those picks to do it.