• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Travel to Chicago For Three Games With the White Sox August 27-29

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leiter will pitch 5.2 innings, give up 2 runs off of 4 hits, one walk, and he'll strike out 8 batters.
Our boy is ready for this.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been wondering of Scherzer would pitch any more this season.

From Evan Grant:

Texas Rangers manager Bruce Bochy described Max Scherzer’s status on Tuesday as being in a “holding pattern,” but with each passing day, the chances grow that Scherzer’s time with the team may be over.

Scherzer, 40, last pitched on July 30 at St. Louis and left the start after four innings with declining velocity and what was described as shoulder fatigue. Since then, his recovery has been on-again, off-again. He expected to miss one start, but need more time and ended up on the IL, was supposed to start last Friday for Double-A Frisco, then was scratched and was re-evaluated by team orthopedist Dr. Keith Meister this week. Bochy said Tuesday that nothing alarming was discovered during the evaluation, but Scherzer needed a “couple more days to see how he feels,” before resuming throwing.

Scherzer, however, has now missed four weeks, which means the throwing program involved would probably require more length and rehab. The Rangers were scheduled to play game No. 133 on Tuesday.
“I think we have to be honest,” Bochy said. “It is getting late in the season. This has been a setback. It’s going to take a while once he starts throwing. When we get back [to Texas], we need to see where he is at.”

There are other factors in play, too. Namely, how many starts can the Rangers afford Scherzer? The focus of the season has changed. While they want to finish strong, they are going to activate Jack Leiter for Wednesday’s start and intend to give him some runway in September. Jacob deGrom, who was scheduled to make his second rehab start on Tuesday, could return to the rotation within 10 days and his starts will be of importance in putting elbow surgery recovery in his rear window. Cody Bradford, who figures to be a strong candidate for the 2025 rotation, has been limited to nine games (eight starts) by an early-season injury and only returned on July 30. In addition, the Rangers will continue to give Nathan Eovaldi regular starts.

Also, the roster becomes an issue. While rosters can expand on Sept. 1, they can only expand by two players to 28. If the Rangers want to look at more players, they have to create more roster spots. If they were to move Scherzer to the 60-day IL, it would create an open roster spot, but it would rule him out for the remainder of the season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leiter will pitch 5.2 innings, give up 2 runs off of 4 hits, one walk, and he'll strike out 8 batters.
Our boy is ready for this.
I am going to say he gives us 6 shutout innings.

4 hits
2 walks
9 strike outs

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been wondering of Scherzer would pitch any more this season.

From Evan Grant:

Texas Rangers manager Bruce Bochy described Max Scherzer’s status on Tuesday as being in a “holding pattern,” but with each passing day, the chances grow that Scherzer’s time with the team may be over.

Scherzer, 40, last pitched on July 30 at St. Louis and left the start after four innings with declining velocity and what was described as shoulder fatigue. Since then, his recovery has been on-again, off-again. He expected to miss one start, but need more time and ended up on the IL, was supposed to start last Friday for Double-A Frisco, then was scratched and was re-evaluated by team orthopedist Dr. Keith Meister this week. Bochy said Tuesday that nothing alarming was discovered during the evaluation, but Scherzer needed a “couple more days to see how he feels,” before resuming throwing.

Scherzer, however, has now missed four weeks, which means the throwing program involved would probably require more length and rehab. The Rangers were scheduled to play game No. 133 on Tuesday.
“I think we have to be honest,” Bochy said. “It is getting late in the season. This has been a setback. It’s going to take a while once he starts throwing. When we get back [to Texas], we need to see where he is at.”

There are other factors in play, too. Namely, how many starts can the Rangers afford Scherzer? The focus of the season has changed. While they want to finish strong, they are going to activate Jack Leiter for Wednesday’s start and intend to give him some runway in September. Jacob deGrom, who was scheduled to make his second rehab start on Tuesday, could return to the rotation within 10 days and his starts will be of importance in putting elbow surgery recovery in his rear window. Cody Bradford, who figures to be a strong candidate for the 2025 rotation, has been limited to nine games (eight starts) by an early-season injury and only returned on July 30. In addition, the Rangers will continue to give Nathan Eovaldi regular starts.

Also, the roster becomes an issue. While rosters can expand on Sept. 1, they can only expand by two players to 28. If the Rangers want to look at more players, they have to create more roster spots. If they were to move Scherzer to the 60-day IL, it would create an open roster spot, but it would rule him out for the remainder of the season.
No big loss there. I think most of us could see him being on the DL most of the season.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what we will get from Leiter but I hope it's good since it's against the White Sox.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leiter is almost "expected" to do well today because it's the WS. But just remember AAA and the bigs are worlds apart these days so maybe temper those expectations. Hoping for a decent outing...5 innngs, 85 pitches, 3 runs on 6 hits, 5 Ks, 2 BB.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lorenzen is out with a strained left hamstring. His ERA in 5 starts with the Royals is 1.85.

I like Pennington, but CY should have been able to get more in return for Lorenzen. He had an ERA about a run lower than Kikuchi when they were both traded and Lorenzen has better career numbers than Kikuchi.

I know the Astros overpaid for Kikuchi, but with Lorenzen being the better pitcher, something much closer to what the Astros gave up would have made more sense.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bochy loaded up the lineup with righties to face Crochet. Now, the White Sox are replacing him with a right hander. Bochy can pinch hit, but he will have to wait awhile so he doesn't have to play much of the game shorthanded.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox are terrible. Just awful. They have lost 18 of last 19 at home. Just got swept 4 games by Detroit.

But...I am going to make a bold prediction:

White Sox take 2 of 3 vs. Rangers and win only their 5th series of the season.

And it helps our chances of getting a top 5 pick so there's your silver lining.

Bless your heart. But that ain't happening lol.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a terrible job of baserunning to derail what could have been a big inning.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have 3 games in 24 hours and limit Heaney to 71 pitches. That is strange on Bochy's part.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duran finally plays 2 games fairly close together and gets 2 hits. We'll see if Bochy sits him for 2 weeks.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant thinks the Rangers will consider bringing up Dustin Harris, Justin Foscue, Emiliano Teodo, and Owen White.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About Owen White, Evan said:

"Disappointing as a starter, White, the second-round pick in 2018, was moved into a relief role last month and, after a rough first outing, results have been encouraging. He’s struck out 12 and walked just three in 10 ⅓ innings since August 1. He could be looked at as a potential bullpen option for 2025."