• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally - I would have gone ahead and signed one of those $8 million dollar starters, But, this is certainly a White Sox staple to sign multiple fingers crossed guys (Like Rodon) and hope someone emerges out of Kopech, Lopez, Lambert and Stievers. I'm sure they also tell themselves that Katz is their ace in the hole - like they told themselves for years Coop will fix 'em - until it was clear the game passed him by.

If this pattern hold true - Collins will have a job to start the season as a DH and 2nd catcher and perhaps @idseer will prove correct - that once the Sox can cheat Vaughn out of a service year -- they will bring him up and hand him the DH keys.

It might make overall sense for the Sox to hold their ammo on adding to the team until the trade deadline nears - and then they will have a better picture of the team finances and needs.

It makes sense that the Sox could sit back and wait for the deadline. Their roster, as is, should be easily in the top 8 playoff spots. Only problem with that is if there is a player that fills a need, within budget, and available now it should be done. Bird in the hand...then if some need rears its head during the regular season you have the trade deadline deals to tweak.

No guarantee what we need will be reasonably available at the deadline so passing on it now would be silly...

Last edited:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest proposal by MLB seems to be a very fair compromise.......

MLB and the Players’ Union continue to haggle over conditions and rules for the upcoming season. On Friday, MLB made another attempt to find an acceptable solution, submitting a proposal to the MLBPA for a 154-game season without prorating player pay, per Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter). The proposal also includes delaying the season by a month and expanding playoffs. Joel Sherman of the New York Post adds that the universal designated hitter is also included in this offer. The MLBPA leadership are mulling the offer this weekend.

.......and it would shock the shit out of me if the union rejected this.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic and definitely belonging in Random Thoughts, I felt it was important enough to let folks in here know that the world famous Chicago Museum of Science and Industry will re-open to the public on March 7th. A hopeful sign of better days ahead. Say what you want about Chicago's crime, high taxes, and deterioration in many parts of the city, it still boasts some of the finest museums, architecture, and of course sports stadiums in the nation. It has been many years since I've been back there, but whenever I would visit my old hometown, I'd always make time to check out the museums and also spend a few days hiking around the forest preserves that ring the city.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic and definitely belonging in Random Thoughts, I felt it was important enough to let folks in here know that the world famous Chicago Museum of Science and Industry will re-open to the public on March 7th. A hopeful sign of better days ahead. Say what you want about Chicago's crime, high taxes, and deterioration in many parts of the city, it still boasts some of the finest museums, architecture, and of course sports stadiums in the nation. It has been many years since I've been back there, but whenever I would visit my old hometown, I'd always make time to check out the museums and also spend a few days hiking around the forest preserves that ring the city.

Ain't even gonna lie, and my younger self would be upset hearing this...but I prefer Field Museum to the Museum of Science and Industry.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my very best chicago memories of my youth in the late 50's and early 60's was the museum of science and industry. all the hands on exhibits and the spaciousness of the place had me in awe.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain't even gonna lie, and my younger self would be upset hearing this...but I prefer Field Museum to the Museum of Science and Industry.
my very best chicago memories of my youth in the late 50's and early 60's was the museum of science and industry. all the hands on exhibits and the spaciousness of the place had me in awe.
Hey Jiddy, you're in good company (or bad perhaps), but I'm with you. I love both museums, as well as a number of others (the Art Institute just kills), but the Field Museum for me is first amongst equals. The grandeur of the architecture, that main hall when you first enter, and of course the tremendous exhibits are second to none. I've actually been to perhaps the two most famous natural history museums in the world over the years - New York's and London's, and I'm telling you, to me they rank behind our city's baby.

And iddy, the very first museum I ever visited, which was with my family, was the MS&C. I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6. It was also the first museum I ever attended as part of a school field trip. My two oldest and endearing memories of the place were the planes hanging off the ceiling and the baby chicken hatchlings. Later on in the years, exhibits like the captured German U Boat, the mine, and the preserved 20's street of Chicago all stuck indelibly in my mind. It's a shame they now charge a separate fee for the U Boat, but if one has never visited the museum before, I'd still say go for it, definitely worth the extra cost.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Jiddy, you're in good company (or bad perhaps), but I'm with you. I love both museums, as well as a number of others (the Art Institute just kills), but the Field Museum for me is first amongst equals. The grandeur of the architecture, that main hall when you first enter, and of course the tremendous exhibits are second to none. I've actually been to perhaps the two most famous natural history museums in the world over the years - New York's and London's, and I'm telling you, to me they rank behind our city's baby.

