• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found the "I'm impressed with the amazing golf ball whacker guy at the range" guy.
No, I'm just saying when you hit one that far - there is no debate - drop the bat.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two of the AL's most perplexing teams remain the Twins and Royals. There isn't a soul in the baseball universe who would have had the Twins with a 22-35 record at this point in the season. And the Royals continue their roller coast of a season, now on a 5 game winning streak and only 1 game behind the Indians for 2nd place in the Central.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Killer schedule coming up. After this series at home is completed against Detroit, we have the following:

3 home vs the Jays
3 at the Tigers
3 home vs the Rays
4 at the 'Stros

This batch oughta test our mettle.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Killer schedule coming up. After this series at home is completed against Detroit, we have the following:

3 home vs the Jays
3 at the Tigers
3 home vs the Rays
4 at the 'Stros

This batch oughta test our mettle.
Every year the Rays are good and I can't figure out why. And no one cares down there.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of all the impressive plays - and there are many - my favorite Billy Hamilton play was the face burn he took sliding into home on his inside the park home run (scored as a triple and one base error). Hamilton took abrasions all down the vertical bridge of his nose to a cut on the lip. It's like watching Johnny Pods from 2005 only better somehow.

Are the White Sox players into it - the game flow? Giolito managed to get his butt thrown out of a game while he was just an out of rotation pitcher sitting in the dugout. It's an odd thing, but it is an example for how this group of players is so focused on the team's success minute to minute it doesn't matter what the issue is - they are looking out for each other. Giolito is one of the team leaders and the culture of this White Sox team is built around team success.

As a fan - one of the things I'm most interesting in seeing is the team celebration on a walk off win. These White Sox are really into the celebration mob scene. It was so nice to see Yermin Mercedes be the center of it last night.

In the category of "Tony La Russa must be doing something right:" Yermin Mercedes was going on a miserable slump like 0-25 at bats - and Tony keeps him in the order batting 5th - showing his confidence in Yermin's ability to make important hitting contributions to the team. So last night -Yermin gets the walk off hit for the win. Mercedes isn't a .400 hitter, but Tony is sending him the message that the manager is confident he is a a very good hitter and valuable to the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes will gets pulled out of this slump by the confidence boost he got from management.

On the subject of La Russa - Jake Lamb's usage has been masterful as La Russa finds just the right - right handed pitchers to start Lamb in the batting order. Lamb would be struggling as an every day player, but with Mendick and Vaughn La Russa has options to play him against fast ball reliant right handed pitchers. This strategy has led to a .280 BA and 4 hrs. and a .397 OBP.

In the Grandal fan club - they tell stories about the sly Yas Grandal leading the league in walks while his knee was recovering and thereby trained the pitchers to throw him strikes when his knee got better so he can litter the stands with home run balls.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I could give you six bullseyes Mingo - one for each of the above paragraphs - I would.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the category of "Tony La Russa must be doing something right:" Yermin Mercedes was going on a miserable slump like 0-25 at bats - and Tony keeps him in the order batting 5th - showing his confidence in Yermin's ability to make important hitting contributions to the team.
and so in his infinite wisdom he sits mercedes against a left hander today.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and so in his infinite wisdom he sits mercedes against a left hander today.
You know he worked Mercedes in as a Catcher today - so Tony is lining up an option to cut Collins loose - if need be.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know he worked Mercedes in as a Catcher today - so Tony is lining up an option to cut Collins loose - if need be.
maybe. collins does suck. but i think he HAD to ph him in that situation. mercedes might not catch again all year. also, don't know if you noticed but he looked uncomfortable back there. at least twice stretching out his left leg as if it bothered him.
if they cut collins loose i'm sure they'll replace him with another catcher but i think it'd have to be via a trade because they don't have anybody in their system.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe. collins does suck. but i think he HAD to ph him in that situation. mercedes might not catch again all year. also, don't know if you noticed but he looked uncomfortable back there. at least twice stretching out his left leg as if it bothered him.
if they cut collins loose i'm sure they'll replace him with another catcher but i think it'd have to be via a trade because they don't have anybody in their system.
They do have Seby Zavala, who allegedly has a decent glove, but not much of a stick.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is doing real well right now and fun is being had, as per the norm. But that stuff can turn fast. The real litmus test for not only the team but LaRussa will be the playoffs. There are few guys out there that understand the Chicago culture of losing where fans always expect and are waiting to pounce upon a team/coach's shorcomings...how it will be when the expectations/stress rise in the playoffs. LaRussa actually does understand this (assuming he's all there upstairs...lulz). Be interesting to see how it goes. Lotta peeps in our management are gonna have egg on their face if we get bounced first round again. No pressure Tony.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is doing real well right now and fun is being had, as per the norm. But that stuff can turn fast. The real litmus test for not only the team but LaRussa will be the playoffs. There are few guys out there that understand the Chicago culture of losing where fans always expect and are waiting to pounce upon a team/coach's shorcomings...how it will be when the expectations/stress rise in the playoffs. LaRussa actually does understand this (assuming he's all there upstairs...lulz). Be interesting to see how it goes. Lotta peeps in our management are gonna have egg on their face if we get bounced first round again. No pressure Tony.
I hope it holds, but from my anecdotal observations over the years - the team with the best starting pitching usual does well in the playoffs - so all the symbols may come up winner this time (and if not -fire the manager - give him bus fare to Cooperstown).

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you running Magical Season bingo cards - you must add the game where sensational defensive CF - Hamilton has to go on the IL - the guy Hamilton replaced Engel shows up ready to go and reaches over the fence to bring back a home run.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun little day off bits of random info:

*The Good Guys still have the highest run differential in the Majors
*Our 23-10 home record is the best in the Majors as well
*The Rays otoh have this identical W-L record.........but it's on the road - dayum!!
*The Giants record remains the best in the Majors and I'll bet absolutely no one would have had them pegged for that at this point in the season
*Pretty much the same belief with those other Sox, who are tied with us for the 2nd best record in the AL - admit it, whuda thunk
*The Reds Jesse Winker (who?) would be a perfect fit in a Sox joisey. Only 27, plays a solid RF, can hit and jack with the best of them, plus a lefty to boot - too bad he's not a FA until '24
*There are currently 9 pitchers with either 7 or 8 wins and at least theoretically on pace for a 20 win season. Interestingly enough one of those, the A's Yusmeiro Petit with 7 W's, is the only one strictly pitching out of the pen.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2020 the average number of baseballs put into play per game was 112. Typically the major league figures it will take 8-12 dozen balls for game day. I remember when I was a kid going to AAA Denver Bears games in the 60s the ushers would come down and try and offer you a future ticket - if game them the ball back. Now they change the ball if it got dirt on it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised no one brought up this additional little tidbit, including me. At 4 games up on Cleveland, the Sox have the largest lead of the 6 divisions.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised no one brought up this additional little tidbit, including me. At 4 games up on Cleveland, the Sox have the largest lead of the 6 divisions.
Damn straight. The best part of this White Sox opening season for me is - they haven't played their best baseball yet.