• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for some way-too-early trade deadline talk. I mean, we're looking at almost 11 weeks till the deadline. A lot could transpire which might alter as to how we approach it. But I'd say at this point and if there are no major setbacks to our existing roster, the one scenario I could see where action could be necessary is obtaining a veteran OF, preferably one with above avg defense, a lefty bat, and power. We have no idea if/when Robert & Jimenez will return this season. We're still a couple of weeks away from Engel returning, which will at least temper the need a bit for veteran help.

The one thing with this surprisingly parity of a season so far is there are no clear cut teams who are conceding the campaign already and are willing to discuss parting ways with existing talent for prospects. Right now the two worst records belong to the Twins and Tigers, who would probably be loathe to discuss any trade with our team, and that's assuming they'd be sellers to begin with, especially the Twins. The 3rd worst record belongs to the Rockies, who might offer a trade candidate in Charlie Blackmon. At 34 (35 on 7/1/21), Charlie's a bit long in the tooth, and so far 2021 has been a meh year for him to date. But he's been fairly consistent in previous years, even during last season's covid campaign. The good news is he's signed thru 2023, but the bad news is the contract for its duration is worth in excess of $40 mil. That's a lot of coin for a guy who'd be 37 at it's expiration. Still, the Rockies are going nowhere fast and I can see them wanting to cut back on expenses. The question therefore is what would it take to obtain his services. Unless the Rockies would be willing to eat a decent portion of that contract, I'd hope Hahn wouldn't offer too much in return.

A more tantalizing possibility is if the Rangers might be willing to part ways with Joey Gallo, who's been on my personal radar for a couple of years. In his age 27 season, he obviously brings youth to the equation. He also possesses more power, better range and a stronger throwing arm than does Blackmon. The one thing he's not known for however, is a high BA, being his career avg so far is just .210 - as in below the Mendoza line material. But when healthy, for which he struggles at avoiding injury, the man can jack with the best of them. He's arbitration-eligible for 2022, then becomes a FA thereafter. At the moment, his is an extremely team-friendly contract, which is always music to Jerry's ears. The question here is whether the Rangers could be sellers by the deadline. A number of analysts had them pegged in the offseason as being the 2nd worst team in baseball, ahead of only the Pirates. Yet up until their current 6 game losing streak, they've otherwise been competitive. What would it take to acquire his services? My guess is a lot more than it would for Blackmon.

If there are other candidates worthy of pursuit, please feel free to chime in.
I wish these local writers would quit stealing my ideas!!!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish these local writers would quit stealing my ideas!!!

I also get the feeling sometimes these writers lurk on bulletin boards looking for topics. It wouldn't be a bad idea - especially since most of them have originality rolling around in their heads like a bee bee in a mobile home.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony had a little lamb
Little lamb, little lamb
Tony had a little lamb
His stats were just a zero
And everywhere that Tony went
Tony went, Tony went
Everywhere that Tony went
Jake Lamb was sure to go

He followed him to the stadium one day
Stadium one day, stadium one day
He followed him to the stadium one day
Which was against all common sense
It made the fans laugh and play
Laugh and play, laugh and play
It made the fans laugh and play
To see Jake Lamb at the stadium

And so the owner turned him out
Turned him out, turned him out
And so the owner turned him out
But still he lingered near
And waited patiently
Patiently, patiently
And wai-aited patiently
Til Tony did appear

Tony had a little lamb
Little lamb, little lamb
Tony had a little lamb
Its stats were just a zero
And everywhere that Tony went
Tony went, Tony went
Everywhere that Tony went
Jake lamb was sure to go

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
E1xzAtnXMAUwpgv

E1xzAtpXsAEc_GY

"Yoan Moncada travel day"

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madrigal and Cease just moved WAY UP in my book.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox Rookie of the year race:

1) Yermin Mercedes
2) Dylan Cease
3) Michael Kopech
4) Nicky Madrigal and Andrew Vaughn tied

It's kind of amazing how many guys have rookie status on this team.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May 19 was a very big win for the Sox:

1) Giolito's change up was working as an out pitch and a swing and miss pitch for the first time this season - consequently Giolito had his best pitching start of the season. This occurred at just the right time as the 2-1 win restored a lot of confidence after the previous night's walk off loss.

2) Hendriks - also had his best outing of the season for the save

3) The idea to use the travel day to NY - as a "dress like Yoan Moncada Day" was brilliant and showed just how close this team is in the locker room.

4) The Sox took the series with this win - even though - Captain Joe Abreu was out - so the team picked him up.

