• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic trade scenarios for Alex Smith

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Smith and losing Goldson would be pretty unacceptable, they don't have much control over that if Goldson continues to be kinda unreasonable though. If it is true that they offered him 1 million less per year than he wanted, say, 5 year 50 mil instead of 5 yr 55 mil and he turned that down... it's like, c'mon dude.

But anyway you get my point, holding on to Smith for some draft picks and then losing a guy like Goldson would be disappointing.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can keep Alex and tag Goldson. They have the opportunity to open up all kinds of cap space elsewhere.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Smith and losing Goldson would be pretty unacceptable, they don't have much control over that if Goldson continues to be kinda unreasonable though. If it is true that they offered him 1 million less per year than he wanted, say, 5 year 50 mil instead of 5 yr 55 mil and he turned that down... it's like, c'mon dude.

But anyway you get my point, holding on to Smith for some draft picks and then losing a guy like Goldson would be disappointing.

Yep, that might not be mutually exclusive (as I read holding on for a few draft picks as meaning a later trade, not keeping Smith for the year). We could franchise Goldson and then work out a deal. Sooner the better for everyone as long as we get good value. We have to release or trade Smith before April 1st or else he costs us cap room either way (we'd save in actual money because the new team would pay that, but our hit's the same, if I understand it right).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it depends on what Baalke gets back, it seems obvious that Baalke is just making it public to teams thinking that they'll just wait for the 49ers to cut Smith that if they really want him they'll have to trade for him... which is awesome and what makes Baalke such a good GM.

You think they'll still tag Goldson? I think they should, but I've read that he doesn't want to play for the tag again next year and the 49ers don't intend to tag him because it'd be the 2nd tag in a row it'd increase the cost or something. Like what was it 6 mil last year? It'd jump to 7 or 8 this season

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given his salary and the potential to get back draft picks, he is worth more to us OFF our roster then he is as a backup QB IMO.

At his current salary, of course. However, if we could get Smith for 1.5m-1.75m/Yr to back-up Kap - That would make him more valuable ON our team then off.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they tag Goldson again which I'm positive they would if they don't agree to a new contract then the charge is about $7.5M.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they tag Goldson again which I'm positive they would if they don't agree to a new contract then the charge is about $7.5M.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that whole amount hits our cap - yes?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At his current salary, of course. However, if we could get Smith for 1.5m-1.75m/Yr to back-up Kap - That would make him more valuable ON our team then off.

True, but I see that as likely as us getting a first rounder from anybody. But maybe I misunderestimate Smith's loyalty. Don't think so.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith for 2 years of Revis? (tagging him the 2nd year)

FUCK YES! ...alarm clock

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That isn't bad. I just saw that article where Goldson said he wouldn't want to play under the tag again which typically means a holdout if tagged. Then it was either the same or a different article that said the 49ers might not use the tag on him... which I thought was crazy but I figured the guy was saying that because of some signals he got from the 49ers front office.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't bad. I just saw that article where Goldson said he wouldn't want to play under the tag again which typically means a holdout if tagged. Then it was either the same or a different article that said the 49ers might not use the tag on him... which I thought was crazy but I figured the guy was saying that because of some signals he got from the 49ers front office.

Yeah it ain't bad at all. Since he is a vet and our system isn't changing he can pout all he wants but in the end he'll be signing and showing up before game 1.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pretty realistic option for Zona.

Drew Stanton - QB - Colts

NFL draft insider Tony Pauline says free agent QB Drew Stanton could be a "hot commodity" on the open market.
Pauline says the Colts will try to re-sign Stanton as Andrew Luck's backup, but if it doesn't happen, "keep an eye on" the Vikings and Cardinals. The National Football Post's Dan Pompei said earlier in the month that there were "some rumblings" Stanton, 28, could follow Bruce Arians to Arizona in hopes of competing for the starting job.
Related: Cardinals, Vikings
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Feb 21 - 2:23 PM

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Given his salary and the potential to get back draft picks, he is worth more to us OFF our roster then he is as a backup QB IMO.

not disagreeing but am wondering.............

1. if Kap had Alex's salary, and Alex had Kaps, would Alex's salary be difficult in the larger QB picture? cause we can't get a better back-up QB (right now today) than Alex. or should i say we can't get a better duo right now?

