• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is there any doubt among you sox fans that giolito has had diminished results since the crackdown on foreign substances. as much as i despise donaldson, i think he was right about gio. what do you think?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is there any doubt among you sox fans that giolito has had diminished results since the crackdown on foreign substances. as much as i despise donaldson, i think he was right about gio. what do you think?
Hmmm, not sure I agree with this. I think he's been diminishing all season long. Maybe a touch so more since the substance crackdown (altho yesterday's performance contradicts this a bit), but I believe Gio has regressed this entire year. Not 2018 regression, but certainly not as good as his previous two seasons. If the playoffs were to start today, I hope TLR would do the right thing and have him no higher than 3rd in the rotation. To me, any "ace" anointments go out the door when the postseason commences.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Cease and Giolito used sticky stuff to assist in pitching - as reportedly 80% of all pitchers did. His issues are primarily control issues - he hasn't had in two years. It could be argued that Giolito's control is off because he hasn't made the pitching motion adjustments down from relying on spider tack. His spin rate relative to the rest of the league will theoretically the same.

Giolito should have taken the contract reportedly offered in spring training - his value will now be affordable - and I say sign him if the price is right. He knows how to pitch.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the playoffs were to start today, I hope TLR would do the right thing and have him no higher than 3rd in the rotation. To me, any "ace" anointments go out the door when the postseason commences.
totally agree. this is where 'loyalty' often gets in the way of brains. if our dumb owner were the manager no doubt gio would start no matter how bad he's been. one of the main reasons i can't stand reinsdork.
i guess we'll see what tlr does,

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A consideration:

The best two pitchers at this date for a White Sox playoff rotation would be Lynn and Rodon - both lefties. TLR may well start Lynn - Giolito - Rodon to feed the opposition Lefty - righty - lefty starters.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it's time to catch the draft. I have it DVR'd, but I don't think I've missed too much of it, so I should get caught up in a hurry. It will be very interesting to see who the Sox take with their pick at #22.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's Colson Montgomery, 19 - SS, Southridge HS (IN) - 6'4", 205lb. Bats/Throws L/R
Tall, multi-talented athletic player who excels in 3 sports: Baseball, Basketball, Football.

This kid was predicted by more analysts and draft boards to land with the Good Guys than any other prospect. Brings an always-needed lefty bat to the table. If we need further proof of his multi-sport talent, he's their school's all time scoring leader in basketball, as well as their starting QB in football. Had a strong performance at the World Wood Bat Association World Championship in October and powered Southridge to its first state 3-A championship this spring. I'd call this a pretty decent resume.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shortstop eh? Sign that Jerry won’t pay Timmy when the time comes?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's Colson Montgomery, 19 - SS, Southridge HS (IN) - 6'4", 205lb. Bats/Throws L/R
Tall, multi-talented athletic player who excels in 3 sports: Baseball, Basketball, Football.

This kid was predicted by more analysts and draft boards to land with the Good Guys than any other prospect. Brings an always-needed lefty bat to the table. If we need further proof of his multi-sport talent, he's their school's all time scoring leader in basketball, as well as their starting QB in football. Had a strong performance at the World Wood Bat Association World Championship in October and powered Southridge to its first state 3-A championship this spring. I'd call this a pretty decent resume.
this pick has the smell of kw all over it. likes multi-sport bodies on the team. too bad baseball doesn't have baskets or goalposts.
i say ... jacks of all trades and masters of none. why didn't he go for a catcher?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this pick has the smell of kw all over it. likes multi-sport bodies on the team. too bad baseball doesn't have baskets or goalposts.
i say ... jacks of all trades and masters of none. why didn't he go for a catcher?
Interesting question. From a positional standpoint, the catcher spot topped my wish list. The two highest rated catchers in the draft, Henry Davis and Harry Ford, were selected with the 1st and 12th picks, respectively. I knew the Sox had no chance with those two, but I thought high schooler Joe Mack might have been on their radar. But obviously he wasn't nor was he on the radar of the remaining teams in the first round, altho he was taken with the 31st pick by the Marlins in the supplemental draft that immediately followed the completion of the 1st round.

Guess we'll have to see how this plays out. Jiddy might not be too far off when asking whether or not the Sox will pony up the coinage when TA's contract comes up for renewal after the '24 season. At this juncture of his career Timmay is and will remain grossly underpaid thru the remainder of his contract, and assuming his career trajectory maintains its present course, will undoubtedly be seeking a monster-sized payday. Perhaps, not-so-coincidentally, Montgomery would be in his age 23 season by '25. Just about the right age to take over SS duties. Of course that's only if Anderson waves buhbye.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montgomery was selected for his hit and power tools - he may be good enough to stick at short stop, but I'm guessing will be a infielder ready for any big league opportunity.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I understand it - Montgomery was considered too old for a HS #1 draft pick at 19. Of course, one year at a community college and Montgomery would be young again. Crazy MLB logic. Good on the White Sox for not falling for the age garbage.

The next two picks will be High Schoolers too (unless there is left behind a college pitcher with great promise - maybe a guy out for tommy john.

Then the balance of the top 10 rounds will be college guys who will be asked to sign below slot - in order for the Sox to save up over slot money for talking kids out of the college scholarships to turn pro in the last 10 rounds.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A consideration:

The best two pitchers at this date for a White Sox playoff rotation would be Lynn and Rodon - both lefties. TLR may well start Lynn - Giolito - Rodon to feed the opposition Lefty - righty - lefty starters.
Don't know why I didn't notice this till just now, but in reading over the recent posts, I happened to catch this rare faux pas from you Mingo. So just to clarify, Lynn is a righty. But that means we can still split the starters in the R-L-R approach you suggested, yet have Lynn & Rodon as our first two starters. Kinda of a have our cake and eat it too approach, as in:

Game 1, Lynn - R
Game 2, Rodon - L
Game 3, Giolito - R

Of course this includes two variables. #1, will all three pitchers be at their relative current levels by the end of the season. #2, Will TLR still make Gio the Game 1 starter based on his 'ace' status regardless of the stats.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why I didn't notice this till just now, but in reading over the recent posts, I happened to catch this rare faux pas from you Mingo. So just to clarify, Lynn is a righty. But that means we can still split the starters in the R-L-R approach you suggested, yet have Lynn & Rodon as our first two starters. Kinda of a have our cake and eat it too approach, as in:

Game 1, Lynn - R
Game 2, Rodon - L
Game 3, Giolito - R

Of course this includes two variables. #1, will all three pitchers be at their relative current levels by the end of the season. #2, Will TLR still make Gio the Game 1 starter based on his 'ace' status regardless of the stats.
Excellent update - I take my humility with pratfalls!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent update - I take my humility with pratfalls!
It was all said with due respect my brutha - besides, it still reinforces your point that TLR should split games with a R-L-R approach.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 will the sox make the playoffs?