• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for all the Kaep supporters

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, I'm not saying Harbaugh made the wrong decision, I kind of think he made the right call, but the reports I read out of training camp were that Kaep was pretty inaccurate, he had a few fumbles he was bailed out on by his own team in the Rams game and he had an interception in the Saints game -- so my question is for the supporters -- how many of you are nervous about this decision and if you're not nervous, why do you think those earlier issues with Kaep are behind him, or is the upside worth those issues?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm concerned with how he does against the Rams this weekend. They've seen him before and will be prepared for him this week. I am also worried about how Kaep deals with a defense like the Patriots.

Kaep is not the new guy that teams don't have much film on anymore. Every snap he takes is making the next week that much harder right now as defenses will start throwing stuff at him to find his weakness. I just hope they never find one. ^^; I would say these next 2 weeks will be very telling though as to how this is all going to go for us.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, I'm not saying Harbaugh made the wrong decision, I kind of think he made the right call, but the reports I read out of training camp were that Kaep was pretty inaccurate, he had a few fumbles he was bailed out on by his own team in the Rams game and he had an interception in the Saints game -- so my question is for the supporters -- how many of you are nervous about this decision and if you're not nervous, why do you think those earlier issues with Kaep are behind him, or is the upside worth those issues?

Of course you are always nervous about turnovers but his upside is worth the risk of turnovers. QB's are going to throw interceptions so it is kind of hard to avoid that part but I feel like Kap won't throw too many more interceptions then Smith did. In his last 2 starts he hasn't fumbled so I think he is going to continue to work on that and it won't be an issue next year. He is only going to learn from his mistakes and work on what he needs to so they don't happen again. I think he is very smart and his work ethic is great so the sky is the limit for him and I feel like as he gets more starts those issues he has shown in the Rams game and the 2 or 3 throws in the Saints game will start to regress quite a bit.
But mistakes will happen, no QB is perfect so when he does throw INT's or fumbles the ball in the next 5 games we can't get all worked up about it and think he is going to continue to do that.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm concerned with how he does against the Rams this weekend. They've seen him before and will be prepared for him this week. I am also worried about how Kaep deals with a defense like the Patriots.

Kaep is not the new guy that teams don't have much film on anymore. Every snap he takes is making the next week that much harder right now as defenses will start throwing stuff at him to find his weakness. I just hope they never find one. ^^; I would say these next 2 weeks will be very telling though as to how this is all going to go for us.

I don't like how people can use that to why he might do bad. How much tape does everyone have on Alex Smith? I think its irrelevant how much film they have on a QB. It is the coaches job to game plan around those things defense will throw at him and for Kap to recognize what the coaches told him to watch out for. And I think he will do that, he is smart and I think he can read defenses better then we think.
And it would also be good for him to see a bunch of different defenses against the Patriots and other teams before the playoffs so he has seen a lot and can adjust and be better in the playoffs

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll keep my answer short because I think the message gets conveyed better when stated simply.

I am not nervous about Kaep making mistakes because I know he will. I support the decision to go with him because I also have confidence that he can make big plays to turn or save games. With experience, his mistakes should decrease.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll keep my answer short because I think the message gets conveyed better when stated simply.

I am not nervous about Kaep making mistakes because I know he will. I support the decision to go with him because I also have confidence that he can make big plays to turn or save games. With experience, his mistakes should decrease.

Perfect

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

haven't read this thread yet, but i'll go ahead and say the majority have been saying the upside is worth those issues.

IMO those 'issues' have been LESS than i would've predicted before the Bears game. so for me, not blowing that out of proportion.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agreed, short and simply stated.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly my biggest concern is what happens if we have a bad game. I mean like another Vikings or Giants game where the whole team just looks our of sync. What happens then?

Not really a Kaep concern though as this is a concern with either guy starting. At some point Harbaugh needs to be more firm in his commitment to one or the other, and then live or die by his decision. I figure that is what he's doing, but he keeps leaving the door open that this all just a week by week process.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line that a lot of people seem to be missing is that Alex Smith's numbers are horrible when he's under pressure. And although he's been dead accurate with his passes (when not pressured) the majority are short passes! His record under Jim Harbaugh is great but he really doesn't fit this offense, he's unable to utilize this talented receiver roster. No one outside of 49ers fans seem to realize that.

When you say you are scared of Kaep going up against Rams, Patriots, do you not think you'd be feeling the same with if Alex Smith was in there? If you ask me I feel infinitely better knowing we have a very mobile QB who has arguablely one of the best arms if not the best in the league. With the defense as good as it is, I don't expect Tom Brady to have an easy time or St Louis for the 2nd time. That is also a big reason why Alex Smith's record looks so good... the defense. The Ravens made Trent Dilfer look good too, some people fail to read in between the lines

Last edited by a moderator:

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly my biggest concern is what happens if we have a bad game. I mean like another Vikings or Giants game where the whole team just looks our of sync. What happens then?

