• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like almost out of nowhere ChiSoxFan suddenly stopped posting in here. Too bad, he's a good dude, often posting in a little tongue-in-cheek style. Hope he returns this season. Oh well, in the meantime, we at least are blessed with a once-every-three-month post from richig.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The toughest team to figure out this year? The Royals. They get off to a pretty good start for the early part of the season. And now are the owners of a 10 game losing streak. I'm actually rooting for them to win tomorrow. They're in town Friday for a 4 game set. Nothing worst than facing a team that's on a horrific losing streak because you know it's just a matter of time before they break it.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a Grandfather who was a Phillies fan - I was visiting him one year in the middle 60s when his Phillies had a 27 game losing streak. Poor guy watched every game.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like almost out of nowhere ChiSoxFan suddenly stopped posting in here. Too bad, he's a good dude, often posting in a little tongue-in-cheek style. Hope he returns this season. Oh well, in the meantime, we at least are blessed with a once-every-three-month post from richig.

richi is out there happy somewhere because of the Bears draft. I'm sure of it. That said, zero chance he's coming on a board with me and Grandal hitting .130. We need Yas to break out a little bit to make it happen.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While AAA Charlotte has had a bad start to the season - Jake Burger who hadn't played in two years and last played in A ball - has homered for his 3rd straight game. He also has had highlights fielding at 3rd base.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While AAA Charlotte has had a bad start to the season - Jake Burger who hadn't played in two years and last played in A ball - has homered for his 3rd straight game. He also has had highlights fielding at 3rd base.
It's unfortunate for Jake that he has Moncada in front of him and it doesn't look like Yoan is going anywhere soon. I'm sure Jake could easily transition over to 1st base, but the logjam is even greater at that position. Ditto with the DH spot. The man has worked hard overcoming some big time injuries and seems to be an extremely hard worker. In all honesty I think Jake's best shot at busting into the Majors is via trade.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoying all this while it lasts, hoping of course it lasts all year. :hope:

In the meantime, it's May 13, 2021, and............

*The Minnesota Twins have the worst record in Baseball. That's not a misprint.
*The Yerminator still leads the bigs in BA.
*As mentioned yesterday, the Good Guys lead both leagues in runs per game, despite being near the bottom in HRs. This could be partially explained by a significant increase in taking BB. They are currently ranked 8th in the game, which is way, way better than:
2017: 28th
2018: 29th
2019: 30th (aka dead last)
What made 2019 particularly painful is we were dead last as well in SO/BB ratio, and the next worst wasn't even close. We're still striking out a lot, but at least we're also taking walks.
*We're about to engage in a 4 game series against the team who has lost 11 straight. That makes me nervous.
*One of the starters will be Kopech, who I believe is pitching the twilght game of the twin bill tomorrow, so I'm excited to see that.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like @Jiddy pointed out - run differential tells a large part of the tale. It is the only team stat that combines - Pitching - Hitting and fielding into a result.

I think La Ru deserves some credit here. He has made what appear to be some dumb lineup decisions - dumb PH decisions (today's PH with Mercedes being the lone exception) - dumb bullpen decisions, but there is a saving grace. He never throws a player under the bus in public - he's always praising player contributions and skills - he makes sure everybody on the team feels like they have an important roll and when the pressure falls on how the team plays - he takes responsibility.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Sox have Jerry Narron working with Yermin Mercedes as a catcher - because the Sox need to move on from Collins - who has made himself into - at least - an average catcher, but is over his head when matched at the plate against mlb pitching. The roster spot will be needed when the boys come back from the injury list.

Ok - after much skepticism on my part - I'm beginning to accept the value of Billy Hamilton on this baseball team. He was as important to the series sweep of the Twins as any Sox player. I still marvel at how high above the wall Hamilton got on the HR yesterday - he was high enough to rob a HR that would land 5 rows back.

The Sox need to get on the same page for pop ups around Moncada's station on the field. Anderson's catch yesterday was Moncada's play on the 3rd baseline, but at least they didn't let the ball fall to the ground.

After watching Eloy Jimenez on LF - I just can't get over how well Andrew Vaughn and Danny Mendick play in the out field. Vaughn has already mastered the carom off the wall - a play that has befuddled Jimenez for his entire career.

Andrew Vaughn is becoming the batter @idseer promised us he would be - hats off to Iddy because that was a tough call considering Vaughn's lack of MLB experience.

I can't wait to see these Sox play in front of a full stadium of rabid Sox fans!

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whosnext.jpg

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Sox have Jerry Narron working with Yermin Mercedes as a catcher - because the Sox need to move on from Collins - who has made himself into - at least - an average catcher, but is over his head when matched at the plate against mlb pitching. The roster spot will be needed when the boys come back from the injury list.

Ok - after much skepticism on my part - I'm beginning to accept the value of Billy Hamilton on this baseball team. He was as important to the series sweep of the Twins as any Sox player. I still marvel at how high above the wall Hamilton got on the HR yesterday - he was high enough to rob a HR that would land 5 rows back.

The Sox need to get on the same page for pop ups around Moncada's station on the field. Anderson's catch yesterday was Moncada's play on the 3rd baseline, but at least they didn't let the ball fall to the ground.

After watching Eloy Jimenez on LF - I just can't get over how well Andrew Vaughn and Danny Mendick play in the out field. Vaughn has already mastered the carom off the wall - a play that has befuddled Jimenez for his entire career.

Andrew Vaughn is becoming the batter @idseer promised us he would be - hats off to Iddy because that was a tough call considering Vaughn's lack of MLB experience.

I can't wait to see these Sox play in front of a full stadium of rabid Sox fans!
2 things: it's an excellent point about yermin re-learning how to catch! collins and imo lamb are two wasted roster spots on this team (and i'm also beginning to wonder about garcia).
also, when eloy returns there is no way he should be put back in left field. i think vaughn should now be considered our left fielder, period! eloy is nothing more than a dh.

regarding your point concerning me .... i was totally trusting the overwhelming words of those in the know. players and coaches who worked with him. i'd never even seen him play so there was no expertise on my part.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things: it's an excellent point about yermin re-learning how to catch! collins and imo lamb are two wasted roster spots on this team (and i'm also beginning to wonder about garcia).
also, when eloy returns there is no way he should be put back in left field. i think vaughn should now be considered our left fielder, period! eloy is nothing more than a dh.
I like what you said and agree with your assessments, altho I still hold out a sliver of hope for Zack - but trust me, it's nothing more than a sliver. If we're lucky enough to see Eloy back in the lineup at any point, it should be as a DH only. VERY disappointed in Leury's play this year. If it's any consolation, this is undoubtedly his final year with the Sox, and that's good or bad as far as how he plays out the rest of the campaign. He's a FA after this season, so one way or the other he'll be looking for a new home.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jiddy no DOUBT posts the ugliest and oddest pictures of any poster in my memory. i am sure that when he played baseball he was always placed WAY out in left field! :humble:

True story. I played little league for a half season. Was fine at the plate but yeah, they hid me on the field in left...so that's funny. One fateful day I got a fastball right to the thumb...It was stubbed so bad I had to go to the hospital so they could burn a hole in to relieve the pressure.

Last time I ever played baseball in a league environment.