• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic trade scenarios for Alex Smith

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
still feel the odds are low we draft a QB at 31st, but it isn't 100% certain we won't. so like most teams in most drafts, the first position you look at is QB. after trading Alex we will need a QB, so look at QB's first. if not enough value at 31st, then draft something else. nothing complicated about it.

Plus, the Niners under GM Trent Baalke and head coach Jim Harbaugh have been astute in going after talent perhaps undervalued by others – Kaepernick and Tolzien, for instance – and Jones might fall into that category.

A new quarterback evaluation system by Aaron Schatz at Football Outsiders and analyst Dave Lewin that factors in a number of elements – including college games started, completion rate, body mass index, etc. – rates Jones the No. 1 quarterback in the draft. Last season the formula ranked Russell Wilson No. 1, ahead of Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck, which proved prescient.

Jones’ QB guru, Whitfield, told USA Today at the Combine that after working with Jones for seven weeks, he believes Jones is now a first-round talent comparable to the Atlanta Falcons’ Matt Ryan.

“He’s absolutely a first rounder, especially when you look at not only his class, but classes prior to this one,” Whitfield said. He went on to say that like Ryan, Jones used all four years of eligibility and is a student of the game.

“The Atlanta Falcons took a senior who played an awful lot of games at Boston College, and they hooked that wagon to him. Landry is a little bit bigger than Matt Ryan… (and) Landry is a master distributor.”

Do the 49ers see in Jones what Whitfield does? It’s impossible to say. But no doubt they have their focus on one of these QBs they believe is undervalued and can be taken in the mid rounds – after addressing more immediate needs on the defensive line, at wideout and perhaps the secondary.

I disagree that "most" teams look at QB first. The Packers aren't looking QB first. The Colts aren't looking QB first. The Falcons aren't looking QB first. If you have a top-10 QB, you look to support that QB. You don't use a high pick to draft a backup. If you can cite an example to the contrary, I'll concede that I'm wrong - at least in some cases. The first priority of any team has to be to strengthen its biggest weaknesses - among the starting lineup. If you don't have a QB, that will ALWAYS be your biggest weakness. If you have a good starting QB, your priorities shift. At least, they shift if you want to win super bowls.

Particularly given the success of our coaching staff, our goal should be to add a talented developmental player in the mid-to-later rounds. As the article you cited notes in its final sentence:

But no doubt they have their focus on one of these QBs they believe is undervalued and can be taken in the mid rounds – after addressing more immediate needs on the defensive line, at wideout and perhaps the secondary.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But no doubt they have their focus on one of these QBs they believe is undervalued and can be taken in the mid rounds – after addressing more immediate needs on the defensive line, at wideout and perhaps the secondary.

I agree with you but I don't think he really means draft the QB first, maybe he's just talking about, look for the QB first, and once you've found your value for him (value to you lowers when you have a Kaep QB already) and then move on - don't sleep on the value, I guess. But I think us totally ignoring the QB position as being unlikely now that Smith is gone. If we had kept him, perhaps we could mistakenly ignore QB, though I don't think HarBaalke would.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But like most say, there's no need to spend any valuable picks on a new backup. They can find a tools guy to develop with a mid-round pick and let Harbaugh do his magic, so they can trade him for more valuable stuff in a few years if nothing else.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with you but I don't think he really means draft the QB first, maybe he's just talking about, look for the QB first, and once you've found your value for him (value to you lowers when you have a Kaep QB already) and then move on - don't sleep on the value, I guess. But I think us totally ignoring the QB position as being unlikely now that Smith is gone. If we had kept him, perhaps we could mistakenly ignore QB, though I don't think HarBaalke would.

Deep has repeatedly endorsed - in theory, because that's the only way Deep discusses the draft - drafting a QB in the first. He has even said we should consider trading up for one, I believe. I disagree. We absolutely need to look into adding a QB, but I happen to think that the evidence strongly suggests Kap is our franchise QB.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be ok spending a 4th for Jones, but we have much more pressing needs then backup QB.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been out of the country; heard this a few days ago but couldn't comment until now. HOLY CRAP, this is awesome. Hell of a job by Baalke, cannot state strongly enough what a coup this is. I mean, Alex is not garbage but to get at worst the top 2nd this year and a 3rd next year? Wow!