Not really a Kaep concern though as this is a concern with either guy starting. At some point Harbaugh needs to be more firm in his commitment to one or the other, and then live or die by his decision. I figure that is what he's doing, but he keeps leaving the door open that this all just a week by week process.

Isn't that one of the reasons why we're going with CK? So we can try to win those games with a qb that can make the big plays.

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He dramatically improved all four years at Nevada and has improved since his first preseason games last year. That type of improvement takes a great work ethic which, by all accounts, he has. I have no reason to believe that he won't continue to improve and become even more dynamic this year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like how people can use that to why he might do bad. How much tape does everyone have on Alex Smith? I think its irrelevant how much film they have on a QB. It is the coaches job to game plan around those things defense will throw at him and for Kap to recognize what the coaches told him to watch out for. And I think he will do that, he is smart and I think he can read defenses better then we think.
And it would also be good for him to see a bunch of different defenses against the Patriots and other teams before the playoffs so he has seen a lot and can adjust and be better in the playoffs

Film only really matters for those who are getting by with unsustainable play, whether that is always leaving the pocket like Troy Smith, running it too much, etc. So I wouldn't say it's "irrelevant"; I would say that it won't bring down Kaep because he's the real deal, doing it the right way, no shortcuts, hard working, and willing to adapt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i will happen, just lilke it happens to Alex Smith, like it happens to all the QB's. but you stick with one guy unless he has multiple bad games, then you make that decision again.

this is the same thinking with any position on the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He dramatically improved all four years at Nevada and has improved since his first preseason games last year. That type of improvement takes a great work ethic which, by all accounts, he has. I have no reason to believe that he won't continue to improve and become even more dynamic this year.

he needs game experience to get better. Coaches need more game film to continue evaluating.

Kaep has already shown the physical stuff, now it is the mental improvement such as reading D's, and audibles.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that one of the reasons why we're going with CK? So we can try to win those games with a qb that can make the big plays.

Of course it is
Does that mean it all plays out that way though?
How do the fans, media, players, and coaches respond in the event of a bad game at this point? You don't think all it will take is 1 bad game for fingers and blame to start flying?

Kaep is not Joe Montana or Steve Young yet. He could be eventually, but he is now the starting QB for a Super Bowl contending team with only 2 starts. If say we get blown out by the Patriots and Kaep has a bad game what happens on Monday?

It just worries me that this whole thing could play out poorly for us and be a big distraction for the rest of the year. It's not really a Kaep concern though as it doesn't matter which of them starts the problem will follow them both. This is more of a team concern heading into the playoffs. I'd like to Harbaugh clearly name his starter soon and not leave the door open on a week to week basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, good answer. I was also impressed by reading what a hard worker and great student of the game he has been this season.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At some point Harbaugh needs to be more firm in his commitment to one or the other, and then live or die by his decision. I figure that is what he's doing, but he keeps leaving the door open that this all just a week by week process.

The QB will carry the entire team as the fans expect him to. He will create wins out of nothing even when the defence sucks. He will magically inspire the franchise to a glorious number six superbowl.

Harbaugh has shown from this that you cant take anything he says. Only thing you can go by is the actual lineup that takes the field.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is
How do the fans, media, players, and coaches respond in the event of a bad game at this point? You don't think all it will take is 1 bad game for fingers and blame to start flying?

Kaep is not Joe Montana or Steve Young yet. He could be eventually, but he is now the starting QB for a Super Bowl contending team with only 2 starts. If say we get blown out by the Patriots and Kaep has a bad game what happens on Monday?

It just worries me that this whole thing could play out poorly for us and be a big distraction for the rest of the year. It's not really a Kaep concern though as it doesn't matter which of them starts the problem will follow them both. This is more of a team concern heading into the playoffs. I'd like to Harbaugh clearly name his starter soon and not leave the door open on a week to week basis.

I see what you're trying to say. I thought you were talking about how CK would handle in-game adversity. But yeah, I agree with your concerns about how this will be handled if CK does struggle down the stretch. It's a tricky situation we're in where our SB contending team is dealing with a Qb controversy.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is

If Kaep keeps playing like he's been playing we should have a good run. But yeah if he falters... we are going down in flames. If he does falter though I hope it's over the next two games, because that is the only way that going back to Smith would be possible, and the only way the team could regain the identity it had with him at the helm in time for the playoffs. If Kaep plays well and flames out in the last couple regular season games we're screwed.

This is a pretty big gamble Harbaugh is taking but so far it's working out.