• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Hosting Houston Astros AUG. 3-5

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time they brought Telis up I thought he looked like a below average catcher to me. For some reason watching him catch behind the plate I just thought this guy is never going to amount to anything. I will take a Dyson over an average or to me below average catcher any day.

Then you and me saw 2 totally different things, and an average catcher is hard to come by in this league, much harder than a reliever, no matter how hard he throws

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's what is called : Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Justin kept calling for Telis to come up.
He did and ya see what he looked like.

He played 2 games...

as Romeo said, he needed to work on his pitch framing but he was a solid catcher otherwise, especially for a backup

Look throughout the system now, we have next to nothing catching wise, maybe Trevino but he's been catching for less time than Alfaro, and is probably as old if not older

Young, solid catchers are hard to come by, sure everyone wants a Buster Posey, but you should be happy with a Chirinos (11th in catcher OPS, minimum 250 PA's & T-6th in defensive WAR)

So as I said previously, its easy to grow disillusioned with a young catcher b/c his numbers don't look sexy, but fact is you usually aren't going to get sexy numbers from a catcher, and they are pretty hard to come by and usually put it together far later than other position players... b/c they split time a lot more defensively than other players

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he seems to be a little shaky
In two rehab starts, Holland has given up four runs and nine baserunners in 3 2/3 innings. He is expected to make at least four more starts in the minors.

As is to be expected after a long layoff, the key is the velocity is there

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all my years watching baseball...second guessing the manger's decisions is a right of passage. I still put more on the guys actually in the arena with the ball & bats in their hands

I think the second guessing comes from the idea that he's not putting the ball in the CORRECT guy's hands in the correct situations

Sure if the guy doesn't perform, that's ultimately on him, but if its a 1 run game and he has an ERA of 5.56, then I don't know how you could reasonably assume, that guy was going to shut things down in a 1 run game

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he seems to be a little shaky
In two rehab starts, Holland has given up four runs and nine baserunners in 3 2/3 innings. He is expected to make at least four more starts in the minors.

He's just getting his work in. Don't focus too much on results. He says he was throwing a lot of offspeed stuff intentionally.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are now 36-22 against teams above .500 and 18-31 against teams below .500.

:burt:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the second guessing comes from the idea that he's not putting the ball in the CORRECT guy's hands in the correct situations

Sure if the guy doesn't perform, that's ultimately on him, but if its a 1 run game and he has an ERA of 5.56, then I don't know how you could reasonably assume, that guy was going to shut things down in a 1 run game

The second guessing of the manager isn't restricted to the rangers and their fans. A select few here have been over the top, but it's a baseball fans right of passage

you can't run the same guy out there night after night...situations dictate the thought process. It's baseball, one could not reasonable assume the Astros don't score in the 9th with runners on 1st/3rd and no outs and hitting in the order they were. Location, location, location and working ahead in the count still gets people out regardless of the posted ERA at the time

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are now 36-22 against teams above .500 and 18-31 against teams below .500.

:burt:

AND

23-29 at home :doh:, and 31-24 on the road

Though they made up some ground on that home record of late

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND

23-29 at home :doh:, and 31-24 on the road

Though they made up some ground on that home record of late

Hopefully the fans getting behind them will help with that.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second guessing of the manager isn't restricted to the rangers and their fans. A select few here have been over the top, but it's a baseball fans right of passage

you can't run the same guy out there night after night...situations dictate the thought process. It's baseball, one could not reasonable assume the Astros don't score in the 9th with runners on 1st/3rd and no outs and hitting in the order they were. Location, location, location and working ahead in the count still gets people out regardless of the posted ERA at the time

Seems like you get hung up on one line of thought despite the information presented to you...

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not, he's not near ready...we have our current allotment of relievers with a BB every two innings
His WHIP is very good so I can put up with the walks.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like you get hung up on one line of thought despite the information presented to you...
not really...the game is pretty simple with regards to what's the count...doing it night after night not so much

and help a guy out...what information did I miss

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly. I'm amazed how Bennie constantly wants to bring young guys up, even if they're not showing signs of being ready.
You need to slow down and pay attention a little more. I didn't say I was wanting them to bring him up now. I said I think he will be up at some point this season. Besides, it is not like we have a bullpen full of guys getting the job done. Even if I had said he should be brought up now he appears to be just as ready as a lot of guys we have brought up this year. I did not say that however. Your use of the word constantly could use some further consideration as well.