• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland FA closer Brad Hand signed with the Nats, so there's one high end reliever who will no longer be pitching against us in the AL Central. The Twins were never really in the hunt for him - not sure why, being he's a native Minnesotan and reportedly wanted to play for his one time hometown team. Oh well. Addition by subtraction gents.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Mets are attempting to close in on Bauer. It's not a done deal at this point and the details are still sketchy, but no doubt the man gonna be paid no matter what or by whom.

I've said all along if Bauer doesn't sign with the Good Guys, then let it be in the NL. I'm surprised tho that the Angels aren't making a stronger push, at least not yet. They have an owner who's not at all against overpaying for a player. Maybe they'll still jump in it before this is all over.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Mets are attempting to close in on Bauer. It's not a done deal at this point and the details are still sketchy, but no doubt the man gonna be paid no matter what or by whom.

I've said all along if Bauer doesn't sign with the Good Guys, then let it be in the NL. I'm surprised tho that the Angels aren't making a stronger push, at least not yet. They have an owner who's not at all against overpaying for a player. Maybe they'll still jump in it before this is all over.
he may end up being the most over-paid player in the history of the game. i am now extremely happy we didn't sign him in the range of what he will apparently go for. 16-17 past 2 seasons with a era over 4. strange it only takes one outstanding (not even a full season) year to get paid ridiculous sums of money. at 30 years old he'll never be worth what he's going to get.

Last edited:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he may end up being the most over-paid player in the history of the game.
Agreed, but to be honest all of these recent super contract players are overpaid, or let's just say long before their contracts expire, they will be viewed as having been overpaid. That list includes Stanton, Cole, Betts, Machado, Harper, and yes even Trout. The outlier to all this was the Albert Pujols contract. Talk about a waste of a signing by the Angels.

Say what you want about Reinsdorf being a cheapass - because he is - but he's also smart enough to not give these outrageous super long term contracts, and at such huge AAVs to boot.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but to be honest all of these recent super contract players are overpaid, or let's just say long before their contracts expire, they will be viewed as having been overpaid. That list includes Stanton, Cole, Betts, Machado, Harper, and yes even Trout. The outlier to all this was the Albert Pujols contract. Talk about a waste of a signing by the Angels.

Say what you want about Reinsdorf being a cheapass - because he is - but he's also smart enough to not give these outrageous super long term contracts, and at such huge AAVs to boot.
true, he does avoid the big payouts.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Accountants man.

We aren't the Yankees and that's fine.

The Manny Machado thing was dumb...We're 100 times better off with what we did the past two offseasons instead of that. If Bauer is something stupid like that too, better off without him.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accountants man.

We aren't the Yankees and that's fine.

The Manny Machado thing was dumb...We're 100 times better off with what we did the past two offseasons instead of that. If Bauer is something stupid like that too, better off without him.
I'm glad Reinsdorf didn't go all out on Machado. He's a great player, but like I said there will come a time when Padres fans complain about him being so overpaid. And the Friars haven't even yet nailed down Tatis jr long term for that matter. As I have stated before, we have to wonder if Wheeler had signed with the Sox, would they in turn have given those extensions to the youngins? And there's no doubt if we had signed Wheeler, we wouldn't have signed Keuchel. He received more CY Young votes in the AL than Wheeler did in the NL.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad Reinsdorf didn't go all out on Machado. He's a great player, but like I said there will come a time when Padres fans complain about him being so overpaid. And the Friars haven't even yet nailed down Tatis jr long term for that matter. As I have stated before, we have to wonder if Wheeler had signed with the Sox, would they in turn have given those extensions to the youngins? And there's no doubt if we had signed Wheeler, we wouldn't have signed Keuchel. He received more CY Young votes in the AL than Wheeler did in the NL.

I still think we wanted both Keuchel and Wheeler...We end up with Keuchel and Lynn...Worked out ok.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we wanted both Keuchel and Wheeler...We end up with Keuchel and Lynn...Worked out ok.
Maybe as fans, but I doubt as far as Sox management is concerned. I just can't see Reinsdorf forking out $180m for two pitchers. Besides, think back, did you ever read where the Sox were actively pursuing both pitchers? I never did and I must have close to 20 websites dedicated to following all things baseball.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe as fans, but I doubt as far as Sox management is concerned. I just can't see Reinsdorf forking out $180m for two pitchers. Besides, think back, did you ever read where the Sox were actively pursuing both pitchers? I never did and I must have close to 20 websites dedicated to following all things baseball.

