• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers and Orioles Battle in the ALCS in a Best of Five Matchup October 7-13

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ALCS starts Sunday…IF the Rangers win this series who wants to bet Scherzer will be available in some capacity in that series?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why this board is suddenly acting as if Bochy’s handling of the bullpen hasn’t been a major problem all year long. Going to the ALCS automatically erases all of his preventable gaffes?

I will remind you that in every one of those instances, Bochy was called out board-wide as the move was being made, not after the fact. I will also remind you that his moves have been openly questioned by the likes of Nadel, Newberg, Sandler, and Grant- all typical Rangers homers.

I never said every last decision Bochy has made has been wrong. But his multiple mistakes have been of the preventable variety. Remember, this was the EXACT complaint Giants fans had about him.
I am not acting as if he was not a problem. He was definitely a mess in that pen.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defend this- having Grossman hitting in the 3-hole instead of Garver. Tell me how having a .100 hitter in the 3-hole is smart managing. Tell me how not pinch hitting for that .100 hitter late in a game with a far superior hitter is available to face a lefty.

It’s stuff like that which flies in the face of all data and common baseball strategy.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defend this- having Grossman hitting in the 3-hole instead of Garver. Tell me how having a .100 hitter in the 3-hole is smart managing. Tell me how not pinch hitting for that .100 hitter late in a game with a far superior hitter is available to face a lefty.

It’s stuff like that which flies in the face of all data and common baseball strategy.
Can’t satisfy some even when we’re winning

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. Bochy's won three championships and has us on the edge of the ALCS. You don't pull that off if you're not a great manager.
By that logic, Ron Washington was a great manager because he got us to back to back World Series. The same Ron Washington who called Endy Chavez back to the dugout and instead put Nelson Cruz back into right field in the 9th inning of Game 6. The same Ron Washington who has not gotten another managerial job since.

Also, Tony LaRussa has won multiple World Series. Would you say he’s still a great manager? Even after the complete debacle of his latest managerial attempt?

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Grossman decision was obviously stupid. I've even seen guys like Belichick make some really stupid decisions like benching a star player during the Super Bowl. Want to argue Belichick sucks in spite of his six rings?
Bochy has three championships along with the fact he took the Padres to the World Series in spite of his managerial flaws.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. Bochy's won three championships and has us on the edge of the ALCS. You don't pull that off if you're not a great manager.
He may be but he screwed that pen. He certainly does deserve credit though

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t satisfy some even when we’re winning
1) you never defended it because you and any sane person can’t

2) I’m plenty satisfied we’re closing in on an ALCS berth. The question was posed whether we want Bochy back. Advancing to the ALCS doesn’t magically erase his mistakes.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Grossman decision was obviously stupid. I've even seen guys like Belichick make some really stupid decisions like benching a star player during the Super Bowl. Want to argue Belichick sucks in spite of his six rings?
Bochy has three championships along with the fact he took the Padres to the World Series in spite of his managerial flaws.
Again, tell me you think Tony LaRussa is still a good manager in today’s world. He won multiple rings. His last attempt at managing the White Sox was total humiliation.

Bochy winning rings over 10 years ago doesn’t mean he is immune from criticism.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By that logic, Ron Washington was a great manager because he got us to back to back World Series. The same Ron Washington who called Endy Chavez back to the dugout and instead put Nelson Cruz back into right field in the 9th inning of Game 6. The same Ron Washington who has not gotten another managerial job since.

Also, Tony LaRussa has won multiple World Series. Would you say he’s still a great manager? Even after the complete debacle of his latest managerial attempt?
Wash was a decent manager. Certainly he made some bad decisions that cost us a chance at a championship. But you act like getting TO the World Series is just so easy. How many loaded teams have we seen fall short in the playoffs just in recent years? A crap ton.
LaRussa WAS a great manager. Dude was retired for a decade and the game clearly past him by.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) you never defended it because you and any sane person can’t

2) I’m plenty satisfied we’re closing in on an ALCS berth. The question was posed whether we want Bochy back. Advancing to the ALCS doesn’t magically erase his mistakes.
Okay he’s bringing in Chapman fire him right now

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s managing the team to it. But it’s okay that you won’t even give him even a little credit
You live in a very strange world of absolutes. Let me introduce you to the color gray. Not everything is black and white. Me criticizing Bochy for his gross mis-management of the bullpen is not the same thing as saying I don’t think he deserves any credit for anything.

Show me where I said that. Go ahead.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why this board is suddenly acting as if Bochy’s handling of the bullpen hasn’t been a major problem all year long. Going to the ALCS automatically erases all of his preventable gaffes?

I will remind you that in every one of those instances, Bochy was called out board-wide as the move was being made, not after the fact. I will also remind you that his moves have been openly questioned by the likes of Nadel, Newberg, Sandler, and Grant- all typical Rangers homers.

I never said every last decision Bochy has made has been wrong. But his multiple mistakes have been of the preventable variety. Remember, this was the EXACT complaint Giants fans had about him.
I would be ecstatic with some bad decisions that still helped a mediocre team on paper win 3 championships.

I am not saying he hasn't made bad decisions. I just don't only look at those. Be honest. This team has had a lot of adversity with starting pitchers going out and when coming back not up to par. Exact same thing with our position players. And a BP that he has to hope when he puts one out there that the good side of that pitcher will show up. If I was the manager of this team I would be like Steve McCroskey on Airplane who picked the wrong day quit everything.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash was a decent manager. Certainly he made some bad decisions that cost us a chance at a championship. But you act like getting TO the World Series is just so easy. How many loaded teams have we seen fall short in the playoffs just in recent years? A crap ton.
LaRussa WAS a great manager. Dude was retired for a decade and the game clearly past him by.
And how long was Bochy retired? These criticisms of Bochy aren’t just held by me but also by anyone who has played the game at a semi-high level and anyone who covers the team. Him winning titles over a decade ago doesn’t make him infallible today.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, tell me you think Tony LaRussa is still a good manager in today’s world. He won multiple rings. His last attempt at managing the White Sox was total humiliation.

Bochy winning rings over 10 years ago doesn’t mean he is immune from criticism.
I agree. There's a huge difference between criticizing obvious bad decisions and calling for the team to replace him while we're in the middle of a deep playoff run and pretending like he's some scrub. By all means criticize him when he makes a dumb decision - I've criticized him a bunch - but keep it rational.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay he’s bringing in Chapman fire him right now
When did I ever say anything about not being allowed to bring in Chapman? Using Chapman once in the 8th inning is not the same thing as pitching him on back to back nights in the 9th inning.