2. it APPEARS we won't get a high draft pick for Alex Smith? the consensus here seem to think even a 4th would be good? IF so, wouldn't we take a quality back-up QB because our team is built for now?

ordinarily, i'd totally agree with you, but this "built for now" situation is in play.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My hope is that it would be temporary until we got a new deal. Teams can remove the tag and obviously a longer deal would do that. But there would be no need to do it until the deadline for franchising people and that would give time to work out a good deal or to work out a trade with Smith.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers ? Niner Insider Blog ? SFGate.com » Alex Smith, anyone? Chiefs GM doesn?t see clear-cut, first-round QB in draft

This could apply to getting Foles, it could also not be a true statement of what their situation is. Just passing along.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“There is no quarterback where personnel guys can definitely say, ‘He’s a first-round pick,’” Dorsey said. “There were so many inconsistencies in the collective group. There was not one guy that stood up and said, ‘I’m the guy in the position this year.’ There really wasn’t one clear-cut guy.

“There are too many technical flaws, scheme flaws. There are so many different variables that there are a lot of people all over the place on naming the top four or five guys and who those guys would be.”

Assuming Dorsey’s assessment is genuine, it would seem likely Kansas City would look to a veteran to improve its quarterback play in 2013. In 2012, the Chiefs went 2-14 while Matt Cassel and free-agent-to-be Brady Quinn each started eight games. The duo combined to throw eight touchdowns, 20 interceptions and post a 63.9 passer rating.

As predicted and obvious (if I knew it, it had to be):

Andy Reid: Kansas City Chiefs open to trading top pick

If I were Smith and I wanted to go to KC, I'd hope that this commitment to the best player sticks and that KC is unable to trade the pick and it's the truth that the Chiefs don't value any QB as the first round QB. That way, logic would say, no Geno Smith to KC, maybe a second to the Niners, and he'd surely start over a third rounder or less, at least for this year. He should have confidence to keep the 3rd rounder at bay for awhile. His new team could pick Loekel or his alma mater's Star Lotulelei.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith - QB - 49ers

Appearing on NFL 32, ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested that the 49ers would accept a fourth-round pick for Alex Smith.
"There hasn't been a real hot market," said Mortensen. "Bottom line is there's not gonna be a lot of suitors for him. ... Maybe a fourth-rounder gets it done." Although his statistics under quarterback-guru coach Jim Harbaugh might lead fans to believe otherwise, Smith is not highly regarded around the NFL. He's viewed as a borderline starter and short-term stopgap solution.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith - QB - 49ers

Appearing on NFL 32, ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested that the 49ers would accept a fourth-round pick for Alex Smith.
"There hasn't been a real hot market," said Mortensen. "Bottom line is there's not gonna be a lot of suitors for him. ... Maybe a fourth-rounder gets it done." Although his statistics under quarterback-guru coach Jim Harbaugh might lead fans to believe otherwise, Smith is not highly regarded around the NFL. He's viewed as a borderline starter and short-term stopgap solution.

Shut up, Mort! However, I think it would be best for Smith if KC got him with a 3rd or 4th round and two teams pick a QB in the first round (not KC) because then the normal pick for a QB would be gone and the QB picked would be lower picked. And KC would have their better picks to help his new team.

It's moving up though. Before it sounded like 4th round was too much and now it's a possibility. Here's hoping that what was said today helps push interest. A high pick would be great for us and the more they trade for Smith, the more likely that they give Smith some time. Not guaranteed and yeah, the picks would help more, but he could feel that he's committing to a team where he has chance to stay if he plays well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Alex Smith - QB - 49ers

Damn, how much money do we have to pay these talking heads to give some positive PR to promote this trade? Seems like the previous couple years they tout some piece of shit who gets high draft picks in return for a trade. Then this year happens with no good QBs in the draft and multiple teams with QB issues and somehow we're selling ice cubes to eskimos. Smith>Kolb>Flynn. I'm not expecting a 1st or 2nd rounder, but a third would be nice. WTF?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, how much money do we have to pay these talking heads to give some positive PR to promote this trade? Seems like the previous couple years they tout some piece of shit who gets high draft picks in return for a trade. Then this year happens with no good QBs in the draft and multiple teams with QB issues and somehow we're selling ice cubes to eskimos. Smith>Kolb>Flynn. I'm not expecting a 1st or 2nd rounder, but a third would be nice. WTF?

I won't talk about worth because everyone has their opinions, but I wish Mort would just shut up. Not that teams would then trade if he said that he was a hot commodity, it just can't help. Mort, stay away! You're the only one saying anything like this, everyone else just quotes you and repeats. Make them do their homework! I'd prefer Jamie Dukes saying this instead because Jamie Dukes has little credibility, Mort - you are too credible. Shut up!