I read that Keuchel was on our list of FA wants from day 1, before Wheeler ever came into the conversation...I presume that means they both were.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Keuchel was on our list of FA wants from day 1, before Wheeler ever came into the conversation...I presume that means they both were.
I read something along those lines too, but only in the Sox are interested in blah blah blah type of articles. When it came to actual negotiations, it was strictly Wheeler until he rejected our offer. Only afterward do I recall anything with respect to serious talks involving Keuchel. We'll never know because either scenario is just a guess. But I'll stake my incredible reputation :crazy: on the Sox never having considered both pitchers.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins signed Anderton Simmons to play SS - plugging one of their biggest holes as a team. At $10 million Simmons is a value - considering former White Sox SS Siemons just signed his deal for $18 million. Former SS Polonco can now move to 2nd base.

On the other hand Simmons is 31 and has shown signs of breakdown physically - having played only about one half the games last season for the Angels. When playing he is possibly the best defensive SS in the AL.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins signed Anderton Simmons to play SS - plugging one of their biggest holes as a team. At $10 million Simmons is a value - considering former White Sox SS Siemons just signed his deal for $18 million. Former SS Polonco can now move to 2nd base.

On the other hand Simmons is 31 and has shown signs of breakdown physically - having played only about one half the games last season for the Angels. When playing he is possibly the best defensive SS in the AL.
That's what I was saying a while back when it appeared to be when the Sox were the only team in the Central attempting to fill holes. It looked like we were set to dominate in '21. But we had to figure at some point the Twins were going to start doing likewise. It's a good signing for them. Still, they're still way worse off than they were last year based on who they've signed vs who they've either released or remain free agents. They need more signings starting with locking down Nelson Cruz.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs sign Joc Pederson to a 1 year, $7m contract. We signed Adam Eaton for 1/$8m. Which team do you think made the better deal?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm hoping adam feels the need to prove he can still play. he's not ancient yet.
Well I do feel that assuming Eaton is healthy for the entire season - pretty big assumption - then he's the better overall fit for our ballclub. Pederson is primarily a LF and is not as good defensively as Eaton. But his bat, at least against RH pitching provides a lot more pop. Again, if Adam is healthy all year, then no regrets.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally - I would have gone ahead and signed one of those $8 million dollar starters, But, this is certainly a White Sox staple to sign multiple fingers crossed guys (Like Rodon) and hope someone emerges out of Kopech, Lopez, Lambert and Stievers. I'm sure they also tell themselves that Katz is their ace in the hole - like they told themselves for years Coop will fix 'em - until it was clear the game passed him by.

If this pattern hold true - Collins will have a job to start the season as a DH and 2nd catcher and perhaps @idseer will prove correct - that once the Sox can cheat Vaughn out of a service year -- they will bring him up and hand him the DH keys.

It might make overall sense for the Sox to hold their ammo on adding to the team until the trade deadline nears - and then they will have a better picture of the team finances and needs.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally - I would have gone ahead and signed one of those $8 million dollar starters, But, this is certainly a White Sox staple to sign multiple fingers crossed guys (Like Rodon) and hope someone emerges out of Kopech, Lopez, Lambert and Stievers. I'm sure they also tell themselves that Katz is their ace in the hole - like they told themselves for years Coop will fix 'em - until it was clear the game passed him by.

If this pattern hold true - Collins will have a job to start the season as a DH and 2nd catcher and perhaps @idseer will prove correct - that once the Sox can cheat Vaughn out of a service year -- they will bring him up and hand him the DH keys.

It might make overall sense for the Sox to hold their ammo on adding to the team until the trade deadline nears - and then they will have a better picture of the team finances and needs.
it may also depend on whether we get a full season of baseball this year. i would guess all players and personnel will have had their vaccinations by then (got mine a couple days ago!) and so there should be no hold up, tho with the new variants the future is still a little muddled.