5) For God knows what reason - La Russa decided to throw Mercedes under the bus - for missing a sign while batting against a position player with an 11 run league. The win last night over came that stench. (all except for Mercedes who didn't look himself at bat last night).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May 19 was a very big win for the Sox:

1) Giolito's change up was working as an out pitch and a swing and miss pitch for the first time this season - consequently Giolito had his best pitching start of the season. This occurred at just the right time as the 2-1 win restored a lot of confidence after the previous night's walk off loss.

2) Hendriks - also had his best outing of the season for the save

3) The idea to use the travel day to NY - as a "dress like Yoan Moncada Day" was brilliant and showed just how close this team is in the locker room.

4) The Sox took the series with this win - even though - Captain Joe Abreu was out - so the team picked him up.

5) For God knows what reason - La Russa decided to throw Mercedes under the bus - for missing a sign while batting against a position player with an 11 run league. The win last night over came that stench. (all except for Mercedes who didn't look himself at bat last night).
All excellent points (as usual). Sadly, #5 is the most pathetic. I'm still trying to figure out what made TLR go so public with his stupid position. He could have just as easily and QUIETLY voiced his opinion with the Yerminator one-on-one.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All excellent points (as usual). Sadly, #5 is the most pathetic. I'm still trying to figure out what made TLR go so public with his stupid position. He could have just as easily and QUIETLY voiced his opinion with the Yerminator one-on-one.
not surprisingly, this is all reindork's fault. hiring a 78 year old guy with a drinking problem who's been out of the game for 11 years was his typical way of fucking this team in the ass. with EVERYTHING coming together this year he decided his needs were more important than the team's and over-ruled hahn. why do you think i keep yelling "REINSDORK, SELL THIS TEAM!"?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not surprisingly, this is all reindork's fault. hiring a 78 year old guy with a drinking problem who's been out of the game for 11 years was his typical way of fucking this team in the ass. with EVERYTHING coming together this year he decided his needs were more important than the team's and over-ruled hahn. why do you think i keep yelling "REINSDORK, SELL THIS TEAM!"?
Hard to argue there iddy. While not as openly adamant as you have been, I should point out that I too have long hoped Jerry would sell the Sox. I do feel he at least has been a bit more open as to how an organization can build a long term winning team and not just be a single season wonder, like we've pretty much been since he bought the club. But overriding Hahn on the TLR hire showed he's still mired in some of the old ways of thinking.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I could think of for Tony to make this public was to perhaps forestall retaliation against Mercedes by Twins pitching, but they did so anyway and Tony sounded like he didn't have a problem with that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I could think of for Tony to make this public was to perhaps forestall retaliation against Mercedes by Twins pitching, but they did so anyway and Tony sounded like he didn't have a problem with that.
Your idea makes sense, so no argument there. But it still could have been handled better, perhaps thru back channels. Tony could have easily contacted Twins mgr Rocco Baldelli, give him the scoop on having chewed out Mercedes, then ask him to have his pitchers not retaliate. Could have been much more effective.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...They threw a fat guy on the mound for the lulz and to save their pen...And our fat guy launched one on him.

LaRussa made this into something all by himself. That's what is most annoying. iddy's article nails the most important thing: This team was going to win with or without LaRussa. So yeah, not throwing your player under the bus and avoiding turning nothingburgers into spectacles would probably be the best approach.

He's not getting fired and this will pass in time...so whatever.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technical question that hopefully one of you 'experts' might be able to answer. Angel great Mike Trout was just placed on the 10 day IL with a severe strained calf. It's believed he will miss the next 6-8 weeks.

So my question is if he's going to be out for that long, why is he only on a 10 day IL? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technical question that hopefully one of you 'experts' might be able to answer. Angel great Mike Trout was just placed on the 10 day IL with a severe strained calf. It's believed he will miss the next 6-8 weeks.

So my question is if he's going to be out for that long, why is he only on a 10 day IL? Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't really know the answer, but it won't stop me from opining - the 10 day IL is the way station until all the diagnostics and 2nd opinions come in - and the 6-8 weeks is just the original diagnosis.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What troubles me most about this latest controversy is how openly the players disagreed with LaRussa. It was like they were responding to comments from the opposing team’s manager.

Not excited about a manager that doesn’t seem to have his team behind him.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What troubles me most about this latest controversy is how openly the players disagreed with LaRussa. It was like they were responding to comments from the opposing team’s manager.

Not excited about a manager that doesn’t seem to have his team behind him.
And so much for TLR being correct about the Twins not having any bad intentions of throwing at Mercedes for his 3-0 count dinger: