• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for all the Kaep supporters

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont hedge my words like alot of people seem to be doing. This move is wrong, 100%. It makes no sense and risks a potential Super Bowl winning season for your team.Here is my issue with the move: Kaep has great upside, nobody is arguing that his potential isnt better than Smiths. However you guys have a great running game and a great defense so you dont really need upside or potential RIGHT NOW. What you need is stability and a guy who isnt going to lose you games. This move by itself 100% guarantees you will have more mistakes made by your QB now than you would have had if Harbaugh had stayed with Smith. There is no way you wont A) because Kaep is younger and less experienced B) because the ONLY reason you are going to Kaep is because of his bigger arm, better athleticism, bigger playmaking ability. This means that if these things are the reason you make the move then you need to try and utilize them. That means MORE RISK. I see no reason to take more risk when you dont need to. Even if the upside is greater you DONT NEED IT TO BE to win now. You missed out on the SB last year because of a young guy making a bonehead mistake so now the cure to that is to play more young guys to make bonehead mistakes??? Its mind boggling. This move would make sense if you needed Kaep to win the SB, you dont, therefore its stupid.

Smith never lost any games?

News to me. I seem to recall two games this year where he looked like dogshit.

Did the muffed returns hurt? Yes. Smith completed one pass to a WR all game long. Did that hurt? Yes.

If Smith were able to throw the ball the way Kaep does, we'd have won that game last year, regardless of the muffed returns. Honestly, we wouldn't have been in a position to lose the game after the second one.

But that's the way Smith plays. He'd rather rely on his punter and kicker than on his arm and his WR's. You can't win a SB when your QB plays that way. We wouldn't have won the game in New Orleans with Smith at QB.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wont make some mistakes, he will make more. If for no reason other than the offense will open up more leading to more risk. Listen I dont give a shit if Kaep plays great the rest of the year, I hope he does but you dont need him to. You dont. You have a Super Bowl winning caliber team without him. Thats where the whole "upside" argument goes sideways. There is no higher upside than winning the SB and by going to Kaep you risk that WAY WAY more than you do by staying with Smith.

No we don't. We have an NFCC losing caliber team without him.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about that?? Im talking about playing the style of FB that you guys do. The style that crushes and physically dominates people. The style that runs and crams the ball down peoples throats. The style that doesnt MAKE MISTAKES. Im not talking about playing not to lose, Im talking about common God damn sense. Its amazing to me that you guys are all behind this, Id be pitching a fucking fit if my coach was taking my SB caliber team and putting it in the hands of a guy who has never ever done a damn thing.

Sounds to me like going against Kaep in the playoffs (if you guys manage to win the first game) terrifies a Falcons fan.

What has Smith ever done?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wont hedge my words like alot of people seem to be doing. This move is wrong, 100%. It makes no sense and risks a potential Super Bowl winning season for your team.Here is my issue with the move: Kaep has great upside, nobody is arguing that his potential isnt better than Smiths. However you guys have a great running game and a great defense so you dont really need upside or potential RIGHT NOW. What you need is stability and a guy who isnt going to lose you games. This move by itself 100% guarantees you will have more mistakes made by your QB now than you would have had if Harbaugh had stayed with Smith. There is no way you wont A) because Kaep is younger and less experienced B) because the ONLY reason you are going to Kaep is because of his bigger arm, better athleticism, bigger playmaking ability. This means that if these things are the reason you make the move then you need to try and utilize them. That means MORE RISK. I see no reason to take more risk when you dont need to. Even if the upside is greater you DONT NEED IT TO BE to win now. You missed out on the SB last year because of a young guy making a bonehead mistake so now the cure to that is to play more young guys to make bonehead mistakes??? Its mind boggling. This move would make sense if you needed Kaep to win the SB, you dont, therefore its stupid.

i get the gist and is why i thought Alex should start the Saints game. but after two games there is enough evidence to think those risks are not HIGH, those mistakes won't be plentiful.

disagree we can win it all with just this defense and a 'no mistake' Alex Smith. when you get into the play-offs, a hot team can move against our D. so we can't keep depending on field goals and then thinking our defense will hold.

Minnesota's offense moved against our D, the Rams offense had long drives, and the Giants certainly scored on us. play-off teams usually have good offenses, so we have to score ourselves.

bottom line is, it doesn't appear the risk and mistakes will be much more than Alex? by playing Kaep now - with five games left - he'll reduce those risks and mistakes.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds to me like going against Kaep in the playoffs (if you guys manage to win the first game) terrifies a Falcons fan.

What has Kaep ever done? lol

I'm happy as heck Kaep will start vs STL as we'll roll with the "hot hand" but Kaep still needs to win the games from on out....

NFC title gm and/or SB isn't guaranteed, we need to stay grounded and play to win.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can promise you that even if I was scared of playing SF it certainly wouldnt be because of Kaepernick. LOL. Your defense?? Sure. Gore?? Absolutely. A guy that has played 5 halves of football ( 1 bad, 2 great and 2 average)??? Hell no.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can promise you that even if I was scared of playing SF it certainly wouldnt be because of Kaepernick. LOL. Your defense?? Sure. Gore?? Absolutely. A guy that has played 5 halves of football ( 1 bad, 2 great and 2 average)??? Hell no.

what mistakes have Kaep made these last two games?

it wasn't as many as you're implying.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what mistakes have Kaep made these last two games?

it wasn't as many as you're implying.

Im not saying he has but the reality is that he will. Teams will adjust to his style and Harbaugh is going to use Kaeps skills to make his team better, that means more risk. Thats the ONLY reason CK is starting, bigger arm, more athletic, etc. That means you use those skills making for bigger plays for the Niners AND WAY more risk for them as well. You arent going to CK to do what Smith does or you would just stay with Smith.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm happy as heck Kaep will start vs STL as we'll roll with the "hot hand" but Kaep still needs to win the games from on out....

NFC title gm and/or SB isn't guaranteed, we need to stay grounded and play to win.

As much as Smith. That's the point. Nothing.

Saying we should stick with Smith because his replacement hasn't accomplished anything is asinine.

However, Kaep has physical tools that Smith doesn't possess.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im not saying he has but the reality is that he will. Teams will adjust to his style and Harbaugh is going to use Kaeps skills to make his team better, that means more risk. Thats the ONLY reason CK is starting, bigger arm, more athletic, etc. That means you use those skills making for bigger plays for the Niners AND WAY more risk for them as well. You arent going to CK to do what Smith does or you would just stay with Smith.

Kaep basically ran the same offense Alex did, he did add a few extended plays, and a few completed downfield passes. he will not be asked to throw downfield much more than what we've seen so far?

so yes, there will be some risks not being as experienced, but feel it is being overblown.

btw - teams adjust to a QB's style all the time, doesn't mean they can stop him.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's good. Because Smith didn't deliver a SB last year.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offensive scheme/gameplan hasn't changed because CK is playing... The 8 games Smith started and finished he was averaging 26 pass attempts per game, with the team averaging 30 rush attempts per game. In the last two games with CK, he had 23 attempts VS Chi and 25 VS NO, with the team rushing 29 times VS CHI and 31 times VS NO. In the Rams game, Smith and CK combined for 25 attempts and the team ran 34 times.

If you want to assume that the 49ers are going to use CK's strengths to turn into a pass first team, that is your choice man. Just don't go around dumping your assumptions on us as facts that the 49ers are switching offensive gears just because they made a QB switch. They are still running more than they are passing.

*edit* to add, I think they plan to open it up, but so far this is still a ground and pound offense, I'm not going to waste my time explaining how CK makes the passing offense better, my point is just that we're still a running team.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What has Smith ever done besides ride third fiddle to the running game and defense?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offensive scheme/gameplan hasn't changed because CK is playing... The 8 games Smith started and finished he was averaging 26 pass attempts per game, with the team averaging 30 rush attempts per game. In the last two games with CK, he had 23 attempts VS Chi and 25 VS NO, with the team rushing 29 times VS CHI and 31 times VS NO. In the Rams game, Smith and CK combined for 25 attempts and the team ran 34 times.

If you want to assume that the 49ers are going to use CK's strengths to turn into a pass first team, that is your choice man. Just don't go around dumping your assumptions on us as facts that the 49ers are switching offensive gears just because they made a QB switch. They are still running more than they are passing.

*edit* to add, I think they plan to open it up, but so far this is still a ground and pound offense, I'm not going to waste my time explaining how CK makes the passing offense better, my point is just that we're still a running team.

Didnt say they would be pass first. Thats nowhere in my posts but they are and will be a more vertical passing team with CK and they will definitely be taking more chances with him on the outside. Listen I get having the high hopes, I hope they work out for you (as long as its not against Atlanta :) ) but to pretend this move isnt high risk is lunacy. The reward of potentially winning a SB is great but you can do that with Alex and not have as much downside IMO. I guess we will see.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

First off, you'll have to forgive the excitement around here. We're still in the honeymoon and assessments of Kap's current ability and ceiling are going to be a bit unrealistic.

That said, you have to understand that he has exceeded expectations so far - he has brought the increase in big plays without a corresponding increase in bad plays. Right now he looks like a better option than Smith in many ways - and that's before you start talking about how much he has to learn and how fast he can potentially improve.

You won't find many bigger Smith fans than me, but its hard to argue with Harbaugh's stance given how they've played. Maybe Kap will slide a bit over next few weeks as teams get more tape on him, but his poised and confident play so far suggests they won't be able to bring him down too much.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith never lost any games?

News to me. I seem to recall two games this year where he looked like dogshit.

Did the muffed returns hurt? Yes. Smith completed one pass to a WR all game long. Did that hurt? Yes.

If Smith were able to throw the ball the way Kaep does, we'd have won that game last year, regardless of the muffed returns. Honestly, we wouldn't have been in a position to lose the game after the second one.

But that's the way Smith plays. He'd rather rely on his punter and kicker than on his arm and his WR's. You can't win a SB when your QB plays that way. We wouldn't have won the game in New Orleans with Smith at QB.

crabtree was playing hurt and we lost our other two wr's who were capable of starting. when morgan went down we should have went after another wr.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move by itself 100% guarantees you will have more mistakes made by your QB now than you would have had if Harbaugh had stayed with Smith. There is no way you wont A) because Kaep is younger and less experienced B) because the ONLY reason you are going to Kaep is because of his bigger arm, better athleticism, bigger playmaking ability. This means that if these things are the reason you make the move then you need to try and utilize them. That means MORE RISK.

Tell all of this to the Washington Redskins.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about that?? Im talking about playing the style of FB that you guys do. The style that crushes and physically dominates people. The style that runs and crams the ball down peoples throats. The style that doesnt MAKE MISTAKES. Im not talking about playing not to lose, Im talking about common God damn sense. Its amazing to me that you guys are all behind this, Id be pitching a fucking fit if my coach was taking my SB caliber team and putting it in the hands of a guy who has never ever done a damn thing.

we're still playing the same under kap...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has Smith ever done besides ride third fiddle to the running game and defense?

To say what has Smith ever done doesn't really create any significant claim when it could be said the same for Kaep. It's not a solid argument. lol

What is Kaep going to ride? first fiddle? It's still a defense first, running game 2nd and Qb 3rd....

Just now we have a QB that can create the big plays and win the games should we need it. Prime is rolling out!!!! :fencing: