• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Hosting Houston Astros AUG. 3-5

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time they brought Telis up I thought he looked like a below average catcher to me. For some reason watching him catch behind the plate I just thought this guy is never going to amount to anything. I will take a Dyson over an average or to me below average catcher any day.

I wasn't impressed with his receiving or framing. That's for sure.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Luke Jackson had a good outing tonight where he struck out the side in his 1 inning of work. So far since he has become a relief pitcher he has thrown 37.2 innings in which he has given up 26 hits and 17 walks with 54 strikeouts. That is a WHIP of 1.14. I think we will probably add him to the Rangers bullpen mix at some point this season.
I hope not, he's not near ready...we have our current allotment of relievers with a BB every two innings

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not, he's not near ready...we have our current allotment of relievers with a BB every two innings

My thoughts exactly. I'm amazed how Bennie constantly wants to bring young guys up, even if they're not showing signs of being ready.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly. I'm amazed how Bennie constantly wants to bring young guys up, even if they're not showing signs of being ready.
It's what is called : Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Justin kept calling for Telis to come up.
He did and ya see what he looked like.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's what is called : Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Justin kept calling for Telis to come up.

Kind of think we're talking about two very different situations here.

From the Telis' standpoint, I thought his main point was, "we're getting absolutely nothing from Corp, so what do we have to lose with Telis?" Maybe this was/is my interpretation only.

Re: Jackson, I thought he was referring to getting a look with the Sept call-up. Which is really no big deal one way or the other. I personally wouldn't at this point-in-time, b/c Jackson is avg a runner + per inning, and unless the team just wants to expose him to "this is where you want to be isn't it?" look, then I'd let him stay down. He, IMO, he hasn't earned the call-up.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this bull pen will have to do it with mirrors.
Baseball 101...constantly fall behind in the count and bad things will happen

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed...early exposure is more often a bad thing than not
a young pitchers head can be so fragile

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of think we're talking about two very different situations here.

From the Telis' standpoint, I thought his main point was, so wha"we're getting absolutely nothing from Corp,what do we have to lose with Telis?" Maybe this was/is my interpretation only.

Re: Jackson, I thought he was referring to getting a look with the Sept call-up. Which is really no big deal one way or the other. I personally wouldn't at this point-in-time, b/c Jackson is avg a runner + per inning, and unless the team just wants to expose him to "this is where you want to be isn't it?" look, then I'd let him stay down. He, IMO, he hasn't earned the call-up.
Same thing as pitching. We're not getting anything from Claudio Freeman etc so call up whoever. If they're not ready whats the use. I think that is the point trying to be made.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed...early exposure is more often a bad thing than not
a young pitchers head can be so fragile

Part of the reason I was no nervous with Gallo. He still seems to be reeling a bit.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody hear anything about Holland's velocity in Tuesday's rehab start?

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this bull pen will have to do it with mirrors.
Baseball 101...constantly fall behind in the count and bad things will happen

Well the additions of Dyson and Diekman have improved the bullpen. Freeman, to his credit, has had a good run of late (compared to earlier in the season). No idea what switch flipped with Patton but he has been a Terminator his last couple of appearances. And even though Tolleson isn't a closer :D he gets the job done too.

It all comes down to the BannyRooster using the right guys in the right spots. That's been shaky, obviously, but with the new blood let's hope the kinks get worked out.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers SP Nick Martinez shuts down Houston over five

Perhaps the slump that has plagued Rangers starter Nick Martinez since spring turned into summer is over.

Martinez gave up just one run on one hit in five innings Wednesday against Houston to raise his record to 7-6. He walked three and struck out one.

The lone tally was on a Jed Lowrie double in the fourth inning, after Martinez had retired nine of the first 10 batters he faced.

It was arguably his finest outing since June 9. Martinez had yielded 24 runs in his previous 28 innings covering five starts.

Looks like my limb held up for the Bday boy, nice to see Nick get back on track. he has had success against the Stros

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the additions of Dyson and Diekman have improved the bullpen. Freeman, to his credit, has had a good run of late (compared to earlier in the season). No idea what switch flipped with Patton but he has been a Terminator his last couple of appearances. And even though Tolleson isn't a closer :D he gets the job done too.

It all comes down to the BannyRooster using the right guys in the right spots. That's been shaky, obviously, but with the new blood let's hope the kinks get worked out.

Dyson has the first 2 saves of his career since joining the Rangers

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

correct, bull pen has been pretty good in this homestand. I'm talking more about being behind in the count and walks. I never was much for titles, but Tolleson being what? 20/21 in save situations seems closer to me...least for this season it does

all my years watching baseball...second guessing the manger's decisions is a right of passage. I still put more on the guys actually in the arena with the ball & bats in their hands

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he seems to be a little shaky
In two rehab starts, Holland has given up four runs and nine baserunners in 3 2/3 innings. He is expected to make at least four more starts in the minors.

What was perhaps most significant: Holland’s fastball was regularly at 95 mph, he said coaches told him. Holland did acknowledge getting a little “offspeed happy,” but said he wanted to work on those pitches. The fastball had real zip.

“It’s really encouraging,” Banister said. “It’s still how he feels today and how he responds. That will have an impact on what we do.”

The tentative plan is for Holland to pitch for Double-A Frisco on Sunday. He is expected to throw about four innings or 60-70 pitches. He is expected to make at least two or three more rehab starts before the Rangers make a decision about activating him.

Derek tends to talk his way back a bit early. If he doesnt have any setback, i would expect to see him pitch in a ML game in 2 weeks. Remember his rehab starts weren't CY Young like last year (I was at one of them in RR), but he returned to pitch lights out in his last 5 starts of the year, I believe.