And iddy, the very first museum I ever visited, which was with my family, was the MS&C. I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6. It was also the first museum I ever attended as part of a school field trip. My two oldest and endearing memories of the place were the planes hanging off the ceiling and the baby chicken hatchlings. Later on in the years, exhibits like the captured German U Boat, the mine, and the preserved 20's street of Chicago all stuck indelibly in my mind. It's a shame they now charge a separate fee for the U Boat, but if one has never visited the museum before, I'd still say go for it, definitely worth the extra cost.

*deep sigh*

Man...One of my great regrets is missing out on the British Museum when we went to London.

My wife had it on the agenda right after we got in day 1 for a few hours (We were only there for a few days and had a LOT packed in)...We had had some friends meet up with us on the same trip (it was a tour thing) They wanted to go to Madame Tussaud's and we figured ok as to start the trip off on a good footing.

I still kick myself for allowing that to happen. Madame Tussaud's...*tears of unfathomable sadness*

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*deep sigh*

Man...One of my great regrets is missing out on the British Museum when we went to London.

My wife had it on the agenda right after we got in day 1 for a few hours (We were only there for a few days and had a LOT packed in)...We had had some friends meet up with us on the same trip (it was a tour thing) They wanted to go to Madame Tussaud's and we figured ok as to start the trip off on a good footing.

I still kick myself for allowing that to happen. Madame Tussaud's...*tears of unfathomable sadness*
When my wife & I took a combo London/Paris trip, which is now going on about 15 years ago, I made it a point with London in particular to visit as many museums as possible. One thing that blows my mind is that they're all free all the time - or at least back then they were. They accept donations, but there's no mandatory entrance charge. And the Brits have some of the finest museums in the world. I know, there's always some place we wish we had visited whenever we take a trip. I'd love to one day make a return visit to both cities, altho if push came to shove and we could only choose one, it would be London.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest proposal by MLB seems to be a very fair compromise.......

MLB and the Players’ Union continue to haggle over conditions and rules for the upcoming season. On Friday, MLB made another attempt to find an acceptable solution, submitting a proposal to the MLBPA for a 154-game season without prorating player pay, per Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter). The proposal also includes delaying the season by a month and expanding playoffs. Joel Sherman of the New York Post adds that the universal designated hitter is also included in this offer. The MLBPA leadership are mulling the offer this weekend.

.......and it would shock the shit out of me if the union rejected this.
Hmmm, looks like I'll be getting ready to be shocked, because the union is expected to reject the offer.

Normally, I try to stay neutral when it comes to owners/union squabbles. Usually both sides have valid points in their respective stances on the various issues. But this is one time where I'm just friggin' dumbfounded over the union's position on this, especially considering the offer only applies to the upcoming season, which remains ripe with covid. Both sides will be starting from scratch when negotiations commence with the 2022 bargaining agreement.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, looks like I'll be getting ready to be shocked, because the union is expected to reject the offer.

Normally, I try to stay neutral when it comes to owners/union squabbles. Usually both sides have valid points in their respective stances on the various issues. But this is one time where I'm just friggin' dumbfounded over the union's position on this, especially considering the offer only applies to the upcoming season, which remains ripe with covid. Both sides will be starting from scratch when negotiations commence with the 2022 bargaining agreement.
can't read it.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give them all shots and let's play ball.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does this mean for the playoffs? 5 teams?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting article as to whether the pendulum might start to swing back to teams valuing high contact/low strikeout hitters. It makes for a good read, but as a White Sox fan, it's also a bit insulting, as the writer omits Madrigal when listing his sample base.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it just mine or did everyone else in here have trouble linking on today?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much BS being pumped into this bulletin board (and I'm only like 50% of it) - sometimes you have to call a plumber and root the drains clean.